Give it a try

  • rexhardy2003
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
      I need some input from everyone. I would like to try hammock camping
      but don't want to spend to much to find that it isn't for me. I see
      this as a seasonal type of shelter as I hate to be cold. I have looked
      at the HH but don't want to buy and find that I don't like this
      although it seems that this is the "cadillac" of hammocks. I have also
      looked in campmor at their various offerings and it appears that I
      could give it a try in the $30-$50 range including the bug net. Now my
      question what would you recommend to buy with the understanding that if
      I do like it I won't have to go right out and buy another hammock the
      following week. I already have a tarp shelter so I can use that one if
      the weather is rainy. Thanks for the assistance.

      Rex
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
        Try making your own?
        http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm. You should also
        check out Ed Speer's book: http://www.speerhammocks.com

        As someone else (Brian) said here recently, "Be forewarned though,
        once you hammock camp you will never intentionally sleep on the ground
        again."

        Mark

        On 10/24/05, rexhardy2003 <REH1966_04@...> wrote:
        > I need some input from everyone. I would like to try hammock camping
        > but don't want to spend to much to find that it isn't for me. I see
        > this as a seasonal type of shelter as I hate to be cold. I have looked
        > at the HH but don't want to buy and find that I don't like this
        > although it seems that this is the "cadillac" of hammocks. I have also
        > looked in campmor at their various offerings and it appears that I
        > could give it a try in the $30-$50 range including the bug net. Now my
        > question what would you recommend to buy with the understanding that if
        > I do like it I won't have to go right out and buy another hammock the
        > following week. I already have a tarp shelter so I can use that one if
        > the weather is rainy. Thanks for the assistance.
        >
        > Rex
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
          <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

          First of all, several stores have a no-questions-asked return policy.
          If you buy a Hennessy from REI and don't like the cordlock on the
          stuff sack, you can return the whole product. Same goes for REI.com,
          and I think Campmor has something similar. Take the plunge.

          Second, HH may be the Cadillac, but Speers are the Lincoln
          Navigators. My homemade Speers are more comfy than the HH to sleep in.
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/

          Also, you can make your own Speer-type for about $10-15.
          http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

          And last, there are lots of ways to make hammocks a four-season
          shelter depending on what winter is like where you live. Several
          folks on this list have been into the teens without too much
          trouble...it just takes some creativity getting started. Some ideas
          here:
          http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

          And most camping hammocks come with tarps, so you won't need to bail
          out just because it rains.
          http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingDry.html

          It's still good to have a bail-out plan for your first nights in a new
          type of shelter, but Sgt Rock (www.hikinghq.net) went through a
          hurricane in his Hennessy and stayed dry. Rain isn't any more of a
          problem in a hammock than in a tent...maybe even less so.

          You came to the right place to ask questions, though! Glad to have ya!

          Jeff
        • rexhardy2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
            I have visited these sites and believe that I will indeed make one of
            the speer type hammocks. For the cost it seems to be just the ticket
            for an opportunity to try it out. Is this the type you use or have
            you done any major modifications to this design. Thanks.

            Rex

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"
            > <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:
            >
            > First of all, several stores have a no-questions-asked return
            policy.
            > If you buy a Hennessy from REI and don't like the cordlock on the
            > stuff sack, you can return the whole product. Same goes for
            REI.com,
            > and I think Campmor has something similar. Take the plunge.
            >
            > Second, HH may be the Cadillac, but Speers are the Lincoln
            > Navigators. My homemade Speers are more comfy than the HH to sleep
            in.
            > http://www.speerhammocks.com/
            >
            > Also, you can make your own Speer-type for about $10-15.
            > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
            >
            > And last, there are lots of ways to make hammocks a four-season
            > shelter depending on what winter is like where you live. Several
            > folks on this list have been into the teens without too much
            > trouble...it just takes some creativity getting started. Some
            ideas
            > here:
            > http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html
            >
            > And most camping hammocks come with tarps, so you won't need to
            bail
            > out just because it rains.
            > http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingDry.html
            >
            > It's still good to have a bail-out plan for your first nights in a
            new
            > type of shelter, but Sgt Rock (www.hikinghq.net) went through a
            > hurricane in his Hennessy and stayed dry. Rain isn't any more of a
            > problem in a hammock than in a tent...maybe even less so.
            >
            > You came to the right place to ask questions, though! Glad to have
            ya!

            > Jeff

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
              Rex,

              I use a double layer testhammock and think it's great. It was the
              right shelter for all of the trips I have been on so far. If there
              were a lot of bugs, I might make one with a more integrated net, but
              I really just think I would drape my mosquito netting over it.

              Bill in Houston

              <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

              > I have visited these sites and believe that I will indeed make one
              of
              > the speer type hammocks. For the cost it seems to be just the
              ticket
              > for an opportunity to try it out. Is this the type you use or have
              > you done any major modifications to this design. Thanks.
              >
              > Rex
            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
                Rex-

                Where are you? If you wanted to join me on a backpacking trip, I could lend you a spare hammock. Some others around here might do the same. If you can get to the Delaware Water Gap area for Veterans' Day weekend, several of us will be "hanging out" when not hiking at Dingman's Campground.

                Rosaleen

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
                  Rosaleen,

                  I actually live in Southwest Virginia. From where I live I can be in
                  Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee or North Carolina all within an
                  hour or so. It doesn't look like I am very convenient to you but I
                  do appreciate the offer.

                  Rex

                  <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:

                  > Rex-
                  >
                  > Where are you? If you wanted to join me on a backpacking trip, I
                  could lend you a spare hammock. Some others around here might do
                  the same. If you can get to the Delaware Water Gap area for
                  Veterans' Day weekend, several of us will be "hanging out" when not
                  hiking at Dingman's Campground.

                  > Rosaleen
                  >
                  > From: "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...<mailto:REH1966_04@h...>>
                  > Subject: Give it a try
                  >
                  > I need some input from everyone. I would like to try hammock
                  camping
                  > but don't want to spend to much to find that it isn't for me. I
                  see
                  > this as a seasonal type of shelter as I hate to be cold. I have
                  looked
                  > at the HH but don't want to buy and find that I don't like this
                  > although it seems that this is the "cadillac" of hammocks. I have
                  also
                  > looked in campmor at their various offerings and it appears that I
                  > could give it a try in the $30-$50 range including the bug net.
                  Now my
                  > question what would you recommend to buy with the understanding
                  that if
                  > I do like it I won't have to go right out and buy another hammock
                  the
                  > following week. I already have a tarp shelter so I can use that
                  one if
                  > the weather is rainy. Thanks for the assistance.
                  >
                  > Rex

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
                    <REH1966_04@h...> wrote:

                    > I have visited these sites and believe that I will indeed make one
                    of
                    > the speer type hammocks. For the cost it seems to be just the ticket
                    > for an opportunity to try it out. Is this the type you use or have
                    > you done any major modifications to this design. Thanks.

                    I use a Hennessy and the homemade Speer-types listed here:
                    http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html

                    There are a few mods listed there - most of them are based on Risk's
                    designs...Warm Hammock, Two-Layer hammock, etc...nothing major, and
                    it's all really easy to make.

                    I just made a new one with an adjustable bottom layer...I think I can
                    put a sleeping bag in there for adjustable bottom insulation. I'll
                    post pics when I get a chance.
                  • Rosaleen Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
                      Rex-

                      JD is coming up to meet us at the Delaware Water Gap area from Washington, DC, but I imagine you would be another couple of hours (or more) away. Keep an eye out for where Ed is hosting a hammock camper's hangout. If you can wait for spring, you should be reasonably close to Trail Days in Damascus. Lots of ideas and products are shown there. Usually happens close to Mothers' Day in May.

                      Maybe Seashelly and I will hike around the Shenandoah's this spring. No decision made, yet, just ideas batted about.

                      Rosaleen

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 26, 2005
                        Rosaleen,

                        I will plan to attend Trail Days. I can be in Damascus in a little
                        over an hour. I haven't been the last couple of years so its about
                        time to go again.

                        Rex

                        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
                        <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:

                        > Rex-
                        >
                        > JD is coming up to meet us at the Delaware Water Gap area from
                        Washington, DC, but I imagine you would be another couple of hours
                        (or more) away. Keep an eye out for where Ed is hosting a hammock
                        camper's hangout. If you can wait for spring, you should be
                        reasonably close to Trail Days in Damascus. Lots of ideas and
                        products are shown there. Usually happens close to Mothers' Day in
                        May.

                        > Maybe Seashelly and I will hike around the Shenandoah's this
                        spring. No decision made, yet, just ideas batted about.

                        > Rosaleen
                        >

                        > From: "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...<mailto:REH1966_04@h...>>
                        > Subject: Re: Give it a try
                        >
                        > Rosaleen,
                        >
                        > I actually live in Southwest Virginia. From where I live I can be
                        in
                        > Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee or North Carolina all within an
                        > hour or so. It doesn't look like I am very convenient to you but I
                        > do appreciate the offer.
                        >
                        > Rex

                      • J.D. Hoessle
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2005
                          <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:
                          > Keep an eye out for where Ed is hosting a hammock camper's hangout.
                          > If you can wait for spring

                          And, if you cannot wait until Spring....!!!!!!!

                          Mr. Speer will be on top of Springer Mountain for NEW YEARS EVE....!

                          Hey, Rex...! Bring your "usual" gear and join us on Springer, OK?
                          If you haven't had the opportunity to see/feel/touch/smell any
                          hammocks by then, let me know and I will bring an extra set-up.

                          BTW, anyone else planning to be at Springer New Years Eve....?

                          Happy Trails,

                          J.D.