Re: [Hammock Camping] First Night Had to Bail

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
      On 11/6/05, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      > Rex,
      >
      > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature that
      > required bailing out for being hot.

      Reminds me of the guy who billed himself as "the worlds tallest dwarf" :]

      Ralph
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
        I did my first night last night, too. I had better results.
        Gear:
        HH Explorer UL Asym
        Big Agnes Horse Thief (35 deg. down "top bag")
        Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy shape

        Clothing:
        Duofold Thermax med-weight top
        Cotton briefs
        Silk bottoms
        no socks
        polypro balaclava folded up into a skull cap

        Weather: low of 50 deg at 4:30 AM, light breeze, fog rolling in,
        dripping off trees, probably from fog.

        I was basically warm and comfy. I would say that the pad was not cold,
        perhaps tepid,, but I think I'd like to be a little warmer. I decided
        to try the bag loose from the pad (there's a sleeve in the bottom of the
        bag to hold the pad) to see if that would make it easier to roll onto my
        side. It was easy, but it also made it easier to expose the uninsulated
        bottom of the bag, which made that area cold. Next time I'm going to
        try the pad in the bag. The pad is 20" wide, which I think is kind of
        narrow - the bottom of my upper arms got a bit chilled when resting on
        the uninsulated hammock. Maybe one of those pad extenders would do the
        trick.

        I only woke up twice between 10:30 PM and 6:30 AM, (both times to pee)
        which for me is a great success over sleeping on the ground and waking
        up in pain every hour or so (lower back issues). I slept mostly on my
        back with one leg straight and one bent, like the number 4.

        I think hammock camping is going to be a winner! I just need to nail
        down the insulation thing. I can see that having the insulation under
        the hammock, instead of fighting with pads inside is the way to go. I
        like the concept of the JRB nest, but that's a lot of extra weight, in
        relation to a pad used by ground sleepers.

        I look forward to more experimentation. This is fun! Next will be my
        Thermarest 26" x 72" x 2" used inside the hammock.

        Rich
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
          Glad to hear your satisfaction with hammocks Rich. I too find my hammock
          prevents the lower back pain I get from sleeping in a bed. And your stay
          warm testing is off to a good start—you’ll soon get the hang of it. At
          those temps, a simple ½” thick CC foam pad should do the trick. And of
          course a pad extender would give you an additional 10 or 20” of width.…..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

          _____

        • little_daddy979
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
            I also did my first test a few nights ago. I was trying out my
            homemade asym (whipped ends, parallelagram shape). I used a 10 deg.
            Jardine quilt, homemade VB bag, torso length walmart eggcrate pad,
            fleece hat, cotton sweatshirt, wool socks, and med weight polyester
            pants.
            It got down to about 37 that night.

            I wore the cotton sweatshirt to test the VB bags effect on clothes, and
            it wasnt bad at all. I would say the bag added a good 10-15 degrees
            and didn't significantly dampen the cotton sweatshirt. By bottom was a
            bit cool, but no bad, but my sides couldnt get insulated well. I would
            have had to bail except the VB bag circulated the heat pretty well. It
            was like a luke warm sauna. I would recommend giving a vapor barrier
            bag a try.

            - David in N. GA
          • rexhardy2003
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
              Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also be
              in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
              time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but if
              the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use my
              good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
              temps this time of year.

              Rex

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
              <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

              > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
              > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
              over
              > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
              > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
              bed.
              > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but
              with
              > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
              been
              > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
              > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
              have
              > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
              easily
              > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
              next
              > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
              > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
              >
              > Rex

            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                Another thing you could have done is lift the top part of the bag up
                and out of the hammock, allowing it to drape over the outside of the
                hammock on both sides of you, while still keeping your feet in the
                footbox. This makes a pocket of warm air over your body but lets
                more of the heat out.

                Anyway, having been comfortable, you are hooked now, so have fun and
                good luck.

                Bill in Houston

                > Rex,
                >
                > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature
                that
                > required bailing out for being hot.
                >
                > I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
                > underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > rexhardy2003 wrote:
                >
                > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
                > > cold enough for what I used.
              • rexhardy2003
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                  homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                  it comfortably through the night. Getting up this am for the "bio"
                  break was a little rough but the night was OK. Tonight is supposed
                  to be a little warmer but I may stay out again to try and get more
                  adjusted to sleeping in the hammock. I appreciate all the insight
                  and advice that this group brings for those like me just getting
                  started.

                  <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                  > Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also
                  be
                  > in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
                  > time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but
                  if
                  > the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use
                  my
                  > good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
                  > temps this time of year.
                  >
                  > Rex
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
                  > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's
                  aren't
                  > > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
                  > over
                  > > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long
                  underwear.
                  > > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
                  > bed.
                  > > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag
                  but
                  > with
                  > > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
                  > been
                  > > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
                  > > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
                  > have
                  > > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
                  > easily
                  > > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
                  > next
                  > > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying
                  it
                  > > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
                  > >
                  > > Rex

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                    <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                    > Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                    > homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                    > it comfortably through the night.

                    What kind of pad do you use?

                    Jeff
                  • rexhardy2003
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                      Jeff,

                      I used the cheap CC pad from Wal-Mart. Using the SPE I had two
                      layers directly under my back for about 3/4 length of the hammock.
                      Seemed to work rather well.