Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock fabric question

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
      thanks bill... i`ll give it a try. ...slowhike

      Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed
      between the tensioning disks. On our machine it is possible for the
      thread to kind of ride around the outside of the disks and not be
      squeezed. Don't mess with the bobbin yet.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
      > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but

      tim garner

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
        wrote:
        > the stich looks ok from the
        > top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i
        tryed
        > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but
        it
        > didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin.

        Slowhike,

        Check this link - see if the pictures about 1/4 of the way down
        describe what's happening.

        http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

        Try what Bill said first, but this page has instructions for
        adjusting the bobbin tension if you end up needing it.

        Are you using the same thread on top and bottom? If the top and
        bottom differ in size, quality, material, etc, it might do what
        you're describing.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
          saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride. i`ll
          get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
            suggestions:

            Guterman thread. It is high quality, 100 percent polyester. It can be
            ordered on line from Quest and I have found it available at JoAnn's Fabrics.

            Two things you may need to adjust: Your tension, or your needle. Some
            needles don't work well with some fabrics. Experiment a little if the
            tension does not work.

            Also make really sure that the machine is threaded correctly.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
              Is there a way to test what a material is??
              I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
              book)?
              Ralph

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

                > Is there a way to test what a material is??
                > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
                of Ed's
                > book)?

                Assuming it's gridded nylon...

                If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
                barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
                silnylon.

                Are those the materials you're talking about?

                Jeff
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                  The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
                  nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
                  frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
                  Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
                  setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
                  or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

                  Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                  Editor, Hammock Camping News

                  Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                  _____

                  Is there a way to test what a material is??
                  I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                  book)?
                  Ralph

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                  _____

                • Bill in Houston
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                    It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                    the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                    Bill in Houston

                    > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                      A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                      big of a guy.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                        that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                        Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                        It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                        the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                        Bill in Houston

                        > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                        tim garner

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                          i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                          Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too

                          wrote:

                          > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                          > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                          i`ll
                          > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                          tim garner

                        • Marta Clark
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                            When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                            summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                            the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                            extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                            far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                            (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                            it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                            plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                            hammock...after I get finished with the current
                            backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                            Marta

                            Message: 2
                            From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                            Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                            > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                            fabric. the 1.5
                            oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                            insulated winter
                            hammock. ...slowhike

                            __________________________________
                            http://farechase.yahoo.com
                          • Bill in Houston
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                              > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                              broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                              hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                              oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                              hammock. ...slowhike

                              Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                              Bill in Houston