camping in a Mayan hammock......

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 22, 2003
      Hi Folks,

      I have two Mayan hammocks and don't want to go buy another hammock for
      camping. Has anyone got any particular tips to share about Mayan hammock
      camping, or is Mayan hammock camping forbidden?

      Cheers,

      Christina

      Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

      May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

      May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
      May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
      May your Soul be filled with Peace.
      May your Heart be filled with Love.
      May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
      Peace Be With You Always.
      ~~Christina Moon
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 22, 2003
        Forbidden! Heaven Forbid! Nothing about hammock camping is set in
        stone. In fact we would much rather hang from trees than sit in
        stones.

        The "mayan hammocks" I saw for sale in Hot Springs were made of
        cotton. They were heavy and would have dried out as fast as a pair
        of blue jeans.

        Most of the Mayan Hammocks I have seen hung from posts of homes in
        pictures look like they are hung with a great deal of bananna shape.
        It would be difficult for me to sleep that way... Perhaps you have
        been able to experiment with hanging them a little tighter and
        sleeping across the midline with your back on one side and your feet
        on the other... even allowing sleeping on your side...

        Other than the question about how to hang the thing and the heavy
        cotton, I see no problem. Perhaps you can give us a report.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I have two Mayan hammocks and don't want to go buy another hammock
        for
        > camping. Has anyone got any particular tips to share about Mayan
        hammock
        > camping, or is Mayan hammock camping forbidden?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Christina
        >
        > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
        >
        > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
        >
        > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
        > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
        > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
        > May your Heart be filled with Love.
        > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
        > Peace Be With You Always.
        > ~~Christina Moon
      • Christina Moon
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 22, 2003
          Rick wrote:
          > The "mayan hammocks" I saw for sale in Hot Springs were made of
          > cotton. They were heavy and would have dried out as fast as a pair
          > of blue jeans.
          >
          > Most of the Mayan Hammocks I have seen hung from posts of homes in
          > pictures look like they are hung with a great deal of bananna
          shape.
          > It would be difficult for me to sleep that way

          Christina replies:
          My Mayan hammocks are woven of thin cotton thread. I LOVE them. One
          sleeps in them either across the width or catty-corner. One does not
          sleep end-to-end. I've never gotten them wet, so don't know how fast
          they would dry.

          I bought mine from <www.hammockjungle.com> and <www.hammocks.com>,
          in case anyone wants to see what they look like.

          I just ordered Ed's book.

          SMILES!

          Christina
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 23, 2003
            Message
            Christina, Check out the camping hammock from Four Season Hammocks--it is a cotton Mayan hammock coupled with a tarp and bug net!

            Four Season Hammocks
            1236 Oxborough Lane
            Fort Collins, CO 80525
            877-282-7145

            Thanks for the book order....Ed

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 23, 2003
              Christina--

              I camped in cotton Mayan hammocks (the thin cotton string kind) for
              awhile before I found Hennessy. I hung them with significant slack
              and slept diagonally, as you say, which yields a very comfortable and
              flat position. I rigged a tarp, on the diagonal, over a ridgeline
              that I placed above the hammock. In my conditions, mosquitoes are
              often a big issue, and there's no easy solution for that in a Mayan
              short of using lots of netting to surround the hammock or putting
              yourself in bug-proof clothing or a sleeping bag (if it's cool
              enough) and putting netting over your head and arms. I was very happy
              to find Hennessy, with just as much comfort, good bug and rain
              protection, and far less weight.

              Nevertheless, it was nice to hang in the Mayan in the open air. I
              weathered at least two furiously rainy nights (and mornings) in
              different jungly spots, and it was fascinating to have the rain
              pounding on the tarp and flooding off the edges just inches away from
              my cozy little setup.

              You certainly don't want to let a cotton hammock get wet, though.
              You'd be carrying a boulder in your pack.

              Brandon

              <moonpi@i...> wrote:
              > Rick wrote:
              > > The "mayan hammocks" I saw for sale in Hot Springs were made of
              > > cotton. They were heavy and would have dried out as fast as a
              pair
              > > of blue jeans.
              > >
              > > Most of the Mayan Hammocks I have seen hung from posts of homes
              in
              > > pictures look like they are hung with a great deal of bananna
              > shape.
              > > It would be difficult for me to sleep that way
              >
              > Christina replies:
              > My Mayan hammocks are woven of thin cotton thread. I LOVE them.
              One
              > sleeps in them either across the width or catty-corner. One does
              not
              > sleep end-to-end. I've never gotten them wet, so don't know how
              fast
              > they would dry.
              >
              > I bought mine from <www.hammockjungle.com> and <www.hammocks.com>,
              > in case anyone wants to see what they look like.
              >
              > I just ordered Ed's book.
              >
              > SMILES!
              >
              > Christina
            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 23, 2003
                Brandon:

                Yes... I share similar experiences with you. I started in a
                string hammock, moved to the cloth Tropical Hammock, then
                got a couple of HHs. I don't know what the deal is with
                other HH owners, but I can't seem to convince them that an
                open hammock has its advantages.

                Bear
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                  Bear wrote:

                  I can't seem to convince them that an
                  open hammock has its advantages.

                  Bear,

                  I started the other way round... HH first, then a home-made Speer
                  hammock. One of the great things about the Speer is the removable
                  bug net... turning it into a simple open hammock.

                  I do like the net whenever I want to keep bugs or snow flakes off
                  me. I also find it is a little warmer when the net is installed, it
                  seems to decrease the amount of wind currents in the hammock.

                  This can be used to advantage to remain warm in winter. On the other
                  hand, when needing to cool off, the open hammock with no pad will
                  cool me off almost as effectively as a water bed.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Bear wrote:
                    >
                    > I can't seem to convince them that an
                    > open hammock has its advantages.
                    >
                    > Bear,
                    >
                    > I started the other way round... HH first, then a home-made Speer
                    > hammock. One of the great things about the Speer is the removable
                    > bug net... turning it into a simple open hammock.
                    >
                    > I do like the net whenever I want to keep bugs or snow flakes off
                    > me. I also find it is a little warmer when the net is installed,
                    it
                    > seems to decrease the amount of wind currents in the hammock.
                    >
                    > This can be used to advantage to remain warm in winter. On the
                    other
                    > hand, when needing to cool off, the open hammock with no pad will
                    > cool me off almost as effectively as a water bed.
                    >
                    > Rick

                    I also started out with the HH and have recently tried a home-made
                    Speer hammock. On a recent week long thur-hike on the Benton MacKaye
                    Trail in Georgia and Tennessee, I used the net for about 2 hours
                    total (I took it down when I was convinced the nats where gone). It
                    was great to be able to see and sense the outdoors without the
                    barrier of the net. Without the tarp or with the tarp edges higher
                    that the hammock, it gives an incredable view of the outdoors, even
                    better than the ones I got when I used to tarp-out because of the
                    foot or so elevation advantage. It is also easier to 'deal with' the
                    insulation underneath you.

                    Youngblood
                  • David Chinell
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                      Rick:

                      Yes to all you said, plus I just find getting into and out
                      of an open hammock much easier. I know the HH is DEAD simple
                      to get into and out of, and can be used as a lounge chair,
                      but just not as easily as an open hammock. And it seems like
                      an open hammock easily doubles as a shelf when I'm packing
                      and unpacking.

                      But the HH DOES have a strong advantage when it comes to
                      light weight and convenience, since all the materials you
                      need are neatly fitted together in one package, with a
                      minimum of excess.

                      I guess it would be simple if there was one hammock that was
                      best in all situations -- like it would be nice if there was
                      one set of gear for all temperatures -- but in the end, I
                      don't think I'd be happy without two or three.

                      Bear
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                        Bear wrote:
                        I don't think I'd be happy without two or three.

                        Bear,

                        How can you get by with only two or three?

                        I bought one, I have made two, completely re-designed one of them,
                        and am dreaming up changes already:

                        - use a single width of silnylon for the tarp (that crazy creek
                        looked OK on the trail)
                        - attach the tarp to the straps with elastic cord a al Henessey
                        - roll up the whole thing in hammock tubes a la snakeskins
                        - attach the bug net with stitching on one side and use something in
                        the pack as a weight to hold the other side closed (water bottle,
                        toiletry bag, or something...)

                        Rick
                      • David Chinell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                          Rick:

                          Okay, smart guy. (And I mean that sincerely, having read
                          your other post on how your ridgeline evolved, etc.) Here,
                          false modesty aside, is my hammock roster:

                          2 Nomad Travel Tropical Hammock
                          1 Hammock Bliss Single
                          2 Hennessy Hammock Expedition
                          1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker (Sym)
                          1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym
                          2 Crazy Creek Crazy Crib

                          And those are just the ones I can remember! I'm still
                          looking forward to building my own Speer style hammock some
                          day.

                          Bear

                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                            Bear,

                            I appologize for the embarrasment you have undergone in revealing
                            your hammock fetish. Now that we all know, you are cleared in hot to
                            build/buy/use even more. Wait til you discover you can build a
                            hammock for next to nothing. You might want to put a small amount of
                            money in one pocket and swear you will not spend more than that on a
                            new hammock until the next pay check.

                            ;)

                            Rick <><

                            <dchinell@m...> wrote:
                            > Rick:
                            >
                            > Okay, smart guy. (And I mean that sincerely, having read
                            > your other post on how your ridgeline evolved, etc.) Here,
                            > false modesty aside, is my hammock roster:
                            >
                            > 2 Nomad Travel Tropical Hammock
                            > 1 Hammock Bliss Single
                            > 2 Hennessy Hammock Expedition
                            > 1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker (Sym)
                            > 1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym
                            > 2 Crazy Creek Crazy Crib
                            >
                            > And those are just the ones I can remember! I'm still
                            > looking forward to building my own Speer style hammock some
                            > day.
                            >
                            > Bear

                          • Marge Prothman
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                              Wow........that did it and I thought I was a gear junkie....I have just
                              given away
                              three packs which now leaves me with only three packs, the heaviest weighs 2
                              lbs, but rides lovely, but maybe I will have a 4th after the bidding at the
                              PCT Kickoff at Lake Morena is over this weekend. I am lusting after a New
                              GVP Pack weighs 10 oz. a completely new design. I am not down there, but I
                              have sent my bids via email.

                              By the way, are all those hammocks just for you, or do you have to share
                              with family <:)
                              Cheers,
                              Marge (the old gal)

                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                                Message
                                If this keeps up we may have to start our own HA unit!  Maybe a detoc center for those with SAHs (Severe Acute Hammock-itus).  Nice to know I'll not be the only inmate....Ed

                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                                  Message
                                  Marge, I've been hearing some good things about that pack--let me know how it works if you get it.  I use the 14-oz G-4 for winter time and the 16-oz Breeze for summer--always interested in a lighter pack! ...Ed

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                                    Ed,

                                    Have your sister sew one of these up for you. It tips the scale at
                                    about 9 oz:

                                    http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/ultrajjpack.htm

                                    BTW, why would you use a heavier pack for summer than winter??

                                    Rick <><

                                    Ed wrote: I use the 14-oz G-4 for winter time and the
                                    16-oz Breeze for summer--always interested in a lighter pack!
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 24, 2003
                                      Message
                                      Thanks Rick, I'll check it out

                                      Sorry, the numbers were reversed, sort of...Ed

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                        Thank you all for your great replies to my question about camping in a
                                        Mayan hammock.

                                        Now, if anyone can suggest online resources, articles, etc., for further
                                        information, please let me know.

                                        I ordered Ed's book (Hi, Ed!), and am looking forward to reading it.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Christina

                                        Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

                                        May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

                                        May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
                                        May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
                                        May your Soul be filled with Peace.
                                        May your Heart be filled with Love.
                                        May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
                                        Peace Be With You Always.
                                        ~~Christina Moon
                                      • Coy
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                          You got me beat slightly Bear but I'm gona catch up. I have 4
                                          hammocks (had 5 but had to send one Crazy Crib back) but I plan to
                                          build a Speer like hammock for winter. I may not even add the bug
                                          netting to it as bugs are not much of a problem in winter. Then I
                                          plan on either buying or building a pea-pod. I am still reading Ed's
                                          book and learning new tricks. I though I was buying it just to get
                                          Ed's autograph (and the hammock making directions) but it turns out
                                          the book is full of little tid bits I wasnt aware of or forgot. For
                                          instance I forgot that the further the trees were apart the flatter
                                          a hammock will sleep. I am also considering making a small hammock
                                          with fly just to store my gear off the ground especially in rainy
                                          weather. I like that idea as opposed to storing things under my
                                          hammock but reading Ricks ideas about snaps and velcro is another
                                          alternative. Get it done and some pics posted Rick!

                                          Anyway, my arsonal includes:
                                          My origional HH
                                          2 backpacker Asym HH for the kids
                                          My Crazy Crib LEX from BGT
                                          I have had a few mayan/amazon type multicolored string hammocks in
                                          my yard over the years but eventually they rot so I don't have one
                                          right now.

                                          Coy Boy

                                          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
                                          Here, false modesty aside, is my hammock roster:

                                          > 2 Nomad Travel Tropical Hammock
                                          > 1 Hammock Bliss Single
                                          > 2 Hennessy Hammock Expedition
                                          > 1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker (Sym)
                                          > 1 Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym
                                          > 2 Crazy Creek Crazy Crib
                                          >
                                          > And those are just the ones I can remember! I'm still
                                          > looking forward to building my own Speer style hammock some
                                          > day.

                                          Me to!

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                            Hi Christina,

                                            Let me steal Ed's thunder. Look at the "online resources" near the
                                            end of the April newsletter which can be found here:

                                            http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Apr2003.htm

                                            Have a nice weekend reading.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                              It was written:

                                              I forgot that the further the trees were apart the flatter a hammock
                                              will sleep.

                                              Hmm,

                                              I don't remember the Ed's quote, but this has not been my
                                              experience. I have found that the hammock ends up a little more
                                              rounded out the further the trees are apart. This seems to be due to
                                              the small amount of stretch in the straps.

                                              Of course, the trees need to be far enough apart to be able to pull
                                              the hammock up rather tight to begin with... if the distance is not
                                              at least as long as the hammock, one will be sleeping like a
                                              bananna. But distance past that point seems to get me closer to the
                                              ground and in a little more bent position.

                                              For comparison purposes I use a nylon 1.9 oz ripstop hammock with 1
                                              inch polypropyline web lines each of which is 7 yards long. I can
                                              normally set up the hammock between trees as long as the distance
                                              between them is at least 4 paces (a little more than 10 feet) and
                                              less than 7 paces (about 18 feet). At the long lengths, I can not
                                              use big trees, because there is not enough strap left to make an
                                              effective wrap.

                                              Rick
                                            • Coy
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003

                                                Check out pg.37 second paragraph. I agree this seems to defy
                                                logic. A rope strung between 2 trees will sag more the furthur
                                                apart the attachment points. However, your body will have more room
                                                to level the playing field whan there is sufficient space to play
                                                in. It is true that if you tie off at the same hight you will be
                                                closer to the ground but the point where the hammock starts and
                                                suspension rope ends is lower now. So I would measure from the
                                                hammock end to lowest point on your body, not where the strap
                                                attaches to the tree ( I know you didn't say that or even think it,
                                                just clarifying). I'll have to get my hammocks out and do some
                                                experimenting and see for sure though. Another thing. Ed is skinny
                                                (sorry Ed) and his results might not be the same as mine. LOL

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                                  Coy,

                                                  I buy the argument. Since most of the stretch occurs in the nylon,
                                                  the angles work out such that the distance to the ground is less but
                                                  the angle between the end of the hammock and the support point is
                                                  straighter.

                                                  Pretty strange isn't it!

                                                  I probably had the following on my mind during the previous post:

                                                  This is my 110 pound son in a speer type hammock after a night of
                                                  sleeping... (It also shows one method of using a single tree and a
                                                  truck as support points.)

                                                  http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockandcamper.jpg

                                                  Have a nice weekend,

                                                  Rick <><

                                                • Marge Prothman
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                                    Rick,
                                                    That is a great picture, never thought of using the hammock tied up to the
                                                    truck.

                                                    I do have one comment, the hammock appears to be very close to the ground,
                                                    now I
                                                    would think especially in a HH, I would have a hard time getting out of the
                                                    hammock.
                                                    I think I would have to be on my hands and knees and back out of the HH.

                                                    In the HH I like to get out, by just putting out my legs and standing right
                                                    up. Am I
                                                    missing something here by not having the hammock really low?

                                                    >From wonderful downtown Hailey, Idaho where it is snowing on my daffodils.
                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Marge [The Old Gal]
                                                    http://www.prothman.org/marge

                                                    This is my 110 pound son in a speer type hammock after a night of
                                                    sleeping... (It also shows one method of using a single tree and a
                                                    truck as support points.)

                                                    http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockandcamper.jpg

                                                    Have a nice weekend,
                                                  • Shane Steinkamp
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 25, 2003
                                                      > Now, if anyone can suggest online resources, articles, etc., for
                                                      > further information, please let me know.

                                                      Christina, have you seen:

                                                      www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.htm ?

                                                      Shane
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 27, 2003
                                                        Marge,

                                                        Actually the idea of using a truck comes from Ed's book. He just
                                                        mentions he did it, not how. I originally thought I would just pass
                                                        the strap through the window and out the back (King Cab) side window,
                                                        but there was this kayak rack just sitting there...

                                                        My recommendation is to cut a piece of 2x4 (you have to trim it) that
                                                        fits in one of the holes around the bed. Just put that little stick
                                                        (about 18 inches long) into the hole so it is supported at the bottom
                                                        and at it's neck. It will be sticking up about 6 inches. Tie one
                                                        end of the hammock to that and one end to a tree.

                                                        Given a choice, I think it works a little better to attach from the
                                                        end of the truck so the truck can not lean to one side with the
                                                        weight of the hammock (letting the hammock down in the process).

                                                        You don't miss a thing do you?? No, being that low has lots of
                                                        disadvantages and the only advantage is for those who do not trust
                                                        their knot tying skills and can't sleep higher.

                                                        Disadvantages:
                                                        - harder to get out of the hammock
                                                        - abrasion of the hammock material on the ground
                                                        - splash of water drops onto the hammock

                                                        Why was it that way? The tie points are quite far apart and the
                                                        truck attachment is just a little above waist level. The further
                                                        apart, the further I sink. Also that black nylon seems to stretch a
                                                        little more than some others across a long moist night. The picture
                                                        was taken just before we broke camp.

                                                        Why did I not make it tighter or move the truck? It had something to
                                                        do with what JR Tate has called "the look" when I said I was going to
                                                        move the truck to cut off more of the view of the sea shore so my
                                                        hammock would not hang so low.... Camping is essentially a series of
                                                        compromises.

                                                        Rick

                                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > Rick,
                                                        > That is a great picture, never thought of using the hammock tied up
                                                        to the
                                                        > truck.
                                                        >
                                                        > I do have one comment, the hammock appears to be very close to the
                                                        ground,
                                                        > now I
                                                        > would think especially in a HH, I would have a hard time getting
                                                        out of the
                                                        > hammock.
                                                        > I think I would have to be on my hands and knees and back out of
                                                        the HH.

                                                        > In the HH I like to get out, by just putting out my legs and
                                                        standing right
                                                        > up. Am I
                                                        > missing something here by not having the hammock really low?
                                                        >
                                                        > >From wonderful downtown Hailey, Idaho where it is snowing on my
                                                        daffodils.
                                                        > Cheers,
                                                        > Marge [The Old Gal]
                                                        > http://www.prothman.org/marge
                                                        >

                                                        > This is my 110 pound son in a speer type hammock after a night of
                                                        > sleeping... (It also shows one method of using a single tree and a
                                                        > truck as support points.)
                                                        >
                                                        > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockandcamper.jpg
                                                        >
                                                        > Have a nice weekend,
                                                      • Marge Prothman
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 27, 2003
                                                          Good Call Rick,
                                                          When I saw that picture I thought, wow what an easy way for me to get the
                                                          hammock taut.
                                                          Arthritic hands you know. So I thought I could just tie it to the tree and
                                                          then tie it too the truck and bingo, just pull the truck forward until my
                                                          ridgeline was taut.....
                                                          Thanks for sharing,
                                                          Cheers,
                                                          Marge [The Old Gal]
                                                          http://www.prothman.org/marge

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 28, 2003
                                                            Marge wrote:

                                                            So I thought I could just tie it to the tree and
                                                            > then tie it too the truck and bingo, just pull the truck forward
                                                            until my
                                                            > ridgeline was taut.....

                                                            This seems like a very effective way to destroy a hammock. To make
                                                            it more likely to work, open the hammock on a gravel road leading to
                                                            a busy gravel pit for 24 hours before tying it to the pick-up. ;)

                                                            Nah, just pulling your leg. I think the destructive dose of pull
                                                            would be too close to the effective dose of pull to make this very
                                                            useful.

                                                            Rick
                                                          • blqysmg
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 28, 2003
                                                              Christina,

                                                              I discovered hammocks about five years ago when I visited the
                                                              Yucatan peninsula. Mayan Territory. I had always thought of
                                                              hammocks as those tippy things with a bar at both ends and a net in
                                                              the middle. Not very trustworthy, and while comfortable for a mid-
                                                              afternoon nap, they would hurt your back after about an hour.

                                                              When I left the Americanized city of Cancun, however, I discovered
                                                              that just about everyone in that part of Mexico sleeps full time in a
                                                              hammock. They didn't use the bar at each end, because it makes the
                                                              hammock tippy and uncomfortable. They also don't pull the hammock
                                                              tight.

                                                              I have several great pictures from the trip that shows true Mayan
                                                              indians, (some of which still don't speak Spanish) sleeping or
                                                              resting in their hammocks. They hang the hammocks from beams in the
                                                              ceiling of their homes (about 7 1/2 feet high) and let them droop
                                                              down to about three feet.

                                                              When they sleep, they do so at an angle, so that their heads and
                                                              their feet are level, with only a slight dip for their, um, middle
                                                              sections.

                                                              I bought a hammock on the spot, and brought it home. I put it up on
                                                              posts that hold up the roof on my back porch. We spend several years
                                                              of bliss rocking in that hammock. My wife nursed both of my boys in
                                                              it, and we let both boys drift off to sleep many a afternoon nap in
                                                              the hammock.

                                                              Eventually, it gave in to the weather, and had to be replaced. I
                                                              wouldn't trade the memories for anything. I have a solid
                                                              fabric "Speer" hammock now, and I hang it in the traditional mayan
                                                              fashion. I've spent many nights out in it, covered by a tarp, and
                                                              lots of sunny days, swinging in the breeze. The only difference in
                                                              the two is that I didn't want to spend a week or more stringing the
                                                              three miles of string that would be required to make a full sized
                                                              (double) mayan hammock. Otherwise, they work the same way.

                                                              I've even built a hammock stand for the yard, and for camping where
                                                              there aren't any trees. I used two pairs of eight foot bamboo poles,
                                                              tied in a tall X, where the crossing point is about a foot from the
                                                              top end. Stake down one end, and hook the hammock to the other, and
                                                              your done.

                                                              If I could get the wife to give up the King Sized bed, I'd move it
                                                              out in a minute. Some battles aren't worth fighting, though.

                                                              Welcome to the world of Hammock Fanatics, you're in good company.

                                                              David Chamness