Re: hammock fabric question

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
      sometimes you just have to expierment with mysterey fabric. I got
      some that I thought was nylon and it ripped. I got some more that
      dont look much different and it has held so far. backing up a
      bit...The first I got was heavy poleyester. It is really tough
      stuff. I was trying to find something lighter. My newest hammock is
      probably less than regular ripstop but I'm not sure. maybe the same
      stuff you have that calculated to 1.53 oz/sq. yd.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:

      > ... i`m going to make a hammock & one of the fabric choices i`m
      concidering (from walmart) comes out to 1.53 oz per sq yd , by ed`s
      formula. do you think i may be pushing it? what is about the
      lightest you`ve used for any length of time? thanks...slowhike

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
        thanks coy... yea, i guess sometimes you just have to give it an
        educated guess & a careful try when your using the walmart specials.
        now i`m going to have to get a lady friend who is a seamstress, to
        help me figure out why i cant get the sewing machine to stich right on
        this fabric. i`ve had this problem before. the stich looks ok from the
        top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
        adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but it
        didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin. or
        mabey the stiff nylon thread is to heavy. but i think i used it on
        other thin fabrics? if any one has suggestions, i`m all ears.
        thanks...slowhike
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          Polyester or nylon?

          Bill in Houston

          wrote:

          > ... i`m going to make a hammock & one of the fabric choices i`m
          concidering (from walmart) comes out to 1.53 oz per sq yd , by ed`s
          formula. do you think i may be pushing it? what is about the
          lightest you`ve used for any length of time? thanks...slowhike

          > tim garner

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
            Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed
            between the tensioning disks. On our machine it is possible for the
            thread to kind of ride around the outside of the disks and not be
            squeezed. Don't mess with the bobbin yet.

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
              thanks bill... i`ll give it a try. ...slowhike

              Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed

              wrote:
              > leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
              > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but

              tim garner

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                wrote:
                > the stich looks ok from the
                > top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i
                tryed
                > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but
                it
                > didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin.

                Slowhike,

                Check this link - see if the pictures about 1/4 of the way down
                describe what's happening.

                http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

                Try what Bill said first, but this page has instructions for
                adjusting the bobbin tension if you end up needing it.

                Are you using the same thread on top and bottom? If the top and
                bottom differ in size, quality, material, etc, it might do what
                you're describing.

                Jeff
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                  i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                  saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride. i`ll
                  get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                    suggestions:

                    Guterman thread. It is high quality, 100 percent polyester. It can be
                    ordered on line from Quest and I have found it available at JoAnn's Fabrics.

                    Two things you may need to adjust: Your tension, or your needle. Some
                    needles don't work well with some fabrics. Experiment a little if the
                    tension does not work.

                    Also make really sure that the machine is threaded correctly.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Is there a way to test what a material is??
                      I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                      book)?
                      Ralph

                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

                        > Is there a way to test what a material is??
                        > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
                        of Ed's
                        > book)?

                        Assuming it's gridded nylon...

                        If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
                        barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
                        silnylon.

                        Are those the materials you're talking about?

                        Jeff
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                          The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
                          nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
                          frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
                          Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
                          setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
                          or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

                          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                          Editor, Hammock Camping News

                          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                          _____

                          Is there a way to test what a material is??
                          I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                          book)?
                          Ralph

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                          _____

                        • Bill in Houston
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                            It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                            the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                            Bill in Houston

                            > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                            >
                            > Jeff

                          • Bill in Houston
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                              A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                              big of a guy.

                              Bill in Houston

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                                Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                                It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                                the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                                Bill in Houston

                                > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                                >
                                > Jeff

                                Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                                tim garner

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                                  Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                                  big of a guy.

                                  Bill in Houston

                                  wrote:

                                  > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                                  > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                                  i`ll
                                  > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                                  tim garner

                                • Marta Clark
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                    When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                                    summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                                    the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                                    extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                                    far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                                    (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                                    it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                                    plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                                    hammock...after I get finished with the current
                                    backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                                    Marta

                                    Message: 2
                                    From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                                    Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                                    > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                                    fabric. the 1.5
                                    oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                                    insulated winter
                                    hammock. ...slowhike

                                    __________________________________
                                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                  • Bill in Houston
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                                      > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                                      broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                                      hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                                      oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                                      hammock. ...slowhike

                                      Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                                      Bill in Houston