Re: Tarp Size

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
      coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
      underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
      wrote:

      > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
      > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
      > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
      > think?
      >
      > Rex

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
        stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
        so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
        so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
        rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
        it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
        would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

        Coy Boy

        <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

        > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
        > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
        > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
        >
        > Bill in Houston
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
        > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
        > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
        > > think?
        > >
        > > Rex

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          Joe O'Leary wrote:

          > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
          > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
          > coverage
          > of 10x12

          Joe,
          With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
          Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

          Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

          Rich
        • Joe O'Leary
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            Rich,

            I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
            be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
            bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

            I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
            and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
            hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
            sack.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
              smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
              per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

              Bill in Houston

              > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
              > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
              > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
              > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
              > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
              > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
              > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
              >
              > Coy Boy
            • Roby Dorsett
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                Thanks,
                Rob

                _____

                His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                Bill in Houston

                > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                >
                > Coy Boy

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                  Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                  can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                  there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                  far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                  if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                  feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                  his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"