Re: [Hammock Camping] Tarp Size

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      Joe O'Leary wrote:

      > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
      > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
      > coverage
      > of 10x12

      Joe,
      With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
      Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

      Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

      Rich
    • Joe O'Leary
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Rich,

        I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
        be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
        bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

        I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
        and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
        hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
        sack.

        -Joe

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
          smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
          per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

          Bill in Houston

          > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
          > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
          > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
          > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
          > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
          > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
          > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
          >
          > Coy Boy
        • Roby Dorsett
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
            Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
            Thanks,
            Rob

            _____

            His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
            smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
            per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

            Bill in Houston

            > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
            > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
            > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
            > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
            > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
            > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
            > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
            >
            > Coy Boy

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
              Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
              Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
              can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
              there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
              far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
              if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
              feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
              his but only 4 or so inches wider.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"