winter hammock

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 13, 2005
      i was pushing it to get the 1st prototype done by the weekend hike,
      but i did! talking about a frankin pod, rat, you should`ve seen this.
      any way, the long edges where very crudly sewn, but every thing was in
      place & it worked GREAT! the hammock body was a speer type
      (or similar to rick`s test hammock, but w/ hemed edges) from
      breathable, $1.00 bin material. the shell was also from walmarts $1.00
      bin but was lighter & with a DWR finish. the insulation (also from
      walmart) was fairfield brand poly-fil, extra-loft batting (two layers
      thick). it probably averaged at least 1 & 1/4" thick. weight- 24 ozs
      w/ straps. this was my 1st atempt & was rather labor intenseive to
      make, but i have plans to make another w/ a meathod that will be much
      easyer & probably lighter. if any one`s interrested, i`ll be glad to
      share more details tomorrow. i hope to have a digital camera soon
      also. thanks...slowhike
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28 3:47 AM
        marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
        aMinor mishap: When I stopped reading and turned off my headlamp, I
        started wriggling around to get comfortable on my side. I heard a
        brief slithering sound and--wham--I was on the ground and rolling
        briskly downhill. After about two revolutions, I fought my way out
        of the Pea Pod, stopped the rolling, and got up to inspect the
        hammock. It was fine. The problem was operator error--one of the
        anchor trees was quite thick and I hadn't secured the strap well
        enough. Fortunately I was only about 6 inches above the ground,
        which was well padded with dry leaves. Unfortunately, I was on a
        steep slope. It would have made a good video...

        Marta

        *** sounds like something i`d do marta. except if i was w/ some of my regular camping partners, they`d make me lay there until they took a picture or two :~} ...tim

        tim garner