Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Cold weather hammocking

  • Chuck Henderson
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
      remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
      clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
      the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
      this makes for a very very cold night, some of my
      scout troop didn't listen to this advice last winter
      and absolutely froze!

      --- john hill <nil_dog@...> wrote:

      > thanks to all that replied. i've slept in my
      > mid-weights, pants, sweater, watch cap, nylon
      > pullover jacket, liner socks, hiking socks, blue
      > pad, 30 degree sleeping bag and have done ok with
      > the lower temps. i'm for not carrying any more than
      > i have to since i don't want the weight. expecting
      > mid 30's tomorrow night and i'm planning on hanging
      > up in the back yard and we'll see how that goes.
      >
      > john
      >
      > "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill"
      > <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
      > > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with
      > underpads, overpads,
      > > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55
      > degrees and such. What
      > > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this?
      > Are you in your
      > > drawers or what?
      >
      > I wear light weight polypro tops & bottoms plus a
      > polypro bacalava
      > with med. weight Smart Wool sox.
      >
      > Worked for me last winter into the teens in Risk's
      > ZHammock.
      >
      > Worked for me last week in my new Speer with SPE at
      > 45 F.
      >
      > Used my zero sleeping bag as a quilt thrown loose
      > over me last winter.
      > Last week at 45 F, I used a thin light weight fleece
      > blanket.
      >
      > Warmer temps this past summer, no pads... Just
      > whatever I happened to
      > have on...
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.

      > Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors Happy
      > camper Outdoors Great outdoors

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

      > removed]

      Chuck
      counterculture in a conformist environment
      I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • john hill
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
        I do - but that's a good thing to remind folks of.

        Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
          Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
          clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
          the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
          this makes for a very very cold night.

          chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
          .
          > .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

          ..
          .
          .
          .
          .

          ..
          .
          .
          .

          >.

          .

          .
          .

          .

          .
          .
          .

          .

          .
          .

          .

          .
          .

          tim garner

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
            >chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to
            >discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to
            >actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold.

            Agreed!

            >what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of
            >others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer
            >on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of
            >clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet
            >conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing.

            Altho' I have never thought-it-thru, I guess that the above is true.
            I wear polypro long underwear and it seems to be dry by the time I
            crawl in for the night. Body odor has NEVER bothered me and I think
            it keeps bugs and annoying nearby campers far away...<g>...

            >the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked
            >great.

            I have been out there many times sub-zero and no problems crawling in
            with whatever I have been wearing all day. "Worse" conditions; e.g.,
            rain becoming sleet becoming freezing rain, I have sometimes switched
            to another set of polypro or silk long underwear only because I was
            soaked-thru setting up for the night.

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • Chuck Henderson
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
              as I tell my scouts " suck it up" short term pain for
              long term gain etc.... the quick dry stuff has very
              little insulation value.

              Do it the way I do :

              crawl into sleeping bag wearing sock( fresh ones) long
              undies, bring into the bag with you a fresh pair of
              long undies and change in the bag, this is a source of
              great hilarity among my troop as they bash and thrash
              around in a sleeping bag, but it actually serve a
              couple of purposes:

              1 they are wearing clean dry long undies
              2 they have fluffed up the sleeping bag
              3 they have generated a little bit of heat

              another trick I learned from my stint in the reserve
              infantry is to put tomorrows panst and shirt into the
              bag with you that way they are nice and warm come the
              morning

              Any fool can be uncomfortable!

            • wfunk@adelphia.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                Changing down to skin is especially difficult if you are not in shelter and everything is cold and wet. I just finished two weeks from Neels Gap to Newfound Gap and I needed everything I had to stay warm. I would dry out during the night. I didn't stay in a shelter until I has to in the Park. The shelters were not as bad but nothing dried out at night if I didn wear it. I did try to take off my UnderArmor undershorts because they are so restrictive when trying to sleep but great for hiking-no between legs abrasion.

                Wayne

                ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

                > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
                > clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
                > the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
                > this makes for a very very cold night.

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                  I usually nest one sleeping bag inside another. Anything I want to dry
                  or keep from freezing goes into the space between the two bags.

                  Ralph
                • Dick Matthews
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                    tim garner wrote:

                    > chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
                    >.

                    Tim,

                    I have slept in my hiking clothes many times. I try to avoid it because
                    it is not the lifestyle I seek on hikes.

                    The Scots used their kilts (the whole nine yards) as attire and a
                    sleeping system.

                    During armed forces special forces training it is normal to sleep wet
                    and warm in a poncho burrito.

                    The reason I change into and sleep in clean dry long underwear is based
                    on lifestyle preferences. I do not want to wash by sleeping bag very
                    often. I want to clean my self up everyday, even if it is only wet
                    wipes. Multiple layers makes the clean up process more complicated. On
                    those occasion when I have had to use my long underwear as a part of my
                    hiking clothes I am much more anxious because I know I have already used
                    my safety margin.

                    I own a number of tents and tarps, but my preferred shelter is a hammock
                    for lifestyle/comfort reasons.

                    I own a white gas and gas canister stoves, but prefer an alcohol stove
                    for lifestyle reasons.

                    Tim, you are gonna die if you keep sleeping in your hiking clothes
                    <grin>. It won't be sleeping in your hiking clothes that killed you,
                    but wearing the same clothes 24/7 does not make your life better.

                    Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this morning.
                    Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for life
                    the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

                    For multi-nights below freezing I highly recommend getting some
                    experience using vapor barriers.

                    Dick Matthews
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                      Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:as I tell my scouts " suck it up" short term pain for
                      long term gain etc.... the quick dry stuff has very
                      little insulation value.

                      Do it the way I do :

                      ......Any fool can be uncomfortable!

                      . chuck... that`s awfully strong language you put w/ your opinion my friend. one thing i`ve learned about backpacking is...there`s more than one way to do things. differant methods have there pros & cons, thier advantages & disadvantages. the quick dry stuff does what it`s supposed to very well (some fabrics better than others mabey). it`s not supposed to be of great insulative value, but part of a clothing system that can be worn (& dryed) through a wide range of weather conditions. i understand the advantages of putting on a dry layer at night, but i also know the discomforts of changing at night & changing back into damp clothing in the morning (even if i did sleep w/ it in my bag to keep it warm). i also know that if i do certain things in the evening hours, my clothing almost always feels dry by the time i climb into my bag at night. any moisture left is soon so warm it`s completely unnoticable. and by morning the base layer & any other clothing i sleep in is completly dry.
                      that`s the way i like to do it & there`s little, if any discomfort. i would like to learn more about how others deal w/ moist clothing in differant situations. it`s my understanding that some long term hikers do carry an extra set of clothes for sleep only, & keep them dry at all cost, while others wouldn`t think of carrying an extra set of cloting just for that purpose. i recently read on the "backpackinglight.com" form, ryan jordan talked about digging a snow cave or trench & climbing into his bag soaking wet from sweat & contact w/ the snow. he said he had no problem w/ doing this w/ the right clothing/sleeping system. so anyway, i`d like to learn more about what works in real life for others. thanks...slowhike

                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      .
                      .
                      ..
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      ..
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      ..
                      .

                      .
                      . .

                      .

                      .

                      tim garner

                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
                        > Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this
                        morning.
                        > Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for
                        life
                        > the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

                        Nah - not much to see at those temps...
                      • Chuck Henderson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                          ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
                          I change into at night are the very same clothes we
                          will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
                          this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
                          Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
                          were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
                          hung out overnight and dried that way.

                          I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
                          forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
                          fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
                          this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
                          night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
                          got much better

                          --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > .
                          > .
                          > .
                          > .
                          > .
                          > ..
                          > .
                          >

                          > .
                          > . .
                          >

                          > .
                          >
                          > .

                          > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
                          > Happy camper Outdoors

                          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >

                          > tim garner

                          > removed]

                          Chuck
                          counterculture in a conformist environment
                          I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

                          http://farechase.yahoo.com
                        • Dick Matthews
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                            Chuck Henderson wrote:

                            >ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
                            >I change into at night are the very same clothes we
                            >will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
                            >this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
                            >Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
                            >were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
                            >hung out overnight and dried that way.
                            >
                            >I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
                            >forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
                            >fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
                            >this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
                            >night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
                            >got much better

                            Chuck,

                            I never carry more than one set of hiking clothes so I can't change into
                            what I am going to wear tomorrow without wearing the same clothes I wore
                            today. Except for socks and underwear I can wear all the clothes I
                            carry as a part of a layering system.

                            At -30C (-22F) I would be using vapor barrier clothing. VB makes
                            layering critical, but clothes do not get wet from the inside. Those
                            are really great times when you get up in the morning and shake the ice
                            crystals out of your wool garments. We may be off topic because I would
                            not be using a hammock in these conditions. In the winter I do carry an
                            extra pair of long underwear.

                            Tim,

                            Generally, the times that I sleep in my hiking clothes are the same
                            times I don't brush my teeth before bed. Hiking and sleeping in the
                            same clothes makes me prone to monkey butt. YMMV

                            Sleeping wet and warm is just another variation of VB technique.
                            However, the morning "flash" is very uncomfortable if you are wearing
                            your hiking clothes. YMMV.

                            Jeff,

                            Not much to see at any temperature. Contrary to popular opinion, I do
                            NOT have chronic monkey butt - I just walk funny<grin>.

                            Dick Matthews