hammock fabric question

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
      ... i`m going to make a hammock & one of the fabric choices i`m concidering (from walmart) comes out to 1.53 oz per sq yd , by ed`s formula. do you think i may be pushing it? what is about the lightest you`ve used for any length of time? thanks...slowhike

      tim garner

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
        sometimes you just have to expierment with mysterey fabric. I got
        some that I thought was nylon and it ripped. I got some more that
        dont look much different and it has held so far. backing up a
        bit...The first I got was heavy poleyester. It is really tough
        stuff. I was trying to find something lighter. My newest hammock is
        probably less than regular ripstop but I'm not sure. maybe the same
        stuff you have that calculated to 1.53 oz/sq. yd.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          thanks coy... yea, i guess sometimes you just have to give it an
          educated guess & a careful try when your using the walmart specials.
          now i`m going to have to get a lady friend who is a seamstress, to
          help me figure out why i cant get the sewing machine to stich right on
          this fabric. i`ve had this problem before. the stich looks ok from the
          top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
          adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but it
          didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin. or
          mabey the stiff nylon thread is to heavy. but i think i used it on
          other thin fabrics? if any one has suggestions, i`m all ears.
          thanks...slowhike
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
            Polyester or nylon?

            Bill in Houston

            wrote:

            > ... i`m going to make a hammock & one of the fabric choices i`m
            concidering (from walmart) comes out to 1.53 oz per sq yd , by ed`s
            formula. do you think i may be pushing it? what is about the
            lightest you`ve used for any length of time? thanks...slowhike

            > tim garner

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
              Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed
              between the tensioning disks. On our machine it is possible for the
              thread to kind of ride around the outside of the disks and not be
              squeezed. Don't mess with the bobbin yet.

              Bill in Houston

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                thanks bill... i`ll give it a try. ...slowhike

                Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Top tension too low. Make sure that the thread is being squeezed

                wrote:
                > leaving big loops on the bottom side. i tryed
                > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but

                tim garner

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > the stich looks ok from the
                  > top while sewing, but leaving big loops on the bottom side. i
                  tryed
                  > adjusting the tention knob for the top, both looser & tighter, but
                  it
                  > didn`t help. i don`t know how to adjust the tention on the bobbin.

                  Slowhike,

                  Check this link - see if the pictures about 1/4 of the way down
                  describe what's happening.

                  http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

                  Try what Bill said first, but this page has instructions for
                  adjusting the bobbin tension if you end up needing it.

                  Are you using the same thread on top and bottom? If the top and
                  bottom differ in size, quality, material, etc, it might do what
                  you're describing.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
                    i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                    saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride. i`ll
                    get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                      suggestions:

                      Guterman thread. It is high quality, 100 percent polyester. It can be
                      ordered on line from Quest and I have found it available at JoAnn's Fabrics.

                      Two things you may need to adjust: Your tension, or your needle. Some
                      needles don't work well with some fabrics. Experiment a little if the
                      tension does not work.

                      Also make really sure that the machine is threaded correctly.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                        Is there a way to test what a material is??
                        I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                        book)?
                        Ralph

                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005

                          > Is there a way to test what a material is??
                          > I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy
                          of Ed's
                          > book)?

                          Assuming it's gridded nylon...

                          If you can blow through it easily, it's ripstop nylon. If you can
                          barely blow through it, it's DWR. If you can't blow through it, it's
                          silnylon.

                          Are those the materials you're talking about?

                          Jeff
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                            The old flame test may be handy. In a tiny flame (candle or cig lighter),
                            nylon fibers melt while cotton fibers burn. Test individual fibers on a
                            frayed edge of the fabric. May not always be informative, but worth a try.
                            Note fabric stores like Wal-Mart or Jo Ann Fabrics frown on customers
                            setting their fabrics on fire inside the store! Take a small cut-off piece
                            or some pulled-off fibers outside to test...Ed

                            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                            Editor, Hammock Camping News

                            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                            _____

                            Is there a way to test what a material is??
                            I remember a flame test from somewhere (maybe from my lent out copy of Ed's
                            book)?
                            Ralph

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                            _____

                          • Bill in Houston
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                              Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                              It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                              the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                              Bill in Houston

                              > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                              >
                              > Jeff

                            • Bill in Houston
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                                big of a guy.

                                Bill in Houston

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  that would be good to know... that is, if a fabric is poly or nylon. ...slowhike

                                  Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:Nah, we were trying to figure out if it was polyester or nylon.

                                  It is something like one burns but the burning material drips off, and
                                  the other starts to burn but doesn't sustain a flame...

                                  Bill in Houston

                                  > Are those the materials you're talking about?
                                  >
                                  > Jeff

                                  Camping hammock Camping food Outdoors The great outdoors Outdoors equipment

                                  tim garner

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                    i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5 oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter hammock. ...slowhike

                                    Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:A good 1.5 oz nylon should be good enough as long as you are not too
                                    big of a guy.

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    wrote:

                                    > i think it`s nylon bill. and thanks jeff...nice page of info. i
                                    > saved it to my favorites & now i`m off to a chicken stew/hayride.
                                    i`ll
                                    > get back to this project tomorrow. thanks...slowride...i mean hike:~}

                                    tim garner

                                  • Marta Clark
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                      When I made the denim hammock for the back porch this
                                      summer, I was surprised at how much warmer it is than
                                      the nylon hammock. I am comfortable in it without any
                                      extra insulation underneath to around 60 degrees. So
                                      far this year, the most I've had to put underneath me
                                      (down to about 40) is a light fleece blanket. Too bad
                                      it's way too heavy for backpacking! However, I do
                                      plan to experiment with making a winter camping
                                      hammock...after I get finished with the current
                                      backpack and camping quilt sewing projects.

                                      Marta

                                      Message: 2
                                      From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                                      Subject: Re: Re: hammock fabric question

                                      > i may make another one out of a little heavyer
                                      fabric. the 1.5
                                      oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an
                                      insulated winter
                                      hammock. ...slowhike

                                      __________________________________
                                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                    • Bill in Houston
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                                        > i hover around 195-198 lbs. the hammock seems to be holding w/ no
                                        broblem, but i`m thinking mabey instead of depending on it for a winter
                                        hammock, i may make another one out of a little heavyer fabric. the 1.5
                                        oz fabric would probaby be a good outer shell for an insulated winter
                                        hammock. ...slowhike

                                        Yeah, seems a little light if you weigh 195-198...

                                        Bill in Houston