hammock adjustment

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
      i wish i had that camera... a photo or 2 would be so much better
      than my hunt-n-pecking & trying to explan my experiments:~} we
      have talked about a way to make quick adjustments to the hammock
      (like to adjust the distance of hammock between two trees, or adjust
      sag after streching)w/o having to take the webbing loose from the
      tree. i belive bear (david c) had showed how he used 2 rings &
      webbing, but i didn`t get that to work so well for me. so i`ve
      continued to think about buckles, etc. first i came up w/ a 5/16
      steel rod (mabey 4" long)w/ a U in the middle. the bottom of the U is
      where the hammock loop rested. the webbing (comming from the tree)
      went around the two bars going of to the left & right of the top of
      the U, back & forth, figure 8 style. it worked just fine (just over 2
      ozs) but the webbing bunched up tightly as the figure 8 formed,
      causing me to wonder if this would cause a weakness. i played around
      w/ a variation that somewhat improved the bunching, but then came up
      w/ a simpler verson. it`s just a strait length of 5/16 steel rod, 2"
      long (less than 1 oz). the webbing comes off the tree & through the
      hammock loop. the short bar is layed across the loop & webbing. then
      the webbing goes around it`s self once then begins to form a figure
      8. it aint going nowhere & it`s easy to unwrap to
      readjust. ...slowhike
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
        more thoughts & questions about the adjuster system i`m working
        on. 1st, i managed to break the 1" walmart poly webbing once, &
        would have a second time had i not seen it first. i think the reason
        being is that the distance between the hammock loop & eye bolt on my
        wall was only about 10-12" and the webbing was seriously bunched-up at
        both attachment points & therefore bunched-up all the way between
        also. it was attached to the eye bolt w/ a knot so i`ve replaced that
        w/ a sewn 3" loop now. SIDE NOTE... i love to swing in the hammock,
        so i`m sure this played it`s part. but now i`m looking to reduce
        bunching somewhat at the attachment points. BACK TO THE HAMMOCK
        LOOP... the quick setup & adjustment using the 2" bar is working well.
        i`m thinking about using a larger tube insted of the 5/16" bar. the
        larger bar should help to reduce bunching by providing a larger flat
        surface for the webbing to lay on as it makes 1st contact. last night
        i used one of the EASTON tubular tent stakes (9" long) just for
        testing. i`m also thinking about trying copper pipe or electrical
        conduit. at 2-3" i think they would be hard to collapse or bend by the
        force of a flat webbing. ...slowhike...just thinking out loud
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:
          > i`m also thinking about trying copper pipe or electrical
          > conduit.

          Or maybe a PVC fitting... You could sand down all the sharp edges if
          you wanted to.

          Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
            another idea to check out.
            like some of the others said, it may end up being just as easy to tie
            the strap to the tree. but i`ve done some experimenting w/ this too.
            one reason is that when you set-up in the rain it would be nice to do
            the fine tuning under the tarp.
            in the photos, under slowhike/ hammock adjustments you`ll see photos
            of one idea.
            i havent spent much time w/ this set-up yet, seting-up & taking
            down, but i have slept w/ it several nights. it`s not going any where
            after it`s set. ...tim