Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock fabric question

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
      Is there a way to test what a material is??
      I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
      book)?
      Ralph

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

        > Is there a way to test what a material is??
        > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
        of Ed's
        > book)?

        Assuming it's gridded nylon...

        If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
        barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
        silnylon.

        Are those the materials you're talking about?

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
          The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
          nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
          frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
          Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
          setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
          or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Is there a way to test what a material is??
          I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
          book)?
          Ralph

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

          _____

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
            Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

            It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
            the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

            Bill in Houston

            > Are those the materials you're talking about?
            >
            > Jeff

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
              A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
              big of a guy.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
              wrote:

              > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
              > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
              i`ll

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                Bill in Houston

                > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                >
                > Jeff

                Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                tim garner

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                  i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                  Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too

                  wrote:

                  > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                  > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                  i`ll
                  > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                  tim garner

                • Marta Clark
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                    When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                    summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                    the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                    extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                    far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                    (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                    it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                    plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                    hammock...after I get finished with the current
                    backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                    Marta

                    Message: 2
                    From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                    Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                    > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                    fabric. the 1.5
                    oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                    insulated winter
                    hammock. ...slowhike

                    __________________________________
                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                      > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                      broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                      hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                      oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                      hammock. ...slowhike

                      Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                      Bill in Houston