Cold weather report - for the not very cold

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2003
      My recent trip to Florida allowed several nights to play with the
      hammock... It also gave my 14 year old son his first night in a
      hammock.

      I was playing with the idea of a synthetic sleeping bag instead of a
      pad for mild weather. (well that and the fact that I forgot my pad)

      A full night at 65 degrees in a 40 degree bag was nice an comfy
      without a pad. My son had a similar nice night.

      However, we stopped at Mammoth Cave on the way back and I decided to
      try a night out with the sleeping bag with outside air temp of 55 and
      5-10 mph wind.... I would have survived, but it was definately not
      comfortable. I retreated to my wife's side in the pop-up camper at
      about 0330 with two very cold hips and shoulders.

      So, with a rather light quilt and a light pad, the hammock is good at
      least to 35 degrees, but without the pad and fully inside a
      reasonable sleeping bag, it was quite uncomfortable....

      This is not new knowledge, just a note here to show that I get cold
      too!