Tarp Size

  • rexhardy2003
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
      use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
      possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
      think?

      Rex
    • Joe O'Leary
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
        dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

        I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
        just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
        of 10x12

        Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

        -Joe

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
          coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
          underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
          wrote:

          > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
          > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
          > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
          > think?
          >
          > Rex

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
            stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
            so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
            so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
            rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
            it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
            would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

            Coy Boy

            <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

            > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
            > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
            > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
            >
            > Bill in Houston
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
            > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
            > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
            > > think?
            > >
            > > Rex

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              Joe O'Leary wrote:

              > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
              > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
              > coverage
              > of 10x12

              Joe,
              With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
              Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

              Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

              Rich
            • Joe O'Leary
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                Rich,

                I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
                be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
                bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

                I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
                and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
                hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
                sack.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                  His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                  smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                  per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                  Bill in Houston

                  > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                  > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                  > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                  > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                  > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                  > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                  > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                • Roby Dorsett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                    Thanks,
                    Rob

                    _____

                    His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                    smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                    per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                    Bill in Houston

                    > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                    > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                    > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                    > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                    > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                    > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                    > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                      Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                      Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                      can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                      there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                      far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                      if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                      feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                      his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"