AT and Trail Fest

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2003
      My family stopped by Hot Springs NC a weekend back for trail fest.
      It is a cute little festival much like what trail days must have been
      like 15 years ago. We enjoyed it a lot.

      Associated notes:

      It was nice to meet Ed Speer and Karen face to face. He was in town
      with a little stand of his books in front of the outfitter. Too bad
      he did not have room to put his hammock up on the side walk. It
      might have gotten a little more attention from those walking past.

      I met a thru-hiking hammock camper. Chad, "the one" was a nice young
      feller staying at the campground and his Crazy Creek hammock was
      still hanging up at 0800 when I walked by. I stopped by and asked
      him about his gear decisions... What was the one best piece of gear
      he was carrying and what was the one worst piece...

      Best: Hammock
      Worst: down vest (useless in "the rain forest")

      The family had a nice day hike on the AT south to Deer Park shelter.
      On the way back, Warren Doyle was hosting a question and answer
      session for 45 minutes at trail fest. He is full of quick and witty
      answers on a wealth of subjects. I asked "what he thought of hammock
      camping on the trail, seeing that Ed Speer, the fellow who wrote the
      book on hammock camping was in town..."

      He answered that he can not sleep in hammocks, but that many do and
      find them wonderful. Did I imagine it, or did he mention that there
      are sure a lot more places on the trail to hang a hammock than to put
      a tent? Whatever the answer, I can attest from my short day hike
      that there certainly are no shortage of hammock paired trees that can
      be used to bed down.