Re: [Hammock Camping] First Night Had to Bail

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
      Rex,

      I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature that
      required bailing out for being hot.

      I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
      underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.

      Rick

      rexhardy2003 wrote:

      > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
      > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I over
      > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
      > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the bed.
      > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but with
      > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have been
      > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
      > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would have
      > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have easily
      > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again next
      > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
      > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
      >
      > Rex

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
        On 11/6/05, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
        > Rex,
        >
        > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature that
        > required bailing out for being hot.

        Reminds me of the guy who billed himself as "the worlds tallest dwarf" :]

        Ralph
      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
          I did my first night last night, too. I had better results.
          Gear:
          HH Explorer UL Asym
          Big Agnes Horse Thief (35 deg. down "top bag")
          Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy shape

          Clothing:
          Duofold Thermax med-weight top
          Cotton briefs
          Silk bottoms
          no socks
          polypro balaclava folded up into a skull cap

          Weather: low of 50 deg at 4:30 AM, light breeze, fog rolling in,
          dripping off trees, probably from fog.

          I was basically warm and comfy. I would say that the pad was not cold,
          perhaps tepid,, but I think I'd like to be a little warmer. I decided
          to try the bag loose from the pad (there's a sleeve in the bottom of the
          bag to hold the pad) to see if that would make it easier to roll onto my
          side. It was easy, but it also made it easier to expose the uninsulated
          bottom of the bag, which made that area cold. Next time I'm going to
          try the pad in the bag. The pad is 20" wide, which I think is kind of
          narrow - the bottom of my upper arms got a bit chilled when resting on
          the uninsulated hammock. Maybe one of those pad extenders would do the
          trick.

          I only woke up twice between 10:30 PM and 6:30 AM, (both times to pee)
          which for me is a great success over sleeping on the ground and waking
          up in pain every hour or so (lower back issues). I slept mostly on my
          back with one leg straight and one bent, like the number 4.

          I think hammock camping is going to be a winner! I just need to nail
          down the insulation thing. I can see that having the insulation under
          the hammock, instead of fighting with pads inside is the way to go. I
          like the concept of the JRB nest, but that's a lot of extra weight, in
          relation to a pad used by ground sleepers.

          I look forward to more experimentation. This is fun! Next will be my
          Thermarest 26" x 72" x 2" used inside the hammock.

          Rich
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
            Glad to hear your satisfaction with hammocks Rich. I too find my hammock
            prevents the lower back pain I get from sleeping in a bed. And your stay
            warm testing is off to a good start—you’ll soon get the hang of it. At
            those temps, a simple ½” thick CC foam pad should do the trick. And of
            course a pad extender would give you an additional 10 or 20” of width.…..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

[...]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

            _____

          • little_daddy979
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
              I also did my first test a few nights ago. I was trying out my
              homemade asym (whipped ends, parallelagram shape). I used a 10 deg.
              Jardine quilt, homemade VB bag, torso length walmart eggcrate pad,
              fleece hat, cotton sweatshirt, wool socks, and med weight polyester
              pants.
              It got down to about 37 that night.

              I wore the cotton sweatshirt to test the VB bags effect on clothes, and
              it wasnt bad at all. I would say the bag added a good 10-15 degrees
              and didn't significantly dampen the cotton sweatshirt. By bottom was a
              bit cool, but no bad, but my sides couldnt get insulated well. I would
              have had to bail except the VB bag circulated the heat pretty well. It
              was like a luke warm sauna. I would recommend giving a vapor barrier
              bag a try.

              - David in N. GA
            • rexhardy2003
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also be
                in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
                time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but if
                the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use my
                good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
                temps this time of year.

                Rex

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
                <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
                > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
                over
                > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long underwear.
                > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
                bed.
                > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag but
                with
                > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
                been
                > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
                > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
                have
                > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
                easily
                > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
                next
                > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying it
                > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
                >
                > Rex

              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Another thing you could have done is lift the top part of the bag up
                  and out of the hammock, allowing it to drape over the outside of the
                  hammock on both sides of you, while still keeping your feet in the
                  footbox. This makes a pocket of warm air over your body but lets
                  more of the heat out.

                  Anyway, having been comfortable, you are hooked now, so have fun and
                  good luck.

                  Bill in Houston

                  > Rex,
                  >
                  > I do believe you now hold the record for the coldest temperature
                  that
                  > required bailing out for being hot.
                  >
                  > I might have just opened the bag and used it as a quilt (zipper
                  > underneath me) That way, it would be infinitely adjustable.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >
                  > rexhardy2003 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's aren't
                  > > cold enough for what I used.
                • rexhardy2003
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                    homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                    it comfortably through the night. Getting up this am for the "bio"
                    break was a little rough but the night was OK. Tonight is supposed
                    to be a little warmer but I may stay out again to try and get more
                    adjusted to sleeping in the hammock. I appreciate all the insight
                    and advice that this group brings for those like me just getting
                    started.

                    <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                    > Ok I have regrouped and have a plan for this weekend. It will also
                    be
                    > in the backyard but maybe I will leave the keys in the house this
                    > time so I can't get back in :-). I will again use the same pad but
                    if
                    > the temps aren't colder I will use a cheap fleece bag and then use
                    my
                    > good bag as a quilt. That should give me the flexibility for our
                    > temps this time of year.
                    >
                    > Rex
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
                    > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I learned my first lesson last night. Temps in the mid 50's
                    aren't
                    > > cold enough for what I used. Having read about cooler weather I
                    > over
                    > > did it. I was using a pad, 20 degree bag and poly long
                    underwear.
                    > > After two hours, I gave it up came in the house and slept in the
                    > bed.
                    > > I was just to hot to be comfortable. I tried to unzip the bag
                    but
                    > with
                    > > the breeze that was a little cool. The other solution would have
                    > been
                    > > to take off the long underwear but being in the back yard was so
                    > > convenient I just came inside. I am not sure what range I would
                    > have
                    > > been comfortable in last night but I am guessing it would have
                    > easily
                    > > gotten me into the 40's anyway. I guess I will have to try again
                    > next
                    > > weekend. Based upon the current weather pattern they are saying
                    it
                    > > will be a little colder. I'll just have to wait and see.
                    > >
                    > > Rex

                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                      <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                      > Last night with the windchill it was about 34 degrees. Using a
                      > homemade SPE, 20 degree bag, polypro underwear, socks and cap I made
                      > it comfortably through the night.

                      What kind of pad do you use?

                      Jeff
                    • rexhardy2003
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                        Jeff,

                        I used the cheap CC pad from Wal-Mart. Using the SPE I had two
                        layers directly under my back for about 3/4 length of the hammock.
                        Seemed to work rather well.