Re: [Hammock Camping] dry sleep wear (was Cold weather hammocking)

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
      tim garner wrote:

      > chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
      >.

      Tim,

      I have slept in my hiking clothes many times. I try to avoid it because
      it is not the lifestyle I seek on hikes.

      The Scots used their kilts (the whole nine yards) as attire and a
      sleeping system.

      During armed forces special forces training it is normal to sleep wet
      and warm in a poncho burrito.

      The reason I change into and sleep in clean dry long underwear is based
      on lifestyle preferences. I do not want to wash by sleeping bag very
      often. I want to clean my self up everyday, even if it is only wet
      wipes. Multiple layers makes the clean up process more complicated. On
      those occasion when I have had to use my long underwear as a part of my
      hiking clothes I am much more anxious because I know I have already used
      my safety margin.

      I own a number of tents and tarps, but my preferred shelter is a hammock
      for lifestyle/comfort reasons.

      I own a white gas and gas canister stoves, but prefer an alcohol stove
      for lifestyle reasons.

      Tim, you are gonna die if you keep sleeping in your hiking clothes
      <grin>. It won't be sleeping in your hiking clothes that killed you,
      but wearing the same clothes 24/7 does not make your life better.

      Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this morning.
      Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for life
      the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

      For multi-nights below freezing I highly recommend getting some
      experience using vapor barriers.

      Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
        Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:as I tell my scouts " suck it up" short term pain for
        long term gain etc.... the quick dry stuff has very
        little insulation value.

        Do it the way I do :

        ......Any fool can be uncomfortable!

        . chuck... that`s awfully strong language you put w/ your opinion my friend. one thing i`ve learned about backpacking is...there`s more than one way to do things. differant methods have there pros & cons, thier advantages & disadvantages. the quick dry stuff does what it`s supposed to very well (some fabrics better than others mabey). it`s not supposed to be of great insulative value, but part of a clothing system that can be worn (& dryed) through a wide range of weather conditions. i understand the advantages of putting on a dry layer at night, but i also know the discomforts of changing at night & changing back into damp clothing in the morning (even if i did sleep w/ it in my bag to keep it warm). i also know that if i do certain things in the evening hours, my clothing almost always feels dry by the time i climb into my bag at night. any moisture left is soon so warm it`s completely unnoticable. and by morning the base layer & any other clothing i sleep in is completly dry.
        that`s the way i like to do it & there`s little, if any discomfort. i would like to learn more about how others deal w/ moist clothing in differant situations. it`s my understanding that some long term hikers do carry an extra set of clothes for sleep only, & keep them dry at all cost, while others wouldn`t think of carrying an extra set of cloting just for that purpose. i recently read on the "backpackinglight.com" form, ryan jordan talked about digging a snow cave or trench & climbing into his bag soaking wet from sweat & contact w/ the snow. he said he had no problem w/ doing this w/ the right clothing/sleeping system. so anyway, i`d like to learn more about what works in real life for others. thanks...slowhike

        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .

        .
        .
        ..
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        ..
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        ..
        .

        .
        . .

        .

        .

        tim garner

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
          > Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this
          morning.
          > Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for
          life
          > the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

          Nah - not much to see at those temps...
        • Chuck Henderson
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
            ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
            I change into at night are the very same clothes we
            will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
            this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
            Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
            were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
            hung out overnight and dried that way.

            I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
            forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
            fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
            this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
            night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
            got much better

            --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > ..
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > ..
            > .
            >

            > .
            > . .
            >

            > .
            >
            > .

            > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors

            Chuck
            counterculture in a conformist environment
            I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
              Chuck Henderson wrote:

              >ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
              >I change into at night are the very same clothes we
              >will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
              >this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
              >Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
              >were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
              >hung out overnight and dried that way.
              >
              >I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
              >forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
              >fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
              >this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
              >night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
              >got much better

              Chuck,

              I never carry more than one set of hiking clothes so I can't change into
              what I am going to wear tomorrow without wearing the same clothes I wore
              today. Except for socks and underwear I can wear all the clothes I
              carry as a part of a layering system.

              At -30C (-22F) I would be using vapor barrier clothing. VB makes
              layering critical, but clothes do not get wet from the inside. Those
              are really great times when you get up in the morning and shake the ice
              crystals out of your wool garments. We may be off topic because I would
              not be using a hammock in these conditions. In the winter I do carry an
              extra pair of long underwear.

              Tim,

              Generally, the times that I sleep in my hiking clothes are the same
              times I don't brush my teeth before bed. Hiking and sleeping in the
              same clothes makes me prone to monkey butt. YMMV

              Sleeping wet and warm is just another variation of VB technique.
              However, the morning "flash" is very uncomfortable if you are wearing
              your hiking clothes. YMMV.

              Jeff,

              Not much to see at any temperature. Contrary to popular opinion, I do
              NOT have chronic monkey butt - I just walk funny<grin>.

              Dick Matthews