Two Bags in One

  • rexhardy2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
      I have been reading a lot about cold weather hammocking. I have done
      some cold weather camping (approx. 5 degress F) but I understand the
      challenges of the hammock and being surrounded by cold air. Here is a
      thought and I was wondering if it had been tried before and if so how
      it worked. I have a cheap version rectangular bag. I also have a 20
      degree North Face Cats Meow. If I used the foam pad, then put the
      North Face bag inside of the cheap bag I might have a relatively warm
      set up.

      So what do you think?

      I may try it out next weekend for the heck of it. I don't know how
      cold it will be next weekend but if it doesn't work I only a few feet
      from the house.

      Rex
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
        Next to your house is a great place to try things out. That way it is
        possible to try out wilder weather than you might be willing to try 10
        miles from a car. When I do this, it builds confidence and experience.

        Rick

        rexhardy2003 wrote:

        > I have been reading a lot about cold weather hammocking. I have done
        > some cold weather camping (approx. 5 degress F) but I understand the
        > challenges of the hammock and being surrounded by cold air. Here is a
        > thought and I was wondering if it had been tried before and if so how
        > it worked. I have a cheap version rectangular bag. I also have a 20
        > degree North Face Cats Meow. If I used the foam pad, then put the
        > North Face bag inside of the cheap bag I might have a relatively warm
        > set up.
        >
        > So what do you think?
        >
        > I may try it out next weekend for the heck of it. I don't know how
        > cold it will be next weekend but if it doesn't work I only a few feet
        > from the house.
        >
        > Rex

      • Rat
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
          I tried two bags when I was considering making my pod style
          insulator. The main problem for me is not enough room. The pod
          already doesn't let me lie at as much of an angle as I like to.
          Which is fine, I sacrifice a little comfort for warmth, but two bags
          was just too much. Too restrictive, I guess.

          I did have better success using a light weight (thin) summer bag
          (synthetic) only on the bottom. I used the FrankenPod kinda like the
          Garlinton Taco, I just shoved the summer bad into the bootm of it
          and crinkled the extra up around the top of the hammock to give
          better insulation to my upper body. By morning it had all slid down
          to the bottom so you would ned to clip it to the hammock or pod to
          get it to stay. It only got down to 40 degrees that night, and I was
          wearing only cotton gym shorts, and it was still a little warm, I
          actually had to vent the whole set up quite a bit.

          So now, I am going to carry a CC pad along with the pod, and, when
          needed, slide it inside the pod under the hammock. Lighter, less
          bulk and multiple use.

          Rat

          BTW, I am going to change the name of my photo folder to Rat's.
          Should have done it sooner.