Re: [Hammock Camping] First Night Had to Bail

  • little_daddy979
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
      I also did my first test a few nights ago. I was trying out my
      homemade asym (whipped ends, parallelagram shape). I used a 10 deg.
      Jardine quilt, homemade VB bag, torso length walmart eggcrate pad,
      fleece hat, cotton sweatshirt, wool socks, and med weight polyester
      pants.
      It got down to about 37 that night.

      I wore the cotton sweatshirt to test the VB bags effect on clothes, and
      it wasnt bad at all. I would say the bag added a good 10-15 degrees
      and didn't significantly dampen the cotton sweatshirt. By bottom was a
      bit cool, but no bad, but my sides couldnt get insulated well. I would
      have had to bail except the VB bag circulated the heat pretty well. It
      was like a luke warm sauna. I would recommend giving a vapor barrier
      bag a try.

      - David in N. GA
    • rexhardy2003
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
        Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also be
        in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
        time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but if
        the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use my
        good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
        temps this time of year.

        Rex

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
        <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

        > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
        > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
        over
        > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
        > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
        bed.
        > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but
        with
        > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
        been
        > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
        > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
        have
        > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
        easily
        > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
        next
        > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
        > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
        >
        > Rex

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
          Another thing you could have done is lift the top part of the bag up
          and out of the hammock, allowing it to drape over the outside of the
          hammock on both sides of you, while still keeping your feet in the
          footbox. This makes a pocket of warm air over your body but lets
          more of the heat out.

          Anyway, having been comfortable, you are hooked now, so have fun and
          good luck.

          Bill in Houston

          > Rex,
          >
          > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature
          that
          > required bailing out for being hot.
          >
          > I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
          > underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.
          >
          > Rick
          >
          > rexhardy2003 wrote:
          >
          > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
          > > cold enough for what I used.
        • rexhardy2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
            Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
            homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
            it comfortably through the night. Getting up this am for the "bio"
            break was a little rough but the night was OK. Tonight is supposed
            to be a little warmer but I may stay out again to try and get more
            adjusted to sleeping in the hammock. I appreciate all the insight
            and advice that this group brings for those like me just getting
            started.

            <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

            > Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also
            be
            > in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
            > time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but
            if
            > the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use
            my
            > good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
            > temps this time of year.
            >
            > Rex
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
            > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's
            aren't
            > > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
            > over
            > > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long
            underwear.
            > > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
            > bed.
            > > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag
            but
            > with
            > > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
            > been
            > > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
            > > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
            > have
            > > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
            > easily
            > > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
            > next
            > > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying
            it
            > > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
            > >
            > > Rex

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
              <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

              > Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
              > homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
              > it comfortably through the night.

              What kind of pad do you use?

              Jeff
            • rexhardy2003
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                Jeff,

                I used the cheap CC pad from Wal-Mart. Using the SPE I had two
                layers directly under my back for about 3/4 length of the hammock.
                Seemed to work rather well.