Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock fabric question

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
      suggestions:

      Guterman thread. It is high quality, 100 percent polyester. It can be
      ordered on line from Quest and I have found it available at JoAnn's Fabrics.

      Two things you may need to adjust: Your tension, or your needle. Some
      needles don't work well with some fabrics. Experiment a little if the
      tension does not work.

      Also make really sure that the machine is threaded correctly.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
        Is there a way to test what a material is??
        I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
        book)?
        Ralph

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

          > Is there a way to test what a material is??
          > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
          of Ed's
          > book)?

          Assuming it's gridded nylon...

          If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
          barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
          silnylon.

          Are those the materials you're talking about?

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
            The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
            nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
            frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
            Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
            setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
            or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

            Is there a way to test what a material is??
            I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
            book)?
            Ralph

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

            _____

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
              Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

              It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
              the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

              Bill in Houston

              > Are those the materials you're talking about?
              >
              > Jeff

            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                big of a guy.

                Bill in Houston

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
                wrote:

                > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                i`ll

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                  that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                  Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                  It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                  the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                  Bill in Houston

                  > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                  tim garner

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                    i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                    Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too

                    wrote:

                    > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                    > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                    i`ll
                    > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                    tim garner

                  • Marta Clark
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                      When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                      summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                      the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                      extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                      far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                      (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                      it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                      plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                      hammock...after I get finished with the current
                      backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                      Marta

                      Message: 2
                      From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                      Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                      > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                      fabric. the 1.5
                      oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                      insulated winter
                      hammock. ...slowhike

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                        > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                        broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                        hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                        oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                        hammock. ...slowhike

                        Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                        Bill in Houston