hammock fabric question

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
      thanks coy... yea, i guess sometimes you just have to give it an
      educated guess & a careful try when your using the walmart specials.
      now i`m going to have to get a lady friend who is a seamstress, to
      help me figure out why i cant get the sewing machine to stich right on
      this fabric. i`ve had this problem before. the stich looks ok from the
      top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
      adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but it
      didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin. or
      mabey the stiff nylon thread is to heavy. but i think i used it on
      other thin fabrics? if any one has suggestions, i`m all ears.
      thanks...slowhike
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
        Polyester or nylon?

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:

        > ... i`m going to make a hammock & one of the fabric choices i`m
        concidering (from walmart) comes out to 1.53 oz per sq yd , by ed`s
        formula. do you think i may be pushing it? what is about the
        lightest you`ve used for any length of time? thanks...slowhike

        > tim garner

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed
          between the tensioning disks. On our machine it is possible for the
          thread to kind of ride around the outside of the disks and not be
          squeezed. Don't mess with the bobbin yet.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
            thanks bill... i`ll give it a try. ...slowhike

            Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed

            wrote:
            > leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
            > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but

            tim garner

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
              wrote:
              > the stich looks ok from the
              > top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i
              tryed
              > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but
              it
              > didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin.

              Slowhike,

              Check this link - see if the pictures about 1/4 of the way down
              describe what's happening.

              http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

              Try what Bill said first, but this page has instructions for
              adjusting the bobbin tension if you end up needing it.

              Are you using the same thread on top and bottom? If the top and
              bottom differ in size, quality, material, etc, it might do what
              you're describing.

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride. i`ll
                get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                  suggestions:

                  Guterman thread. It is high quality, 100 percent polyester. It can be
                  ordered on line from Quest and I have found it available at JoAnn's Fabrics.

                  Two things you may need to adjust: Your tension, or your needle. Some
                  needles don't work well with some fabrics. Experiment a little if the
                  tension does not work.

                  Also make really sure that the machine is threaded correctly.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Is there a way to test what a material is??
                    I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                    book)?
                    Ralph

                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

                      > Is there a way to test what a material is??
                      > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
                      of Ed's
                      > book)?

                      Assuming it's gridded nylon...

                      If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
                      barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
                      silnylon.

                      Are those the materials you're talking about?

                      Jeff
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                        The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
                        nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
                        frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
                        Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
                        setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
                        or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

                        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                        Editor, Hammock Camping News

                        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                        _____

                        Is there a way to test what a material is??
                        I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                        book)?
                        Ralph

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                        _____

                      • Bill in Houston
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                          It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                          the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                          Bill in Houston

                          > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                          >
                          > Jeff

                        • Bill in Houston
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                            A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                            big of a guy.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                              that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                              Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                              It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                              the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                              Bill in Houston

                              > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                              >
                              > Jeff

                              Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                              tim garner

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                                Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too

                                wrote:

                                > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                                > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                                i`ll
                                > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                                tim garner

                              • Marta Clark
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                  When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                                  summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                                  the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                                  extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                                  far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                                  (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                                  it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                                  plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                                  hammock...after I get finished with the current
                                  backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                                  Marta

                                  Message: 2
                                  From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                                  Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                                  > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                                  fabric. the 1.5
                                  oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                                  insulated winter
                                  hammock. ...slowhike

                                  __________________________________
                                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                • Bill in Houston
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                                    > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                                    broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                                    hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                                    oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                                    hammock. ...slowhike

                                    Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                                    Bill in Houston