[Hammock Camping] Tiny Tear in Hammock

  • Aris Dennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
      I just discovered a tiny tear in my homemade Speer
      hammock. It is only within one of the ripstop squares.
      Is this nothing to worry about or should I mend it
      somehow?

      cheers,
      Aris

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
        I would mend it somehow.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
          Like a sail, a larger patch can be sewn on both sides to repair this.
          Make the patch at least a couple inches square. The patch should be
          sewn on both sides at the same time (two pieces of cloth sandwitching
          the hammock) and should be sewn with a zigzag stitch.

          This may work, depending on where the patch is. If it is in one of the
          areas with very high stress, like under the bottom, then it may not hold
          anyway. But it is worth the try.

          Risk

          Bill in Houston wrote:

          > I would mend it somehow.
          >
          > Bill in Houston
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I just discovered a tiny tear in my homemade Speer
          > > hammock. It is only within one of the ripstop squares.
          > > Is this nothing to worry about or should I mend it
          > > somehow?
          > >
          > > cheers,
          > > Aris

          > Camping hammock
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=aZetMVxJFZCYxfYQvD5PTA>
          > Camping food
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=6seaw_qTOFKAq8q30MNgTg>
          > Outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=K1ceViZA6ro-DJKYUosTGA>
          >
          > The great outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+great+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=p3b5yIpP7MimZieR2uMwpg>
          > Outdoors equipment
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors+equipment&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=0TvpMVP_mZ_T_9wteX03ig>

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
            Man, this thing is comfortable! I was warm to about 50 F - it didn't
            get any colder than that.

            I think it's actually more comfortable than the hammock body if I stay
            on my back. My foot barely hangs off the end, but the pad is thick
            enough that my foot doesn't even touch the hammock body and my leg is
            supported by the ankle. This relieves a lot of the knee strain a
            hammock can give, and is a lot more comfortable on my feet.

            It's not as comfortable when I lay on my side, though, and I have to
            mess with the pad to keep it in the right place when I roll over. I
            was using my homemade SPE, so I think a wider one would help a little.

            What's the coldest you guys have gotten with a DAM as the only under
            insulation? (SPE included, since it doesn't add insulation
            underneath.)
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
              Just picked up mine at REI today. It's self-inflating on the couch
              right now (Hopefully!).

              I will be at Dingmans Ferry, PA tomorrow (Thursday) - Forecast: rain
              and low of 28F. - Fri. low 28F - Sat. 36F -- So, I will have a report
              to post come Monday. Should have some pics too!

              Someone please remind me WHY I got the 70 inch long version! My
              error! Unrolled it and it's LONG! Listed at 27 oz. plus another 4-5
              oz. for the bag. Oh, well, not packing it this weekend....

              Stay tuned 'cause I may be offering this for sale and upgrade
              (down-size...?) to the short version...<g>... (More Below)

              > Man, this thing is comfortable! I was warm to about 50 F - it
              > didn't get any colder than that.

              Great - Looking forward to this!

              > It's not as comfortable when I lay on my side, though, and I have to
              > mess with the pad to keep it in the right place when I roll over. I
              > was using my homemade SPE, so I think a wider one would help a
              > little.

              I will be using Mr. Speer's SPE. Saw him insert the Exped DAM in the
              sleeve at Hot Springs (snug fit) and do not expect too much trouble.

              > What's the coldest you guys have gotten with a DAM as the only under
              > insulation? (SPE included, since it doesn't add insulation
              > underneath.)

              Well, I'm looking at 28F... Will let you know Monday.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                > Someone please remind me WHY I got the 70 inch long version! My
                > error! Unrolled it and it's LONG! Listed at 27 oz. plus another 4-5
                > oz. for the bag. Oh, well, not packing it this weekend....

                I'm 70" tall, and the 70" version barely fits me because it curves
                with the shape of the hammock. I hang my feet of the end or use a
                pillow for the top.

                For temps that cold, I need some insulation under my legs...I'm happy
                with the long version. Not sure it would be worth the 80" version,
                though I'd like some more width.
              • Steve Joiner
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Hi, all. I'd like to request a little of this sage group's wisdom....

                  I've been using the following setup:

                  above 60 degrees - a ~2 lb 40 degree down bag used as a quilt, no pad
                  30 - 60 degrees - an 8 oz 27" target pad, a 22 oz homemade down quilt, a
                  silk liner w/ maybe one layer of midwt thermals below 40 degrees
                  10 - 30 degrees - the 8 oz pad, a 32 oz TR guidelite, the quilt, a silk
                  liner, several layers of clothing, and several 'hand-warmers' if below 20
                  degrees. 'Base' pack wt with this setup is about 10.5 lbs, with total pack
                  wt for a 3-day weekend (also including food, 2 litres of water, clothing)
                  about 25 lbs. It's probably below 30 degrees on 5 of my campouts a year,
                  below 20 on 2 or 3.... I've been generally toasty with this setup in the
                  mid-teens with strong gusting winds....

                  The only issues I've had with this setup are:
                  - the pad is still not wide enough. at lower temps my arms still get cold.
                  I can usually find a place to keep them warm and sleep...
                  - the trickiness of getting into the hammock, adjusting the pad and TR,
                  getting into the liner and quilt footbox - esp at 3 am after a bio break!

                  Other than that, I love the setup and the good night's sleep I always get.

                  I've seen much of the discussion about underquilts, and find the idea
                  appealing. Before jumping into an expensive purchase or a fairly intensive
                  home project (also not sure that my wife has forgiven me yet for screwing up
                  her sewing machine on the quilt project!), I've got a few questions....

                  - will converting to an underquilt be a weight savings? my assumption is
                  that an underquilt, without additional padding, will be good to about 30
                  degrees. Is this correct? if so, isn't this a good bit heavier than my
                  current setup? The peapod is about 30 ozs, the JRB about 20. Isn't this a
                  weight gain over just the 8 oz pad?
                  - the underquilt appears to solve the 2 issues I have with my current
                  setup - the width of the pad, and the trickiness of having several layers of
                  pads.... I assume it's also more comfortable than the pads. Is this
                  correct?

                  So - my dilemma! Do I have to carry more weight to solve my problems? As
                  I've thought through this, I've concluded that perhaps my best bet would be
                  to go with the Speer 4x4 SPE, with 2 closed cell foam pads. I actually
                  carry less weight (12 ozs if I'm calculating correctly), solve the first
                  issue completely and mostly solve the second....

                  Am I missing something? If I'm thinking correctly here, why are the
                  underquilts so popular?

                  Thanks for your input!

                  Steve

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Ask six people and you'll get ten opinions on this one. For the most
                    part, none of them are right or wrong - just find what works for you.
                    Here are my thoughts:

                    If your numbers are right, you'll be adding some weight. In my
                    opinion, it's worth it. I find the underquilt more comfortable
                    because I don't have to worry about shuffling the pad around when I
                    change positions, and I'm free to sprawl as much as I want and still
                    stay warm.

                    If CCF works for you, it's the cheapest and will certainly work.
                    You could always get an underquilt, then carry an extra pad when it
                    gets below 30 F.

                    Jeff
                  • joe_ulrich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005

                      > Ask six people and you'll get ten opinions on this one. For the most
                      > part, none of them are right or wrong - just find what works for you.

                      You are absolutely correct.

                      > Here are my thoughts:
                      >
                      > If your numbers are right, you'll be adding some weight. In my
                      > opinion, it's worth it. I find the underquilt more comfortable
                      > because I don't have to worry about shuffling the pad around when I
                      > change positions, and I'm free to sprawl as much as I want and still
                      > stay warm.

                      I struggled with keeping a pad in place and staying in the sweet spot
                      for a long time. Like you, I find the freedom of using an underquilt
                      allows me to get a better nights sleep. No waking up because I shifted
                      to the edge of the pad and my back is cold. No claminess in my bag
                      from condensation because the pad doesn't breathe.

                      > If CCF works for you, it's the cheapest and will certainly work.
                      > You could always get an underquilt, then carry an extra pad when it
                      > gets below 30 F.
                      >
                      > Jeff

                      I am currently using my sleeping bag as a quilt. It's a 20 degree
                      synthetic and weighs almost 3 lbs. I will eventually by a down top
                      quilt and save space and weight. However, the ~$200 is not in my
                      budget for the near term.

                      Peace,
                      Joe
                    • jack_tier
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@b...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi, all. I'd like to request a little of this sage group's
                        wisdom....

                        > I've been using the following setup:
                        >
                        > above 60 degrees - a ~2 lb 40 degree down bag used as a quilt, no
                        pad
                        > 30 - 60 degrees - an 8 oz 27" target pad, a 22 oz homemade down
                        quilt, a
                        > silk liner w/ maybe one layer of midwt thermals below 40 degrees

                        This looks like 8 oz for pad, 4-6 oz for the silk liner and approx
                        20 oz for a top and bottom mid weight... or a total of 32-34 oz...
                        assuming, your 22 oz quilt is enough for the top for you in this
                        range.

                        A 2 inch down under quilt and its suspension system will take you to
                        this range in skivies, plus your unmentioned adequate,head gear...
                        for 21-22 oz or a savings of about 10 oz...and a lot less bulk and
                        more comfort.

                        > 10 - 30 degrees - the 8 oz pad, a 32 oz TR guidelite, the quilt, a
                        silk
                        > liner, several layers of clothing, and several 'hand-warmers' if
                        below 20

                        Again this looks like 8 oz plus the 32 oz just counting bottom pads,
                        40 oz total ( assuming the silk liner and extra clothes is now
                        necessary because the limits of the top quilt are exceeded).

                        A 3 inch down under quilt and suspension system will take one to
                        this range for a weight of 25-26 oz total... a savings of 14-15
                        oz....or use a 2 inch UQ and the pad for a total weight of 30 oz if
                        you want the pad and a little more weight but still 10 oz less than
                        your proposed set up.

                        > degrees. 'Base' pack wt with this setup is about 10.5 lbs, with
                        total pack
                        > wt for a 3-day weekend (also including food, 2 litres of water,
                        clothing)
                        > about 25 lbs. It's probably below 30 degrees on 5 of my campouts
                        a year,
                        > below 20 on 2 or 3.... I've been generally toasty with this setup
                        in the
                        > mid-teens with strong gusting winds....
                        >
                        > The only issues I've had with this setup are:
                        > - the pad is still not wide enough. at lower temps my arms still
                        get cold.
                        > I can usually find a place to keep them warm and sleep...
                        > - the trickiness of getting into the hammock, adjusting the pad
                        and TR,
                        > getting into the liner and quilt footbox - esp at 3 am after a bio
                        break!

                        Note, I read this as the current set up is heavier and still has
                        some problem issues for you.

                        > Other than that, I love the setup and the good night's sleep I
                        always get.

                        > I've seen much of the discussion about underquilts, and find the
                        idea
                        > appealing. Before jumping into an expensive purchase or a fairly
                        intensive
                        > home project (also not sure that my wife has forgiven me yet for
                        screwing up
                        > her sewing machine on the quilt project!), I've got a few
                        questions....

                        > - will converting to an underquilt be a weight savings? my
                        assumption is
                        > that an underquilt, without additional padding, will be good to
                        about 30
                        > degrees. Is this correct?

                        Yes, it is good to about 30 degrees.

                        if so, isn't this a good bit heavier than my
                        > current setup? The peapod is about 30 ozs, the JRB about 20.
                        Isn't this a
                        > weight gain over just the 8 oz pad?

                        No... it is lighter, (You really don't have just an 8 oz pad...and
                        it is not wide enough by your comments above) see the above inserted
                        comments on weight.

                        > - the underquilt appears to solve the 2 issues I have with my
                        current
                        > setup - the width of the pad, and the trickiness of having several
                        layers of
                        > pads.... I assume it's also more comfortable than the pads. Is
                        this
                        > correct?
                        >
                        > So - my dilemma! Do I have to carry more weight to solve my
                        problems?

                        No.

                        As
                        > I've thought through this, I've concluded that perhaps my best bet
                        would be
                        > to go with the Speer 4x4 SPE, with 2 closed cell foam pads. I
                        actually
                        > carry less weight (12 ozs if I'm calculating correctly), solve the
                        first
                        > issue completely and mostly solve the second....
                        >
                        > Am I missing something?

                        Yes, The SPE is a great product for organizing multiple pads and pad
                        wings...Adequate pad thickness and lengths for these ranges are as
                        heavy or heavier... based on the model of pads, TR or DAMs and
                        number of wing section pieces selected. Determine the pads for you
                        for a given range and add them up... except for the minimal summer
                        set ups the weight will come to more, in some cases much more than
                        your stated 12 oz... It is true that for the weight this approach
                        retains pads for a go to ground capability, which some will find
                        desirable.

                        If I'm thinking correctly here, why are the
                        > underquilts so popular?

                        They really are very light, if not the lightest alternative... they
                        almost always win in less bulk... and, most importantly, there is
                        more comfort and freedom in a hammock with nothng but you and your
                        top cover in the hammock...

                        That said, you do not have a comfortable go to ground option that
                        retained pads alone, or in SPE, provide.

                        Note, I'm biased as an under quilt designer and maker....Just my
                        0.02 to keep the apples to apples discussion a more realistic
                        comparision.

                        Jack aka peter_pan

                        > Thanks for your input!
                        >
                        > Steve

                      • Steve Joiner
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005
                          Thanks for your insight, Jeff, Joe and Jack. Sounds like I need to take
                          another look at my analysis! I went into this with a bias that I really
                          want the underquilt (gettin' the Christmas list together!), and was
                          surprised at where my thoughts ended.... I'll noodle this around some more!

                          Steve