RE: [Hammock Camping] Tarp Size

  • Joe O'Leary
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
      dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

      I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
      just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
      of 10x12

      Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

      -Joe

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
        coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
        underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
        wrote:

        > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
        > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
        > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
        > think?
        >
        > Rex

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
          stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
          so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
          so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
          rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
          it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
          would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

          Coy Boy

          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

          > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
          > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
          > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
          >
          > Bill in Houston
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
          > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
          > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
          > > think?
          > >
          > > Rex

        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            Joe O'Leary wrote:

            > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
            > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
            > coverage
            > of 10x12

            Joe,
            With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
            Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

            Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

            Rich
          • Joe O'Leary
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              Rich,

              I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
              be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
              bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

              I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
              and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
              hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
              sack.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                Bill in Houston

                > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                >
                > Coy Boy
              • Roby Dorsett
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                  Thanks,
                  Rob

                  _____

                  His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                  smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                  per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                  Bill in Houston

                  > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                  > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                  > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                  > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                  > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                  > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                  > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                    Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                    can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                    there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                    far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                    if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                    feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                    his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"