Re: [Hammock Camping] dry sleep wear (was Cold weather hammocking)

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
      Chuck Henderson wrote:

      >ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
      >I change into at night are the very same clothes we
      >will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
      >this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
      >Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
      >were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
      >hung out overnight and dried that way.
      >
      >I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
      >forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
      >fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
      >this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
      >night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
      >got much better

      Chuck,

      I never carry more than one set of hiking clothes so I can't change into
      what I am going to wear tomorrow without wearing the same clothes I wore
      today. Except for socks and underwear I can wear all the clothes I
      carry as a part of a layering system.

      At -30C (-22F) I would be using vapor barrier clothing. VB makes
      layering critical, but clothes do not get wet from the inside. Those
      are really great times when you get up in the morning and shake the ice
      crystals out of your wool garments. We may be off topic because I would
      not be using a hammock in these conditions. In the winter I do carry an
      extra pair of long underwear.

      Tim,

      Generally, the times that I sleep in my hiking clothes are the same
      times I don't brush my teeth before bed. Hiking and sleeping in the
      same clothes makes me prone to monkey butt. YMMV

      Sleeping wet and warm is just another variation of VB technique.
      However, the morning "flash" is very uncomfortable if you are wearing
      your hiking clothes. YMMV.

      Jeff,

      Not much to see at any temperature. Contrary to popular opinion, I do
      NOT have chronic monkey butt - I just walk funny<grin>.

      Dick Matthews