Woohoo! Got my DAM!

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
      It came yesterday - the Exped Downmat 7. I'm gonna sleep with it in
      the hammock for the first time tonight.

      The direction said "10-15" bags of air in one place and "5-10" in
      another place, but it took me 25 bags for the first time. It was
      pretty thin at that point, and when I laid in the hammock I think I
      only had .5" under my butt. I put 4 more bags in it today...it's much
      more firm so I'll see if that works better.

      If I lay still on my back, I could stay warm without the SPE because
      it holds me up so much higher than a CCF pad. (It's 2.8" thick.) I
      put it in my homemade SPE and it seems to work fine.

      I also got a cold spot under my leg at one point today - I guess the
      down shifts, so I shook it up to even out the down. Have you guys had
      this problem?
    • Aris Dennis
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
        I just discovered a tiny tear in my homemade Speer
        hammock. It is only within one of the ripstop squares.
        Is this nothing to worry about or should I mend it
        somehow?

        cheers,
        Aris

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
          I would mend it somehow.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
            Like a sail, a larger patch can be sewn on both sides to repair this.
            Make the patch at least a couple inches square. The patch should be
            sewn on both sides at the same time (two pieces of cloth sandwitching
            the hammock) and should be sewn with a zigzag stitch.

            This may work, depending on where the patch is. If it is in one of the
            areas with very high stress, like under the bottom, then it may not hold
            anyway. But it is worth the try.

            Risk

            Bill in Houston wrote:

            > I would mend it somehow.
            >
            > Bill in Houston
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I just discovered a tiny tear in my homemade Speer
            > > hammock. It is only within one of the ripstop squares.
            > > Is this nothing to worry about or should I mend it
            > > somehow?
            > >
            > > cheers,
            > > Aris

            > Camping hammock
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=aZetMVxJFZCYxfYQvD5PTA>
            > Camping food
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=6seaw_qTOFKAq8q30MNgTg>
            > Outdoors
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=K1ceViZA6ro-DJKYUosTGA>
            >
            > The great outdoors
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+great+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=p3b5yIpP7MimZieR2uMwpg>
            > Outdoors equipment
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors+equipment&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&w5=Outdoors+equipment&c=5&s=101&.sig=0TvpMVP_mZ_T_9wteX03ig>

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
              Man, this thing is comfortable! I was warm to about 50 F - it didn't
              get any colder than that.

              I think it's actually more comfortable than the hammock body if I stay
              on my back. My foot barely hangs off the end, but the pad is thick
              enough that my foot doesn't even touch the hammock body and my leg is
              supported by the ankle. This relieves a lot of the knee strain a
              hammock can give, and is a lot more comfortable on my feet.

              It's not as comfortable when I lay on my side, though, and I have to
              mess with the pad to keep it in the right place when I roll over. I
              was using my homemade SPE, so I think a wider one would help a little.

              What's the coldest you guys have gotten with a DAM as the only under
              insulation? (SPE included, since it doesn't add insulation
              underneath.)
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                Just picked up mine at REI today. It's self-inflating on the couch
                right now (Hopefully!).

                I will be at Dingmans Ferry, PA tomorrow (Thursday) - Forecast: rain
                and low of 28F. - Fri. low 28F - Sat. 36F -- So, I will have a report
                to post come Monday. Should have some pics too!

                Someone please remind me WHY I got the 70 inch long version! My
                error! Unrolled it and it's LONG! Listed at 27 oz. plus another 4-5
                oz. for the bag. Oh, well, not packing it this weekend....

                Stay tuned 'cause I may be offering this for sale and upgrade
                (down-size...?) to the short version...<g>... (More Below)

                > Man, this thing is comfortable! I was warm to about 50 F - it
                > didn't get any colder than that.

                Great - Looking forward to this!

                > It's not as comfortable when I lay on my side, though, and I have to
                > mess with the pad to keep it in the right place when I roll over. I
                > was using my homemade SPE, so I think a wider one would help a
                > little.

                I will be using Mr. Speer's SPE. Saw him insert the Exped DAM in the
                sleeve at Hot Springs (snug fit) and do not expect too much trouble.

                > What's the coldest you guys have gotten with a DAM as the only under
                > insulation? (SPE included, since it doesn't add insulation
                > underneath.)

                Well, I'm looking at 28F... Will let you know Monday.

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                  > Someone please remind me WHY I got the 70 inch long version! My
                  > error! Unrolled it and it's LONG! Listed at 27 oz. plus another 4-5
                  > oz. for the bag. Oh, well, not packing it this weekend....

                  I'm 70" tall, and the 70" version barely fits me because it curves
                  with the shape of the hammock. I hang my feet of the end or use a
                  pillow for the top.

                  For temps that cold, I need some insulation under my legs...I'm happy
                  with the long version. Not sure it would be worth the 80" version,
                  though I'd like some more width.
                • Steve Joiner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Hi, all. I'd like to request a little of this sage group's wisdom....

                    I've been using the following setup:

                    above 60 degrees - a ~2 lb 40 degree down bag used as a quilt, no pad
                    30 - 60 degrees - an 8 oz 27" target pad, a 22 oz homemade down quilt, a
                    silk liner w/ maybe one layer of midwt thermals below 40 degrees
                    10 - 30 degrees - the 8 oz pad, a 32 oz TR guidelite, the quilt, a silk
                    liner, several layers of clothing, and several 'hand-warmers' if below 20
                    degrees. 'Base' pack wt with this setup is about 10.5 lbs, with total pack
                    wt for a 3-day weekend (also including food, 2 litres of water, clothing)
                    about 25 lbs. It's probably below 30 degrees on 5 of my campouts a year,
                    below 20 on 2 or 3.... I've been generally toasty with this setup in the
                    mid-teens with strong gusting winds....

                    The only issues I've had with this setup are:
                    - the pad is still not wide enough. at lower temps my arms still get cold.
                    I can usually find a place to keep them warm and sleep...
                    - the trickiness of getting into the hammock, adjusting the pad and TR,
                    getting into the liner and quilt footbox - esp at 3 am after a bio break!

                    Other than that, I love the setup and the good night's sleep I always get.

                    I've seen much of the discussion about underquilts, and find the idea
                    appealing. Before jumping into an expensive purchase or a fairly intensive
                    home project (also not sure that my wife has forgiven me yet for screwing up
                    her sewing machine on the quilt project!), I've got a few questions....

                    - will converting to an underquilt be a weight savings? my assumption is
                    that an underquilt, without additional padding, will be good to about 30
                    degrees. Is this correct? if so, isn't this a good bit heavier than my
                    current setup? The peapod is about 30 ozs, the JRB about 20. Isn't this a
                    weight gain over just the 8 oz pad?
                    - the underquilt appears to solve the 2 issues I have with my current
                    setup - the width of the pad, and the trickiness of having several layers of
                    pads.... I assume it's also more comfortable than the pads. Is this
                    correct?

                    So - my dilemma! Do I have to carry more weight to solve my problems? As
                    I've thought through this, I've concluded that perhaps my best bet would be
                    to go with the Speer 4x4 SPE, with 2 closed cell foam pads. I actually
                    carry less weight (12 ozs if I'm calculating correctly), solve the first
                    issue completely and mostly solve the second....

                    Am I missing something? If I'm thinking correctly here, why are the
                    underquilts so popular?

                    Thanks for your input!

                    Steve

                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                      Ask six people and you'll get ten opinions on this one. For the most
                      part, none of them are right or wrong - just find what works for you.
                      Here are my thoughts:

                      If your numbers are right, you'll be adding some weight. In my
                      opinion, it's worth it. I find the underquilt more comfortable
                      because I don't have to worry about shuffling the pad around when I
                      change positions, and I'm free to sprawl as much as I want and still
                      stay warm.

                      If CCF works for you, it's the cheapest and will certainly work.
                      You could always get an underquilt, then carry an extra pad when it
                      gets below 30 F.

                      Jeff
                    • joe_ulrich
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005

                        > Ask six people and you'll get ten opinions on this one. For the most
                        > part, none of them are right or wrong - just find what works for you.

                        You are absolutely correct.

                        > Here are my thoughts:
                        >
                        > If your numbers are right, you'll be adding some weight. In my
                        > opinion, it's worth it. I find the underquilt more comfortable
                        > because I don't have to worry about shuffling the pad around when I
                        > change positions, and I'm free to sprawl as much as I want and still
                        > stay warm.

                        I struggled with keeping a pad in place and staying in the sweet spot
                        for a long time. Like you, I find the freedom of using an underquilt
                        allows me to get a better nights sleep. No waking up because I shifted
                        to the edge of the pad and my back is cold. No claminess in my bag
                        from condensation because the pad doesn't breathe.

                        > If CCF works for you, it's the cheapest and will certainly work.
                        > You could always get an underquilt, then carry an extra pad when it
                        > gets below 30 F.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        I am currently using my sleeping bag as a quilt. It's a 20 degree
                        synthetic and weighs almost 3 lbs. I will eventually by a down top
                        quilt and save space and weight. However, the ~$200 is not in my
                        budget for the near term.

                        Peace,
                        Joe
                      • jack_tier
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@b...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi, all. I'd like to request a little of this sage group's
                          wisdom....

                          > I've been using the following setup:
                          >
                          > above 60 degrees - a ~2 lb 40 degree down bag used as a quilt, no
                          pad
                          > 30 - 60 degrees - an 8 oz 27" target pad, a 22 oz homemade down
                          quilt, a
                          > silk liner w/ maybe one layer of midwt thermals below 40 degrees

                          This looks like 8 oz for pad, 4-6 oz for the silk liner and approx
                          20 oz for a top and bottom mid weight... or a total of 32-34 oz...
                          assuming, your 22 oz quilt is enough for the top for you in this
                          range.

                          A 2 inch down under quilt and its suspension system will take you to
                          this range in skivies, plus your unmentioned adequate,head gear...
                          for 21-22 oz or a savings of about 10 oz...and a lot less bulk and
                          more comfort.

                          > 10 - 30 degrees - the 8 oz pad, a 32 oz TR guidelite, the quilt, a
                          silk
                          > liner, several layers of clothing, and several 'hand-warmers' if
                          below 20

                          Again this looks like 8 oz plus the 32 oz just counting bottom pads,
                          40 oz total ( assuming the silk liner and extra clothes is now
                          necessary because the limits of the top quilt are exceeded).

                          A 3 inch down under quilt and suspension system will take one to
                          this range for a weight of 25-26 oz total... a savings of 14-15
                          oz....or use a 2 inch UQ and the pad for a total weight of 30 oz if
                          you want the pad and a little more weight but still 10 oz less than
                          your proposed set up.

                          > degrees. 'Base' pack wt with this setup is about 10.5 lbs, with
                          total pack
                          > wt for a 3-day weekend (also including food, 2 litres of water,
                          clothing)
                          > about 25 lbs. It's probably below 30 degrees on 5 of my campouts
                          a year,
                          > below 20 on 2 or 3.... I've been generally toasty with this setup
                          in the
                          > mid-teens with strong gusting winds....
                          >
                          > The only issues I've had with this setup are:
                          > - the pad is still not wide enough. at lower temps my arms still
                          get cold.
                          > I can usually find a place to keep them warm and sleep...
                          > - the trickiness of getting into the hammock, adjusting the pad
                          and TR,
                          > getting into the liner and quilt footbox - esp at 3 am after a bio
                          break!

                          Note, I read this as the current set up is heavier and still has
                          some problem issues for you.

                          > Other than that, I love the setup and the good night's sleep I
                          always get.

                          > I've seen much of the discussion about underquilts, and find the
                          idea
                          > appealing. Before jumping into an expensive purchase or a fairly
                          intensive
                          > home project (also not sure that my wife has forgiven me yet for
                          screwing up
                          > her sewing machine on the quilt project!), I've got a few
                          questions....

                          > - will converting to an underquilt be a weight savings? my
                          assumption is
                          > that an underquilt, without additional padding, will be good to
                          about 30
                          > degrees. Is this correct?

                          Yes, it is good to about 30 degrees.

                          if so, isn't this a good bit heavier than my
                          > current setup? The peapod is about 30 ozs, the JRB about 20.
                          Isn't this a
                          > weight gain over just the 8 oz pad?

                          No... it is lighter, (You really don't have just an 8 oz pad...and
                          it is not wide enough by your comments above) see the above inserted
                          comments on weight.

                          > - the underquilt appears to solve the 2 issues I have with my
                          current
                          > setup - the width of the pad, and the trickiness of having several
                          layers of
                          > pads.... I assume it's also more comfortable than the pads. Is
                          this
                          > correct?
                          >
                          > So - my dilemma! Do I have to carry more weight to solve my
                          problems?

                          No.

                          As
                          > I've thought through this, I've concluded that perhaps my best bet
                          would be
                          > to go with the Speer 4x4 SPE, with 2 closed cell foam pads. I
                          actually
                          > carry less weight (12 ozs if I'm calculating correctly), solve the
                          first
                          > issue completely and mostly solve the second....
                          >
                          > Am I missing something?

                          Yes, The SPE is a great product for organizing multiple pads and pad
                          wings...Adequate pad thickness and lengths for these ranges are as
                          heavy or heavier... based on the model of pads, TR or DAMs and
                          number of wing section pieces selected. Determine the pads for you
                          for a given range and add them up... except for the minimal summer
                          set ups the weight will come to more, in some cases much more than
                          your stated 12 oz... It is true that for the weight this approach
                          retains pads for a go to ground capability, which some will find
                          desirable.

                          If I'm thinking correctly here, why are the
                          > underquilts so popular?

                          They really are very light, if not the lightest alternative... they
                          almost always win in less bulk... and, most importantly, there is
                          more comfort and freedom in a hammock with nothng but you and your
                          top cover in the hammock...

                          That said, you do not have a comfortable go to ground option that
                          retained pads alone, or in SPE, provide.

                          Note, I'm biased as an under quilt designer and maker....Just my
                          0.02 to keep the apples to apples discussion a more realistic
                          comparision.

                          Jack aka peter_pan

                          > Thanks for your input!
                          >
                          > Steve

                        • Steve Joiner
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005
                            Thanks for your insight, Jeff, Joe and Jack. Sounds like I need to take
                            another look at my analysis! I went into this with a bias that I really
                            want the underquilt (gettin' the Christmas list together!), and was
                            surprised at where my thoughts ended.... I'll noodle this around some more!

                            Steve