Re: support line strength

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      > I think you're asking about the rope breaking... I think the first
      > think I would worry about with a prussik knot under that kind of
      load
      > is if it has enough friction to hold, will you still be able to
      slide
      > it when you want to.

      You're right. I tried putting a prussik with 550 cord on my homemade
      spectra supports. I had to fidget with it a bit, but it held. Making
      it slip afterwards was a little tough, but I found a very easy way to
      fix that - one small loop attached to the "wrap-around" part of the
      prussik. Immeasurable weight (on my 2g scale, anyway) and not any
      appreciable added complexity.

      But the HH spectra is a bit thinner than my other spectra, and the
      prussik line needs to be thinner than the support line. It wouldn't
      hold.

      So I looked up the Air Core on BPL and it looks like it'll work, but
      I'm concerned that if I put that much force on it, I'll be too close
      to its working load.

      What do you think?
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005

        > So I looked up the Air Core on BPL and it looks like it'll work, but
        > I'm concerned that if I put that much force on it, I'll be too close
        > to its working load.
        >
        > What do you think?

        Jeff,

        I'm not sure how you are using it. 1100 lbs wouldn't worry me too much
        for your weight if you are using a hammock without a structural
        ridgeline and are setting the hammock sag around 30 degrees. In that
        case the static load on each suspension line is pretty close to your
        body weight. However, if you are using the 'initially pull everything
        taut' technique that some folks are using, particularly hammocks with a
        structural ridgeline like Hennessy uses, then I would be a little
        worried because you might be putting several times your body weight on
        each suspension line.

        Again, I'm not sure how you are using it but the bowline with a quick
        release is very easy to tie/untie and holds very well with slippery
        rope. With not so slippery rope, it is not that easy to pull the quick
        release free-- I had trouble getting my Hennessy to slip from the quick
        release a time or two. I had the nylon webbing on a twin-layer hammock
        actually melt from the tension/stretching at the knot and had to
        literally cut it off of the tree. It is important to not use the wrong
        knot for the type hammock suspension line you use... not only does it
        have to hold under pretty high loading, you also want it to
        untie/release in the morning! That bowline with a quick release is
        what I have been using for my rather slippery poly rope and it is what
        the Clark Hammocks use for there poly rope. I suspect that it is
        easier to use than many of the 'easy' attachment schemes that I have
        seen for hammock suspension lines. If you are not familar with bowline
        with a quick release, there is an excellent illustration on Clark's web
        site in his online manual.

        Dave
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
          wrote:
          [...]
          > > I'm concerned that if I put that much force on it, I'll be too
          close
          > > to its working load.
          [...]
          > It is important to not use the wrong
          > knot for the type hammock suspension line you use... not only does
          it
          > have to hold under pretty high loading, you also want it to
          > untie/release in the morning! That bowline with a quick release is
          > what I have been using for my rather slippery poly rope and it is
          what
          > the Clark Hammocks use for there poly rope. I suspect that it is
          > easier to use than many of the 'easy' attachment schemes that I
          have
          > seen for hammock suspension lines.

          I think the problem he's going to have is that the Prusik will shred
          the spectra line's braided nylon sheath in fairly short order. As
          slippery as spectra is the sheath will eventually just separate and
          slide along, slowly lowering the hammock to the ground. It's just
          not meant to hold that kind of weight in that fashion.

          For webbing on a 'biner (winter setup) I've gravitated towards using
          the figure-8 wrap used with the HH line. Solid and secure, easy to
          handle--even with gloves, or if it gets rained on and freezes. (Take
          the hammock off the 'biner and thaw out the rigging later on. No
          holdup getting on the trail.)

          Folks here were praising the Ossel Hitch for webbing a while back.
          One of its virtues is easy adjustability. I wonder how many are
          still using that?

          Doug Frost