hammock camped for the first time

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
      i finally gave up on the hammock for 2. I made 2 single hammocks
      instead. My girlfriend thought the hammock was really comfortable. well
      we tried them Friday night and it was the best we had ever slept. i
      hung them from the same pair of trees. i interwined a "thumb sized"
      stick in the suspension ropes on each end to spread the 2 hammocks
      apart about 2 feet.

      i could easily throw my arm around her when i wanted to or be far away
      from her by switching diagonal positions. she thought it was the
      greatest thing in the world. the dog slept under us. it was 40 degrees
      out and very windy. i threw 2 8x10 poly tarps over us and totally
      enclosed us from the wind. we never got cold in 20 degree bags and a Z
      rest foldable pad.

      now i just got to add the bugnets and make a nylon tarp.

      thanks everyone for you help. i'm sure i'll come up with other
      questions.

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...> wrote:

        > i finally gave up on the hammock for 2. I made 2 single hammocks
        > instead. My girlfriend thought the hammock was really comfortable.
        well
        > we tried them Friday night and it was the best we had ever slept. i
        > hung them from the same pair of trees. i interwined a "thumb sized"
        > stick in the suspension ropes on each end to spread the 2 hammocks
        > apart about 2 feet.

        Brian,

        I was playing with this a while back and used clove hitches to attach
        the suspension lines to the sticks (I call them struts when I use them
        in this manner). With the polypropylene rope I'm using it worked well
        and released easily. You can form a clove hitch in a line with just a
        couple of loops slid over each other, in the right manner or course...
        you don't really have to tie anything so it works well for this
        application.

        Dave