HH,undercover,quilt

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
      There has been some talk about the HH undercover, pad, etc. I have skimmed
      through the BGT reviews. I like how "fitted" the undercover is to the
      hammock. I don't think I could sew one that nice without doing a lot of
      calculations :))
      So I was wondering if I could use the undercover and use a summer down quilt
      instead of the pad(for colder temps). I think the problem is the undercover
      is silnylon and condensation. If this was DWR it seems like it is a really
      snug taco, garlington type solution.
      Thoughts?
      Thanks
      --
      Scott

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
        The HH undercover will compress a down underquilt - that's why he uses
        open cell foam.

        Jeff
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          Ohhh, ohhhh, ohhhh Mr. Carter!! I'll let you know after next
          weekend. I had this very idea and am planning to check it out on an
          overnighter next weekend.

          So far the undercover has turned out to be a really nice "holder"
          for the 45 F bag I'm planning to use as the underquilt. I was also
          thinking about the condensation and weather repelant properties of
          the UnderCover. I'm thinking it would probably be beefed up a bit
          by spraying it with a water replenant coating. Anyone have a good
          suggestion for something like this that works well with Silnylon?

          jamie in az

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott Schroeder
          <schrochem@g...> wrote:

          > There has been some talk about the HH undercover, pad, etc. I have
          skimmed
          > through the BGT reviews. I like how "fitted" the undercover is to
          the
          > hammock. I don't think I could sew one that nice without doing a
          lot of
          > calculations :))
          > So I was wondering if I could use the undercover and use a summer
          down quilt
          > instead of the pad(for colder temps). I think the problem is the
          undercover
          > is silnylon and condensation. If this was DWR it seems like it is
          a really
          > snug taco, garlington type solution.
          > Thoughts?
          > Thanks
          > --
          > Scott

        • Scott Schroeder
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
            Yes, please do Jamie. I am just looking for a good start to solutions that
            are already out there. I can see a possibility of compression problems as
            Jeff mentioned, but there is a possibility of modifying the undercover for
            "adjustable" snugness.
            So with a modification in mind, is the silnylon vs DWR a problem?
            Anyone done this?
            Scott

            On 11/7/05, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

            > Ohhh, ohhhh, ohhhh Mr. Carter!! I'll let you know after next
            > weekend. I had this very idea and am planning to check it out on an
            > overnighter next weekend.
            >
            > So far the undercover has turned out to be a really nice "holder"
            > for the 45 F bag I'm planning to use as the underquilt. I was also
            > thinking about the condensation and weather repelant properties of
            > the UnderCover. I'm thinking it would probably be beefed up a bit
            > by spraying it with a water replenant coating. Anyone have a good
            > suggestion for something like this that works well with Silnylon?
            >
            > jamie in az

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
              Jamie-

              If you are using silnylon it should already be waterproof. The silnylon I've seen is a bit crinkly sounding, slippery as all get out, and is often translucent (except black).

              If you feel your silnylon needs a boost, find a spray can of silicone waterproofing. Atsko makes some, as does Kiwi, IIRC. WalMart around here has the Atsko silicone Water-Guard in the camping area, and Kiwi in the shoe area.

              Now, if it is just a ripstop polyester or ripstop nylon fabric that you have, try some of the Atsko Permanent Water-Guard in the 10 oz. spray can. I'm one of the BGT testers for this stuff and just ordered 3 more cans. This stuff is amazing. Following the directions, I washed some gear and clothing in the Sports-Wash, dried, sprayed on the Water-Guard, and tossed the items into the dryer just long enough to get hot. I poured water in the sleeping bag, left it for an hour, and poured a nearly equal measure back into my measuring cup. A little of the water got away from me. A quick swipe with a towel later, I couldn't tell where my little puddle had been.

              Let me give you another tip about the Permanent Water-Guard. It comes in more than one formula, and, searching the web, I couldn't find the spray can. It works better on synthetics than the somewhat different formula in the trigger spray. Call or order on line directly from Atsko. (Specify which you want.) The phone representative first assumed that I wanted the silicone formula. I hope Atsko can get some product out on local store shelves soon. At least both formula versions now show up on their web site.

              So far, the Permanent Water-Guard can's I've seen/heard about have had a sample package of Sport-Wash inside the cap. That should get you started. I imagine the company hopes you will be impressed enough to buy more Sport-Wash.

              Good Luck,

              Rosaleen

              Subject: Re: HH,undercover,quilt

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
                Hi Scott,

                Just wanted to let you know I did not get a chance to check the
                sleeping bag in the undercover idea out yet. The temps were
                forcasted to be cooler than I expected on my overngihter last
                weekend so I went with another option instead just to be safe.

                I used the HH supershelter, except the overcover and an Oware pad.
                I was pretty good except my feet. Taht is normal for me so far
                though and I have an idea to fix that.

                I'll be sure to post when I eventually get a chance to try it out.

                <schrochem@g...> wrote:

                > Yes, please do Jamie. I am just looking for a good start to
                solutions that
                > are already out there. I can see a possibility of compression
                problems as
                > Jeff mentioned, but there is a possibility of modifying the
                undercover for
                > "adjustable" snugness.
                > So with a modification in mind, is the silnylon vs DWR a problem?
                > Anyone done this?
                > Scott
                >
                > On 11/7/05, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ohhh, ohhhh, ohhhh Mr. Carter!! I'll let you know after next
                > > weekend. I had this very idea and am planning to check it out on
                an
                > > overnighter next weekend.
                > >
                > > So far the undercover has turned out to be a really nice "holder"
                > > for the 45 F bag I'm planning to use as the underquilt. I was
                also
                > > thinking about the condensation and weather repelant properties
                of
                > > the UnderCover. I'm thinking it would probably be beefed up a bit
                > > by spraying it with a water replenant coating. Anyone have a good
                > > suggestion for something like this that works well with Silnylon?
                > >
                > > jamie in az

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
                  Great info. Rosaleen. Am I mistaken to think the HH Supershelter
                  undercover not silnylon? If so, I need to change my BGT reports.

                  Jamie D