Re: [Hammock Camping] First Night Had to Bail

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
      I did my first night last night, too. I had better results.
      Gear:
      HH Explorer UL Asym
      Big Agnes Horse Thief (35 deg. down "top bag")
      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy shape

      Clothing:
      Duofold Thermax med-weight top
      Cotton briefs
      Silk bottoms
      no socks
      polypro balaclava folded up into a skull cap

      Weather: low of 50 deg at 4:30 AM, light breeze, fog rolling in,
      dripping off trees, probably from fog.

      I was basically warm and comfy. I would say that the pad was not cold,
      perhaps tepid,, but I think I'd like to be a little warmer. I decided
      to try the bag loose from the pad (there's a sleeve in the bottom of the
      bag to hold the pad) to see if that would make it easier to roll onto my
      side. It was easy, but it also made it easier to expose the uninsulated
      bottom of the bag, which made that area cold. Next time I'm going to
      try the pad in the bag. The pad is 20" wide, which I think is kind of
      narrow - the bottom of my upper arms got a bit chilled when resting on
      the uninsulated hammock. Maybe one of those pad extenders would do the
      trick.

      I only woke up twice between 10:30 PM and 6:30 AM, (both times to pee)
      which for me is a great success over sleeping on the ground and waking
      up in pain every hour or so (lower back issues). I slept mostly on my
      back with one leg straight and one bent, like the number 4.

      I think hammock camping is going to be a winner! I just need to nail
      down the insulation thing. I can see that having the insulation under
      the hammock, instead of fighting with pads inside is the way to go. I
      like the concept of the JRB nest, but that's a lot of extra weight, in
      relation to a pad used by ground sleepers.

      I look forward to more experimentation. This is fun! Next will be my
      Thermarest 26" x 72" x 2" used inside the hammock.

      Rich
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
        Glad to hear your satisfaction with hammocks Rich. I too find my hammock
        prevents the lower back pain I get from sleeping in a bed. And your stay
        warm testing is off to a good start—you’ll soon get the hang of it. At
        those temps, a simple ½” thick CC foam pad should do the trick. And of
        course a pad extender would give you an additional 10 or 20” of width.…..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

      • little_daddy979
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
          I also did my first test a few nights ago. I was trying out my
          homemade asym (whipped ends, parallelagram shape). I used a 10 deg.
          Jardine quilt, homemade VB bag, torso length walmart eggcrate pad,
          fleece hat, cotton sweatshirt, wool socks, and med weight polyester
          pants.
          It got down to about 37 that night.

          I wore the cotton sweatshirt to test the VB bags effect on clothes, and
          it wasnt bad at all. I would say the bag added a good 10-15 degrees
          and didn't significantly dampen the cotton sweatshirt. By bottom was a
          bit cool, but no bad, but my sides couldnt get insulated well. I would
          have had to bail except the VB bag circulated the heat pretty well. It
          was like a luke warm sauna. I would recommend giving a vapor barrier
          bag a try.

          - David in N. GA
        • rexhardy2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
            Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also be
            in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
            time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but if
            the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use my
            good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
            temps this time of year.

            Rex

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
            <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

            > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
            > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
            over
            > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
            > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
            bed.
            > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but
            with
            > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
            been
            > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
            > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
            have
            > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
            easily
            > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
            next
            > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
            > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
            >
            > Rex

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
              Another thing you could have done is lift the top part of the bag up
              and out of the hammock, allowing it to drape over the outside of the
              hammock on both sides of you, while still keeping your feet in the
              footbox. This makes a pocket of warm air over your body but lets
              more of the heat out.

              Anyway, having been comfortable, you are hooked now, so have fun and
              good luck.

              Bill in Houston

              > Rex,
              >
              > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature
              that
              > required bailing out for being hot.
              >
              > I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
              > underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.
              >
              > Rick
              >
              > rexhardy2003 wrote:
              >
              > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
              > > cold enough for what I used.
            • rexhardy2003
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                it comfortably through the night. Getting up this am for the "bio"
                break was a little rough but the night was OK. Tonight is supposed
                to be a little warmer but I may stay out again to try and get more
                adjusted to sleeping in the hammock. I appreciate all the insight
                and advice that this group brings for those like me just getting
                started.

                <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                > Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also
                be
                > in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
                > time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but
                if
                > the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use
                my
                > good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
                > temps this time of year.
                >
                > Rex
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
                > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's
                aren't
                > > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
                > over
                > > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long
                underwear.
                > > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
                > bed.
                > > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag
                but
                > with
                > > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
                > been
                > > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
                > > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
                > have
                > > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
                > easily
                > > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
                > next
                > > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying
                it
                > > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
                > >
                > > Rex

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                  <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                  > Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                  > homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                  > it comfortably through the night.

                  What kind of pad do you use?

                  Jeff
                • rexhardy2003
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Jeff,

                    I used the cheap CC pad from Wal-Mart. Using the SPE I had two
                    layers directly under my back for about 3/4 length of the hammock.
                    Seemed to work rather well.