Re: [Hammock Camping] hennessy undercover/pad

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
      carl... no i`m not trying to talk anyone into paying to get a subscription to backpackinglight.com. i have mixed feelings about it too. there`s a lot of great info there but i also feel i was dealt w/ rather impersonaly early on in my dealings w/ them. i aint in no rhyan jordan fan club. i just go & see what they have to offer. i hope my bad experiance was just due to more growth than they where ready to handle, because they have a lot to offer... just as long as they don`t get the big head. on the insulated hammock... my thinking is that a hammock w/ insulation permantly attached, you still have quite a bit of flexability. your only insulating from the bottom & sides. how you cover from the top w/ a quilt will mke a lot of differance. a lot like a bed you sleep on at home. for the same reason that the same sleeping bag or quilt will not be suitable for all seasons i plan to make at least two insulated hammocks; one lighly insulated & one more heavyly insulated. i belive
      having the insulation attached directly to the bottom of the hammock will do a couple things. it will do away w/ one layer of fabric needed for an under quilt along w/ attachment straps/cords. also it does away w/ having to make adjustments to get the under quilt snug up aganst the bottom of the hammock so there are no air pockets & yet not getting it so tight that your not compressing the insulation. ...slowhike
      Carl Iobst <iobstce@...> wrote:Tim,
      Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have (&
      never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of an
      elite clique of backpackers on the web. You're right.
      Dr. Allnut (MD) has been there & done that already.
      Unfortunately sewing a pad onto the bottom of a
      hammock, although convienient, reduces the versatility
      of that piece of equipment (IMHO)which keeps me from
      being flexible with nature not battling it. Not unlike
      a species if a piece of equipment does only one thing
      really well & nature throws a different set of
      conditions at it there is no successful adaptation
      only suffering the consequences. Don't let that deter
      you though. Test away That's a big part of the fun
      of each trip for me--trying something new, but having
      a back-up in case it doesn't perform as effectively as
      I thought it might.
      Cordially,
      CEHI
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .

      .

      tim garner

    • iobstce
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
        Didn't think you were shilling for Jordan. It is interesting though.
        Jordan is employed by Montana State University. I'd be willing to bet
        he whines with the best of them when he doesn't get free access to the
        information he feels he is entitled to. Your idea of the lightly and
        more heavily insulated hammocks has possibilities. Have you thought
        about protecting the insulation (& yourself) from air currents? Not
        going to go back & check the last thousand or so posts so if you have
        disregard. Have kept up with the information/arguments over the
        thermal dynamics of staying warm in a hammock. Have the notion that
        efficient and effective hammock insulation would best mimic the
        insulative/reflective characteristics of a spacecraft. Makes sense
        because its the harshest environment we know of. Helping the
        insulation do its job most effectively here on Terra is probably best
        effected by a good tarp, a vapor barrier underliner, and perhaps an
        overliner. Am personally taking a close look at Hennessy's under &
        over liners for blocking the thermal shifts. Don't think his pads are
        worth a hoot though. Would use something else such as closed cell foam.
        CEHI

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

        > carl... no i`m not trying to talk anyone into paying to get a
        subscription to backpackinglight.com. i have mixed feelings about
        it too. there`s a lot of great info there but i also feel i was dealt
        w/ rather impersonaly early on in my dealings w/ them. i aint in no
        rhyan jordan fan club. i just go & see what they have to offer. i hope
        my bad experiance was just due to more growth than they where ready to
        handle, because they have a lot to offer... just as long as they don`t
        get the big head. on the insulated hammock... my thinking is
        that a hammock w/ insulation permantly attached, you still have quite
        a bit of flexability. your only insulating from the bottom & sides.
        how you cover from the top w/ a quilt will mke a lot of differance. a
        lot like a bed you sleep on at home. for the same reason that the same
        sleeping bag or quilt will not be suitable for all seasons i plan to
        make at least two insulated hammocks; one lighly insulated & one more
        heavyly insulated. i belive
        > having the insulation attached directly to the bottom of the
        hammock will do a couple things. it will do away w/ one layer of
        fabric needed for an under quilt along w/ attachment straps/cords.
        also it does away w/ having to make adjustments to get the under quilt
        snug up aganst the bottom of the hammock so there are no air pockets &
        yet not getting it so tight that your not compressing the insulation.
        ...slowhike
      • jmgiv47
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...> wrote:
          > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have (&
          > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of an
          > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >

          I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess that's natural when
          I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)

          john
        • Carl Iobst
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2005
            Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
            (hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
            the American Museum in New York City)
            CEHI

            --- jmgiv47 <jmgarberson@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
            > <iobstce@y...> wrote:
            > > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have
            > (&
            > > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of
            > an
            > > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >
            >
            > I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess
            > that's natural when
            > I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)
            >
            > john

            Train virtual, live Real!!!
            ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • jmgiv47
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 11, 2005
              Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's quite a change from
              cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth. Of course,that
              is determined by those who willingly supply a good to those that
              willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon price. P.T. may
              have never known he was undercharging his customers...maybe that's
              why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)

              My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and discounts on
              clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost. There's a good
              amount of solid info available making the subscription at least as
              worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think it's a good price
              for the 'intellectual property.'

              It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
              who have seen the content.

              john

              wrote:

              > Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
              > (hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
              > the American Museum in New York City)
              > CEHI
              >
              > --- jmgiv47 <jmgarberson@h...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
              > > <iobstce@y...> wrote:
              > > > Appreciate the heads-up on the article. Never have
              > > (&
              > > > never will) bought into Ryan Jordan's creation of
              > > an
              > > > elite clique of backpackers on the web. >
              > >
              > > I've never felt like part of a clique. But I guess
              > > that's natural when
              > > I only paid $29 to be elite. ;)
              > >
              > > john
              > >

              > Train virtual, live Real!!!
              > ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's
              Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

              > __________________________________
              > http://farechase.yahoo.com

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 11, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmgiv47" <jmgarberson@h...>
                wrote:
                > It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
                > who have seen the content.

                I was hesitant to pay the fee, but I decided to pay when they
                started publishing hammock stuff. I'm glad I did, and I think it's
                a fair price considering that one purchase can easily get me a
                discount that exceeds the membership fee.

                I think the articles are excellent, but the forums aren't as easy to
                use as others - the "new posts" doesn't sort by thread they way WB
                does, for example. (Maybe there's an option in there I just haven't
                found yet, though.)

                Regarding elitism, there are a few people on those forums who get
                crotchety when they don't get the respect they think they deserve,
                but not many and they're easy enough to ignore when they get that
                way. (Not that other forums are immune from that, either.)

                All in all, I think the membership fee was worth it. They also have
                a guarantee to return your money if you don't want to stay.
              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmgiv47"
                  <jmgarberson@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this
                  Group
                  > > who have seen the content.
                  Jeff wrote
                  > I was hesitant to pay the fee.....and somegood point that I agree
                  with.

                  To add.

                  I too took about a year to join ...then found a lot of good
                  articles... enough to be worth the subscription, IMHO...gear
                  discounts are a bonus.

                  There are many who push the limits in technique and gear in the
                  forums of this site... There is a lot to learn and a lot to
                  ignore.... I consider these forum and the extreme ultra light views
                  of Ryan Jordan and his staff to be a major ongoing labratory of
                  thought and experimentation for ultralight hiking that was begun (
                  or atleast publically launched) by Ray jardine's, " Beyond
                  Backpacking".

                  I would bet that the majority of folks who regularly contribute new
                  thoughts, suggestions, techniques, gear projects, and /or
                  constructive response on critique requests on new/emerging items on
                  this forum and Whiteblaze are also active or monitoring
                  Backpackinglight.

                  My $0.02.

                  Pan
                • Dick Matthews
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005
                    The BPL subscription is clearly a better value than Backpacker magazine.

                    You can get the entire subscription back with product discounts.

                    I trust the integrity of all reviewers, but the products selected for
                    review is not influenced by advertising. I suspect that major
                    Backpacker advertisers can ask that a review not be published while
                    product development continues.

                    A subscription and buying products supports leading edge product
                    development. I also encourage you to buy Speer, JRB, OES, HH, etc.
                    products for the same reason.

                    Dick Matthews

                    jmgiv47 wrote:

                    >Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's quite a change from
                    >cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth. Of course,that
                    >is determined by those who willingly supply a good to those that
                    >willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon price. P.T. may
                    >have never known he was undercharging his customers...maybe that's
                    >why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)
                    >
                    >My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and discounts on
                    >clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost. There's a good
                    >amount of solid info available making the subscription at least as
                    >worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think it's a good price
                    >for the 'intellectual property.'
                    >
                    >It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those on this Group
                    >who have seen the content.
                    >
                    >john
                    >
                    >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>
                    >wrote:
                    >

                    >>Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
                    >>(hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear door of
                    >>the American Museum in New York City)
                    >>CEHI

                  • Carl Iobst
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 12, 2005
                      No. The sign said "This way to the Egress." It was a
                      device to get people to leave the museum and pay again
                      to re-enter. Barnum was a showman and so is this guy
                      Jordan. He's still an elitist though--especially when
                      there are others who are willing to share their
                      experiences and receive in kind.
                      CEHI

                      > jmgiv47 wrote:
                      >
                      > >Are you talking about the sucker quote? That's
                      > quite a change from
                      > >cliquish elitists. Now we're simply talking worth.
                      > Of course,that
                      > >is determined by those who willingly supply a good
                      > to those that
                      > >willingly purchase it for a mutually agreed upon
                      > price. P.T. may
                      > >have never known he was undercharging his
                      > customers...maybe that's
                      > >why he found so many...er..uh...'customers.' :)
                      > >
                      > >My mistake...the membership is $25, not $29, and
                      > discounts on
                      > >clothing, gear, etc. can rapidly reduce that cost.
                      > There's a good
                      > >amount of solid info available making the
                      > subscription at least as
                      > >worthwhile as Backpacker, maybe more so. I think
                      > it's a good price
                      > >for the 'intellectual property.'
                      > >
                      > >It'd be interesting to sample the opinions of those
                      > on this Group
                      > >who have seen the content.
                      > >
                      > >john
                      > >
                      > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst
                      > <iobstce@y...>
                      > >wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>Don't forget what Phineas Thomas Barnum said.
                      > >>(hint: it was a sign on the inside of the rear
                      > door of
                      > >>the American Museum in New York City)
                      > >>CEHI

                      Train virtual, live Real!!!
                      ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Carl Iobst
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2005
                        Essentially Jordan's whole mindset is high tech 'Mr.
                        Wizard' stuff. He's almost at the point of diminishing
                        returns and into complete redundancy. He's not
                        shaving pounds or ounces anymore. He's only managing
                        to lose a few grams here or there.
                        To get to the future of ultralight you have to go back
                        to the past.
                        CEHI

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 13, 2005
                          On 11/13/05, Carl Iobst <iobstce@...> wrote:
                          > Essentially Jordan's whole mindset is high tech 'Mr.
                          > Wizard' stuff. He's almost at the point of diminishing
                          > returns and into complete redundancy. He's not
                          > shaving pounds or ounces anymore. He's only managing
                          > to lose a few grams here or there.

                          But thats OK isn't it?

                          Not my style but....hike your own hike.

                          Ralph