bias

  • jsmitty77
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the hammock camping
      newsletter is very biased. I know Ed Spear makes a living off of
      hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter, every article in
      it should not promote 1 manufacturer. if it were the "Speer Hammock
      Camping newsletter" then I would have no problem with this. But for
      someone to have a newsletter that is supposed to encompass all of
      hammock camping, why are Hennesey and Clark not represented?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        Biased? I have just the opposite view. Sure it lets the readers know
        what new products Spear Hammocks has available. But it list nearly
        every hammock maker known to man, with a convient link so you can go
        look. The articles are mostly written by Ed who happens to know a
        little about Spear Hammocks so I suspect he mentions his experiences
        with that brand hmmock. However, he has offerd anyone the chance to
        submite an article. If you hapenend to want to submit an article on
        some topic and happend to use a different brand of hammock then I'm
        sure it would be published as long as it wasn't bashing other brands.
        One thing I have noticed is that Ed does not bash other brands.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jsmitty77" <jsmitty7@h...> wrote:

        > I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the hammock camping
        > newsletter is very biased. I know Ed Spear makes a living off of
        > hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter, every article in
        > it should not promote 1 manufacturer. if it were the "Speer Hammock
        > Camping newsletter" then I would have no problem with this. But for
        > someone to have a newsletter that is supposed to encompass all of
        > hammock camping, why are Hennesey and Clark not represented?

      • Marta Clark
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          I think one reason you may perceive a bias (which I
          would agree with other responders does not actually
          exist on this site) is that many of the most frequent
          posters are amateur hammock makers and experimenters.
          Speer-style hammocks are the usual basis for these
          experiments, though there have been long threads (!)
          about experiments with altering Hennessy and other
          hammocks. Ed is incredibly supportive of the
          experimenters posting detailed descriptions of their
          projects, with links to pictures, etc., though the
          projects don't benefit him financially at all. I
          think you are quite mistaken about the bias you think
          you have seen.

          Marta

          From: "jsmitty77" <jsmitty7@...>
          >Subject: bias

          >I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the
          hammock camping
          newsletter is very biased. I know Ed Spear makes a
          living off of
          hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter,
          every article in
          it should not promote 1 manufacturer. if it were the
          "Speer Hammock
          Camping newsletter" then I would have no problem with
          this. But for
          someone to have a newsletter that is supposed to
          encompass all of
          hammock camping, why are Hennesey and Clark not
          represented?

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            wrote:
            > I know Ed Spear [sic] makes a living off of
            > hammocks, but if someone were to publish a newsletter, every article
            in
            > it should not promote 1 manufacturer.

            As we say down here (well, maybe it's just me who says it) "It's a sad
            dog that won't wag his own tail"

            Bill in Houston
          • Dan Chase
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
              No,
              I think the Hammock Camping newsletter is doing the right thing. It
              does provide plenty of links to other manufacturers. It's a valuable
              service to us.
              (thanks, Ed!)
              Dan