RE: Hammock Camping Hammock liners

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2003
      Message
      Hi Amy, when it turns cold, you can combine sleep pads for added insulation--yes it will give more protection.  The thicker the insulation (any insulation), the better.  By itself, a reflective pad is not the magic solution to all cold problems--it is efficient and will work well by itself in a limited temp range--combining it with other pads and/or bottom blankets only makes it more efficient and useful for wider temp ranges.  Trying to judge how much weight and bulk one should carry for proper warmth can be a tough descision. Since trial and error is the best teacher, the past messages posted by the brave souls on this List should give ya some ideas.  There are also some tables of temp vs suggested gear in my book and in the free Jan issue of Hammock Camping News at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS

      Stay warm...Ed