Re: Tarp Size

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
      stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
      so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
      so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
      rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
      it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
      would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

      Coy Boy

      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

      > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
      > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
      > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
      >
      > Bill in Houston
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
      > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
      > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
      > > think?
      > >
      > > Rex

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Joe O'Leary wrote:

        > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
        > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
        > coverage
        > of 10x12

        Joe,
        With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
        Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

        Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

        Rich
      • Joe O'Leary
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          Rich,

          I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
          be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
          bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

          I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
          and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
          hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
          sack.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
            smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
            per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

            Bill in Houston

            > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
            > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
            > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
            > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
            > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
            > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
            > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
            >
            > Coy Boy
          • Roby Dorsett
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
              Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
              Thanks,
              Rob

              _____

              His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
              smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
              per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

              Bill in Houston

              > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
              > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
              > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
              > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
              > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
              > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
              > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
              >
              > Coy Boy

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"