RE: {Spam?} [Hammock Camping] Tiny Tear in Hammock

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2005
      Aris, I suspect it's nothing to worry about. I've seen similar
      'micro-stress' separations of the fabric threads in my test hammock, which
      is the same fabric as yours only it now has over 4,500 hrs of use-and it's
      still going strong! In the case of my test hammock, the threads are
      separated, not torn or cut-and I'm assuming yours are the same? I'm sure
      you're keeping an eye on it and that's probably all that's needed. Should
      it get worse, a simple remedy is a dab of glue such as seam sealer or rubber
      cement-remember to avoid glues that dissolve nylon! A stick on or glue on
      patch could also be a wise choice-like an inflatable sleeping pad patch.
      Avoid sewing as much as possible, especially if the damaged piece of fabric
      is under stress when the hammock is occupied. If it gets worse, sewing on a
      small patch may be your last viable alternative, but I avoid sewing as much
      as possible since the new threads may begin to cut the old fabric threads
      when the hammock is occupied-however, the use of a zig zag stitch to make
      repairs should help prevent this problem. Let me know if it gets
      worse....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc