Re: [Hammock Camping] dry sleep wear (was Cold weather hammocking)

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      > Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this
      morning.
      > Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for
      life
      > the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

      Nah - not much to see at those temps...
    • Chuck Henderson
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
        ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
        I change into at night are the very same clothes we
        will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
        this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
        Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
        were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
        hung out overnight and dried that way.

        I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
        forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
        fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
        this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
        night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
        got much better

        --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > unnoticable. and by morning the base layer & any
        > other clothing i sleep in is completly dry.
        > that`s the way i like to do it & there`s little, if
        > any discomfort. i would like to learn more about
        > how others deal w/ moist clothing in differant
        > situations. it`s my understanding that some long
        > term hikers do carry an extra set of clothes for
        > sleep only, & keep them dry at all cost, while
        > others wouldn`t think of carrying an extra set of
        > cloting just for that purpose. i recently read on
        > the "backpackinglight.com" form, ryan jordan talked
        > about digging a snow cave or trench & climbing into
        > his bag soaking wet from sweat & contact w/ the
        > snow. he said he had no problem w/ doing this w/ the
        > right clothing/sleeping system. so anyway, i`d like
        > to learn more about what works in real life for
        > others. thanks...slowhike
        >
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        >
        > .
        > .
        > ..
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > ..
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > ..
        > .
        >

        > .
        > . .
        >

        > .
        >
        > .

        > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors

        Chuck
        counterculture in a conformist environment
        I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
          Chuck Henderson wrote:

          >ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
          >I change into at night are the very same clothes we
          >will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
          >this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
          >Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
          >were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
          >hung out overnight and dried that way.
          >
          >I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
          >forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
          >fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
          >this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
          >night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
          >got much better

          Chuck,

          I never carry more than one set of hiking clothes so I can't change into
          what I am going to wear tomorrow without wearing the same clothes I wore
          today. Except for socks and underwear I can wear all the clothes I
          carry as a part of a layering system.

          At -30C (-22F) I would be using vapor barrier clothing. VB makes
          layering critical, but clothes do not get wet from the inside. Those
          are really great times when you get up in the morning and shake the ice
          crystals out of your wool garments. We may be off topic because I would
          not be using a hammock in these conditions. In the winter I do carry an
          extra pair of long underwear.

          Tim,

          Generally, the times that I sleep in my hiking clothes are the same
          times I don't brush my teeth before bed. Hiking and sleeping in the
          same clothes makes me prone to monkey butt. YMMV

          Sleeping wet and warm is just another variation of VB technique.
          However, the morning "flash" is very uncomfortable if you are wearing
          your hiking clothes. YMMV.

          Jeff,

          Not much to see at any temperature. Contrary to popular opinion, I do
          NOT have chronic monkey butt - I just walk funny<grin>.

          Dick Matthews