Re: bias

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      Biased? I have just the opposite view. Sure it lets the readers know
      what new products Spear Hammocks has available. But it list nearly
      every hammock maker known to man, with a convient link so you can go
      look. The articles are mostly written by Ed who happens to know a
      little about Spear Hammocks so I suspect he mentions his experiences
      with that brand hmmock. However, he has offerd anyone the chance to
      submite an article. If you hapenend to want to submit an article on
      some topic and happend to use a different brand of hammock then I'm
      sure it would be published as long as it wasn't bashing other brands.
      One thing I have noticed is that Ed does not bash other brands.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jsmitty77" <jsmitty7@h...> wrote:

      > I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the hammock camping
      > newsletter is very biased. I know Ed Spear makes a living off of
      > hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter, every article in
      > it should not promote 1 manufacturer. if it were the "Speer Hammock
      > Camping newsletter" then I would have no problem with this. But for
      > someone to have a newsletter that is supposed to encompass all of
      > hammock camping, why are Hennesey and Clark not represented?

    • Marta Clark
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        I think one reason you may perceive a bias (which I
        would agree with other responders does not actually
        exist on this site) is that many of the most frequent
        posters are amateur hammock makers and experimenters.
        Speer-style hammocks are the usual basis for these
        experiments, though there have been long threads (!)
        about experiments with altering Hennessy and other
        hammocks. Ed is incredibly supportive of the
        experimenters posting detailed descriptions of their
        projects, with links to pictures, etc., though the
        projects don't benefit him financially at all. I
        think you are quite mistaken about the bias you think
        you have seen.

        Marta

        From: "jsmitty77" <jsmitty7@...>
        >Subject: bias

        >I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the
        hammock camping
        newsletter is very biased. I know Ed Spear makes a
        living off of
        hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter,
        every article in
        it should not promote 1 manufacturer. if it were the
        "Speer Hammock
        Camping newsletter" then I would have no problem with
        this. But for
        someone to have a newsletter that is supposed to
        encompass all of
        hammock camping, why are Hennesey and Clark not
        represented?

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          wrote:
          > I know Ed Spear [sic] makes a living off of
          > hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter, every article
          in
          > it should not promote 1 manufacturer.

          As we say down here (well, maybe it's just me who says it) "It's a sad
          dog that won't wag his own tail"

          Bill in Houston
        • Dan Chase
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
            No,
            I think the Hammock Camping newsletter is doing the right thing. It
            does provide plenty of links to other manufacturers. It's a valuable
            service to us.
            (thanks, Ed!)
            Dan