RE: [Hammock Camping] First Night Had to Bail

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
      Glad to hear your satisfaction with hammocks Rich. I too find my hammock
      prevents the lower back pain I get from sleeping in a bed. And your stay
      warm testing is off to a good start—you’ll soon get the hang of it. At
      those temps, a simple ½” thick CC foam pad should do the trick. And of
      course a pad extender would give you an additional 10 or 20” of width.…..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
        I also did my first test a few nights ago. I was trying out my
        homemade asym (whipped ends, parallelagram shape). I used a 10 deg.
        Jardine quilt, homemade VB bag, torso length walmart eggcrate pad,
        fleece hat, cotton sweatshirt, wool socks, and med weight polyester
        pants.
        It got down to about 37 that night.

        I wore the cotton sweatshirt to test the VB bags effect on clothes, and
        it wasnt bad at all. I would say the bag added a good 10-15 degrees
        and didn't significantly dampen the cotton sweatshirt. By bottom was a
        bit cool, but no bad, but my sides couldnt get insulated well. I would
        have had to bail except the VB bag circulated the heat pretty well. It
        was like a luke warm sauna. I would recommend giving a vapor barrier
        bag a try.

        - David in N. GA
      • rexhardy2003
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
          Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also be
          in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
          time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but if
          the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use my
          good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
          temps this time of year.

          Rex

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
          <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

          > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
          > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
          over
          > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
          > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
          bed.
          > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but
          with
          > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
          been
          > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
          > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
          have
          > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
          easily
          > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
          next
          > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
          > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
          >
          > Rex

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
            Another thing you could have done is lift the top part of the bag up
            and out of the hammock, allowing it to drape over the outside of the
            hammock on both sides of you, while still keeping your feet in the
            footbox. This makes a pocket of warm air over your body but lets
            more of the heat out.

            Anyway, having been comfortable, you are hooked now, so have fun and
            good luck.

            Bill in Houston

            > Rex,
            >
            > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature
            that
            > required bailing out for being hot.
            >
            > I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
            > underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > rexhardy2003 wrote:
            >
            > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
            > > cold enough for what I used.
          • rexhardy2003
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
              Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
              homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
              it comfortably through the night. Getting up this am for the "bio"
              break was a little rough but the night was OK. Tonight is supposed
              to be a little warmer but I may stay out again to try and get more
              adjusted to sleeping in the hammock. I appreciate all the insight
              and advice that this group brings for those like me just getting
              started.

              <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

              > Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also
              be
              > in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
              > time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but
              if
              > the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use
              my
              > good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
              > temps this time of year.
              >
              > Rex
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
              > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's
              aren't
              > > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
              > over
              > > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long
              underwear.
              > > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
              > bed.
              > > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag
              but
              > with
              > > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
              > been
              > > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
              > > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
              > have
              > > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
              > easily
              > > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
              > next
              > > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying
              it
              > > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
              > >
              > > Rex

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                > Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                > homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                > it comfortably through the night.

                What kind of pad do you use?

                Jeff
              • rexhardy2003
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Jeff,

                  I used the cheap CC pad from Wal-Mart. Using the SPE I had two
                  layers directly under my back for about 3/4 length of the hammock.
                  Seemed to work rather well.