Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Hammock Camping] hennessy undercover/pad

Expand Messages
  • iobstce
    Didn t think you were shilling for Jordan. It is interesting though. Jordan is employed by Montana State University. I d be willing to bet he whines with the
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Didn't think you were shilling for Jordan. It is interesting though.
      Jordan is employed by Montana State University. I'd be willing to bet
      he whines with the best of them when he doesn't get free access to the
      information he feels he is entitled to. Your idea of the lightly and
      more heavily insulated hammocks has possibilities. Have you thought
      about protecting the insulation (& yourself) from air currents? Not
      going to go back & check the last thousand or so posts so if you have
      disregard. Have kept up with the information/arguments over the
      thermal dynamics of staying warm in a hammock. Have the notion that
      efficient and effective hammock insulation would best mimic the
      insulative/reflective characteristics of a spacecraft. Makes sense
      because its the harshest environment we know of. Helping the
      insulation do its job most effectively here on Terra is probably best
      effected by a good tarp, a vapor barrier underliner, and perhaps an
      overliner. Am personally taking a close look at Hennessy's under &
      over liners for blocking the thermal shifts. Don't think his pads are
      worth a hoot though. Would use something else such as closed cell foam.
      CEHI

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > carl... no i`m not trying to talk anyone into paying to get a
      subscription to backpackinglight.com. i have mixed feelings about
      it too. there`s a lot of great info there but i also feel i was dealt
      w/ rather impersonaly early on in my dealings w/ them. i aint in no
      rhyan jordan fan club. i just go & see what they have to offer. i hope
      my bad experiance was just due to more growth than they where ready to
      handle, because they have a lot to offer... just as long as they don`t
      get the big head. on the insulated hammock... my thinking is
      that a hammock w/ insulation permantly attached, you still have quite
      a bit of flexability. your only insulating from the bottom & sides.
      how you cover from the top w/ a quilt will mke a lot of differance. a
      lot like a bed you sleep on at home. for the same reason that the same
      sleeping bag or quilt will not be suitable for all seasons i plan to
      make at least two insulated hammocks; one lighly insulated & one more
      heavyly insulated. i belive
      > having the insulation attached directly to the bottom of the
      hammock will do a couple things. it will do away w/ one layer of
      fabric needed for an under quilt along w/ attachment straps/cords.
      also it does away w/ having to make adjustments to get the under quilt
      snug up aganst the bottom of the hammock so there are no air pockets &
      yet not getting it so tight that your not compressing the insulation.
      ...slowhike
    • jmgiv47
      ... I ve never felt like part of a clique. But I guess that s natural when I only paid $29 to be elite. ;) john
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...> wrote:
        > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have (&
        > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of an
        > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >

        I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess that's natural when
        I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)

        john
      • Carl Iobst
        Don t forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said. (hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of the American Museum in New York City) CEHI ... Train
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2005
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
          (hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
          the American Museum in New York City)
          CEHI

          --- jmgiv47 <jmgarberson@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
          > <iobstce@y...> wrote:
          > > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have
          > (&
          > > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of
          > an
          > > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >
          >
          > I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess
          > that's natural when
          > I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)
          >
          > john
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >


          Train virtual, live Real!!!
          ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)



          __________________________________
          Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • jmgiv47
          Are you talking about the sucker quote? That s quite a change from cliquish elitists. Now we re simply talking worth. Of course,that is determined by those
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 11, 2005
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's quite a change from
            cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth. Of course,that
            is determined by those who willingly supply a good to those that
            willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon price. P.T. may
            have never known he was undercharging his customers...maybe that's
            why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)

            My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and discounts on
            clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost. There's a good
            amount of solid info available making the subscription at least as
            worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think it's a good price
            for the 'intellectual property.'

            It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
            who have seen the content.

            john

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>
            wrote:
            >
            > Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
            > (hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
            > the American Museum in New York City)
            > CEHI
            >
            > --- jmgiv47 <jmgarberson@h...> wrote:
            >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
            > > <iobstce@y...> wrote:
            > > > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have
            > > (&
            > > > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of
            > > an
            > > > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >
            > >
            > > I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess
            > > that's natural when
            > > I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)
            > >
            > > john
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            > Train virtual, live Real!!!
            > ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's
            Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)
            >
            >
            >
            > __________________________________
            > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
            > http://farechase.yahoo.com
            >
          • jwj32542
            ... I was hesitant to pay the fee, but I decided to pay when they started publishing hammock stuff. I m glad I did, and I think it s a fair price considering
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 11, 2005
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmgiv47" <jmgarberson@h...>
              wrote:
              > It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
              > who have seen the content.

              I was hesitant to pay the fee, but I decided to pay when they
              started publishing hammock stuff. I'm glad I did, and I think it's
              a fair price considering that one purchase can easily get me a
              discount that exceeds the membership fee.

              I think the articles are excellent, but the forums aren't as easy to
              use as others - the "new posts" doesn't sort by thread they way WB
              does, for example. (Maybe there's an option in there I just haven't
              found yet, though.)

              Regarding elitism, there are a few people on those forums who get
              crotchety when they don't get the respect they think they deserve,
              but not many and they're easy enough to ignore when they get that
              way. (Not that other forums are immune from that, either.)

              All in all, I think the membership fee was worth it. They also have
              a guarantee to return your money if you don't want to stay.
            • jack_tier
              ... ... Group ... Jeff wrote ... with. To add. I too took about a year to join ...then found a lot of good articles... enough to be worth
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
                wrote:
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmgiv47"
                <jmgarberson@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this
                Group
                > > who have seen the content.
                Jeff wrote
                > I was hesitant to pay the fee.....and somegood point that I agree
                with.

                To add.

                I too took about a year to join ...then found a lot of good
                articles... enough to be worth the subscription, IMHO...gear
                discounts are a bonus.

                There are many who push the limits in technique and gear in the
                forums of this site... There is a lot to learn and a lot to
                ignore.... I consider these forum and the extreme ultra light views
                of Ryan Jordan and his staff to be a major ongoing labratory of
                thought and experimentation for ultralight hiking that was begun (
                or atleast publically launched) by Ray jardine's, " Beyond
                Backpacking".

                I would bet that the majority of folks who regularly contribute new
                thoughts, suggestions, techniques, gear projects, and /or
                constructive response on critique requests on new/emerging items on
                this forum and Whiteblaze are also active or monitoring
                Backpackinglight.

                My $0.02.

                Pan
              • Dick Matthews
                The BPL subscription is clearly a better value than Backpacker magazine. You can get the entire subscription back with product discounts. I trust the integrity
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  The BPL subscription is clearly a better value than Backpacker magazine.

                  You can get the entire subscription back with product discounts.

                  I trust the integrity of all reviewers, but the products selected for
                  review is not influenced by advertising. I suspect that major
                  Backpacker advertisers can ask that a review not be published while
                  product development continues.

                  A subscription and buying products supports leading edge product
                  development. I also encourage you to buy Speer, JRB, OES, HH, etc.
                  products for the same reason.

                  Dick Matthews

                  jmgiv47 wrote:

                  >Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's quite a change from
                  >cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth. Of course,that
                  >is determined by those who willingly supply a good to those that
                  >willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon price. P.T. may
                  >have never known he was undercharging his customers...maybe that's
                  >why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)
                  >
                  >My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and discounts on
                  >clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost. There's a good
                  >amount of solid info available making the subscription at least as
                  >worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think it's a good price
                  >for the 'intellectual property.'
                  >
                  >It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
                  >who have seen the content.
                  >
                  >john
                  >
                  >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>
                  >wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >>Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
                  >>(hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
                  >>the American Museum in New York City)
                  >>CEHI
                  >>
                  >>
                • Carl Iobst
                  No. The sign said This way to the Egress. It was a device to get people to leave the museum and pay again to re-enter. Barnum was a showman and so is this
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    No. The sign said "This way to the Egress." It was a
                    device to get people to leave the museum and pay again
                    to re-enter. Barnum was a showman and so is this guy
                    Jordan. He's still an elitist though--especially when
                    there are others who are willing to share their
                    experiences and receive in kind.
                    CEHI


                    > jmgiv47 wrote:
                    >
                    > >Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's
                    > quite a change from
                    > >cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth.
                    > Of course,that
                    > >is determined by those who willingly supply a good
                    > to those that
                    > >willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon
                    > price. P.T. may
                    > >have never known he was undercharging his
                    > customers...maybe that's
                    > >why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)
                    > >
                    > >My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and
                    > discounts on
                    > >clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost.
                    > There's a good
                    > >amount of solid info available making the
                    > subscription at least as
                    > >worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think
                    > it's a good price
                    > >for the 'intellectual property.'
                    > >
                    > >It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those
                    > on this Group
                    > >who have seen the content.
                    > >
                    > >john
                    > >
                    > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
                    > <iobstce@y...>
                    > >wrote:
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >>Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
                    > >>(hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear
                    > door of
                    > >>the American Museum in New York City)
                    > >>CEHI
                    > >>
                    > >>
                    >
                    >


                    Train virtual, live Real!!!
                    ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)




                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Carl Iobst
                    Essentially Jordan s whole mindset is high tech Mr. Wizard stuff. He s almost at the point of diminishing returns and into complete redundancy. He s not
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 13, 2005
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Essentially Jordan's whole mindset is high tech 'Mr.
                      Wizard' stuff. He's almost at the point of diminishing
                      returns and into complete redundancy. He's not
                      shaving pounds or ounces anymore. He's only managing
                      to lose a few grams here or there.
                      To get to the future of ultralight you have to go back
                      to the past.
                      CEHI

                      --- jack_tier <jacktier@...> wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542"
                      > <jwj32542@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmgiv47"
                      > <jmgarberson@h...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of
                      > those on this
                      > Group
                      > > > who have seen the content.
                      > Jeff wrote
                      > > I was hesitant to pay the fee.....and somegood
                      > point that I agree
                      > with.
                      >
                      > To add.
                      >
                      > I too took about a year to join ...then found a lot
                      > of good
                      > articles... enough to be worth the subscription,
                      > IMHO...gear
                      > discounts are a bonus.
                      >
                      > There are many who push the limits in technique and
                      > gear in the
                      > forums of this site... There is a lot to learn and a
                      > lot to
                      > ignore.... I consider these forum and the extreme
                      > ultra light views
                      > of Ryan Jordan and his staff to be a major ongoing
                      > labratory of
                      > thought and experimentation for ultralight hiking
                      > that was begun (
                      > or atleast publically launched) by Ray jardine's, "
                      > Beyond
                      > Backpacking".
                      >
                      > I would bet that the majority of folks who regularly
                      > contribute new
                      > thoughts, suggestions, techniques, gear projects,
                      > and /or
                      > constructive response on critique requests on
                      > new/emerging items on
                      > this forum and Whiteblaze are also active or
                      > monitoring
                      > Backpackinglight.
                      >
                      > My $0.02.
                      >
                      > Pan
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >


                      Train virtual, live Real!!!
                      ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)



                      __________________________________
                      Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      ... But thats OK isn t it? Not my style but....hike your own hike. Ralph
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2005
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 11/13/05, Carl Iobst <iobstce@...> wrote:
                        > Essentially Jordan's whole mindset is high tech 'Mr.
                        > Wizard' stuff. He's almost at the point of diminishing
                        > returns and into complete redundancy. He's not
                        > shaving pounds or ounces anymore. He's only managing
                        > to lose a few grams here or there.


                        But thats OK isn't it?

                        Not my style but....hike your own hike.


                        Ralph
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.