Cold weather hammocking

  • J.F. Hill
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 21, 2005
      I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with underpads, overpads,
      aroundpads, everything and talking about 55 degrees and such. What
      are you wearing on your bodies when you do this? Are you in your
      drawers or what? I tend to wear whatever I have with me and seem to
      get by with just my blue pad (in colder weather) and sleeping bag over
      me - course I stick my feet into the bottom of the bag - it only zips
      about 1/2 way. I made it to 13 degrees last year but as I said above,
      I had every stick of clothes I had in my pack on my body and after the
      temp passed about 15 I was wishing for more. Earlier this month I
      slept in my mid-weights, no pad, and sleeping bag and did fine at
      about 60 or maybe a little below. But I never read about anybody
      else's actual clothes when they sleep.

      thanks,
      john
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 21, 2005
        When it's cold, I sleep in all my clothes including a coat and
        BDUs. Pretty comfy in a hammock, not so good on the ground.

        So I guess I do what you say below - wear whatever I have with me,
        and use a pad, and a sleeping bag as a quilt. But I've only been
        down to 35 degrees.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill" <nil_dog@y...>
        wrote:

        > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with underpads,
        overpads,
        > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55 degrees and such.
        What
        > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this? Are you in your
        > drawers or what? I tend to wear whatever I have with me and seem
        > get by with just my blue pad (in colder weather) and sleeping bag
        over
        > me - course I stick my feet into the bottom of the bag - it only
        zips
        > about 1/2 way. I made it to 13 degrees last year but as I said
        above,
        > I had every stick of clothes I had in my pack on my body and after
        the
        > temp passed about 15 I was wishing for more. Earlier this month I
        > slept in my mid-weights, no pad, and sleeping bag and did fine at
        > about 60 or maybe a little below. But I never read about anybody
        > else's actual clothes when they sleep.
        >
        > thanks,
        > john

      • Steve Joiner
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 21, 2005
          Hi, John. I've been in my hammock into the teens 3 times, twice with
          significant wind. I've used pads all 3 times (target bluepad and
          full-length TR guidelight). At these temps I tend to sleep in everything I
          have with me, with a down jacket as my pillow / backup (in case "everything"
          isn't enough - it's a comfy pillow!). "Everything" is defined as silk
          bottom and top, mid-weight thermals on bottom and top, liner socks and
          fleece 'over socks' (usually with 'hand warmers' in the toes between), and a
          fleece balaclave for the head. I think I wore my Marmot Oracle pants over
          the bottoms once.... All this, along with my 22 oz homemade thru-hiker down
          quilt, has kept me cozy!

          I also find that about 60 is as low as I can go without some type of pad.

          I'm ready to go hiking! Taking a couple of guys from church to Shining Rock
          next weekend - has been about 6 months since I've been out!

          Steve

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 22, 2005
            I found my limit for the JRB set in Yellowstone earlier this month. I
            had to bring in a pad when it got below 30 F, and I was comfy all
            night after that (about 20-25 F).

            I wore my hiking shorts (swim trunks), cool-max t-shirt, thin
            polyester thermal top and bottom, rain pants, and a mid-layer jacket.
            I had a thin and a thick pair of socks on my feet.

            When I used the underquilt I wore the jacket. When I brought the pad
            in, I layed the jacket over me so it didn't soak up any moisture
            between me and the pad.

            More details and pics here if you're interested:
            http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/ColdWeatherTenLakes.html
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 22, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill" <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
              > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with underpads, overpads,
              > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55 degrees and such. What
              > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this? Are you in your
              > drawers or what?

              I wear light weight polypro tops & bottoms plus a polypro bacalava
              with med. weight Smart Wool sox.

              Worked for me last winter into the teens in Risk's ZHammock.

              Worked for me last week in my new Speer with SPE at 45 F.

              Used my zero sleeping bag as a quilt thrown loose over me last winter.
              Last week at 45 F, I used a thin light weight fleece blanket.

              Warmer temps this past summer, no pads... Just whatever I happened to
              have on...

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • john hill
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 28, 2005
                thanks to all that replied. i've slept in my mid-weights, pants, sweater, watch cap, nylon pullover jacket, liner socks, hiking socks, blue pad, 30 degree sleeping bag and have done ok with the lower temps. i'm for not carrying any more than i have to since i don't want the weight. expecting mid 30's tomorrow night and i'm planning on hanging up in the back yard and we'll see how that goes.

                john

                "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill" <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with underpads, overpads,
                > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55 degrees and such. What
                > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this? Are you in your
                > drawers or what?

                I wear light weight polypro tops & bottoms plus a polypro bacalava
                with med. weight Smart Wool sox.

                Worked for me last winter into the teens in Risk's ZHammock.

                Worked for me last week in my new Speer with SPE at 45 F.

                Used my zero sleeping bag as a quilt thrown loose over me last winter.
                Last week at 45 F, I used a thin light weight fleece blanket.

                Warmer temps this past summer, no pads... Just whatever I happened to
                have on...

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.

                Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors Great outdoors

              • Chuck Henderson
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
                  clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
                  the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
                  this makes for a very very cold night, some of my
                  scout troop didn't listen to this advice last winter
                  and absolutely froze!

                  --- john hill <nil_dog@...> wrote:

                  > thanks to all that replied. i've slept in my
                  > mid-weights, pants, sweater, watch cap, nylon
                  > pullover jacket, liner socks, hiking socks, blue
                  > pad, 30 degree sleeping bag and have done ok with
                  > the lower temps. i'm for not carrying any more than
                  > i have to since i don't want the weight. expecting
                  > mid 30's tomorrow night and i'm planning on hanging
                  > up in the back yard and we'll see how that goes.
                  >
                  > john
                  >
                  > "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill"
                  > <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                  > > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with
                  > underpads, overpads,
                  > > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55
                  > degrees and such. What
                  > > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this?
                  > Are you in your
                  > > drawers or what?
                  >
                  > I wear light weight polypro tops & bottoms plus a
                  > polypro bacalava
                  > with med. weight Smart Wool sox.
                  >
                  > Worked for me last winter into the teens in Risk's
                  > ZHammock.
                  >
                  > Worked for me last week in my new Speer with SPE at
                  > 45 F.
                  >
                  > Used my zero sleeping bag as a quilt thrown loose
                  > over me last winter.
                  > Last week at 45 F, I used a thin light weight fleece
                  > blanket.
                  >
                  > Warmer temps this past summer, no pads... Just
                  > whatever I happened to
                  > have on...
                  >
                  > Happy Trails,
                  >
                  > J.D.

                  > Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors Happy
                  > camper Outdoors Great outdoors

                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------

                  > removed]

                  Chuck
                  counterculture in a conformist environment
                  I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • john hill
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                    I do - but that's a good thing to remind folks of.

                    Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
                      clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
                      the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
                      this makes for a very very cold night.

                      chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
                      .
                      > .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      ..
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      ..
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      >.

                      .

                      .
                      .

                      .

                      .
                      .
                      .

                      .

                      .
                      .

                      .

                      .
                      .

                      tim garner

                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
                        >chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to
                        >discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to
                        >actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold.

                        Agreed!

                        >what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of
                        >others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer
                        >on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of
                        >clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet
                        >conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing.

                        Altho' I have never thought-it-thru, I guess that the above is true.
                        I wear polypro long underwear and it seems to be dry by the time I
                        crawl in for the night. Body odor has NEVER bothered me and I think
                        it keeps bugs and annoying nearby campers far away...<g>...

                        >the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked
                        >great.

                        I have been out there many times sub-zero and no problems crawling in
                        with whatever I have been wearing all day. "Worse" conditions; e.g.,
                        rain becoming sleet becoming freezing rain, I have sometimes switched
                        to another set of polypro or silk long underwear only because I was
                        soaked-thru setting up for the night.

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                      • Chuck Henderson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                          as I tell my scouts " suck it up" short term pain for
                          long term gain etc.... the quick dry stuff has very
                          little insulation value.

                          Do it the way I do :

                          crawl into sleeping bag wearing sock( fresh ones) long
                          undies, bring into the bag with you a fresh pair of
                          long undies and change in the bag, this is a source of
                          great hilarity among my troop as they bash and thrash
                          around in a sleeping bag, but it actually serve a
                          couple of purposes:

                          1 they are wearing clean dry long undies
                          2 they have fluffed up the sleeping bag
                          3 they have generated a little bit of heat

                          another trick I learned from my stint in the reserve
                          infantry is to put tomorrows panst and shirt into the
                          bag with you that way they are nice and warm come the
                          morning

                          Any fool can be uncomfortable!

                        • wfunk@adelphia.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                            Changing down to skin is especially difficult if you are not in shelter and everything is cold and wet. I just finished two weeks from Neels Gap to Newfound Gap and I needed everything I had to stay warm. I would dry out during the night. I didn't stay in a shelter until I has to in the Park. The shelters were not as bad but nothing dried out at night if I didn wear it. I did try to take off my UnderArmor undershorts because they are so restrictive when trying to sleep but great for hiking-no between legs abrasion.

                            Wayne

                            ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

                            > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
                            > clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
                            > the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
                            > this makes for a very very cold night.

                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                              I usually nest one sleeping bag inside another. Anything I want to dry
                              or keep from freezing goes into the space between the two bags.

                              Ralph
                            • Dick Matthews
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                                tim garner wrote:

                                > chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
                                >.

                                Tim,

                                I have slept in my hiking clothes many times. I try to avoid it because
                                it is not the lifestyle I seek on hikes.

                                The Scots used their kilts (the whole nine yards) as attire and a
                                sleeping system.

                                During armed forces special forces training it is normal to sleep wet
                                and warm in a poncho burrito.

                                The reason I change into and sleep in clean dry long underwear is based
                                on lifestyle preferences. I do not want to wash by sleeping bag very
                                often. I want to clean my self up everyday, even if it is only wet
                                wipes. Multiple layers makes the clean up process more complicated. On
                                those occasion when I have had to use my long underwear as a part of my
                                hiking clothes I am much more anxious because I know I have already used
                                my safety margin.

                                I own a number of tents and tarps, but my preferred shelter is a hammock
                                for lifestyle/comfort reasons.

                                I own a white gas and gas canister stoves, but prefer an alcohol stove
                                for lifestyle reasons.

                                Tim, you are gonna die if you keep sleeping in your hiking clothes
                                <grin>. It won't be sleeping in your hiking clothes that killed you,
                                but wearing the same clothes 24/7 does not make your life better.

                                Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this morning.
                                Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for life
                                the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

                                For multi-nights below freezing I highly recommend getting some
                                experience using vapor barriers.

                                Dick Matthews
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                                  Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:as I tell my scouts " suck it up" short term pain for
                                  long term gain etc.... the quick dry stuff has very
                                  little insulation value.

                                  Do it the way I do :

                                  ......Any fool can be uncomfortable!

                                  . chuck... that`s awfully strong language you put w/ your opinion my friend. one thing i`ve learned about backpacking is...there`s more than one way to do things. differant methods have there pros & cons, thier advantages & disadvantages. the quick dry stuff does what it`s supposed to very well (some fabrics better than others mabey). it`s not supposed to be of great insulative value, but part of a clothing system that can be worn (& dryed) through a wide range of weather conditions. i understand the advantages of putting on a dry layer at night, but i also know the discomforts of changing at night & changing back into damp clothing in the morning (even if i did sleep w/ it in my bag to keep it warm). i also know that if i do certain things in the evening hours, my clothing almost always feels dry by the time i climb into my bag at night. any moisture left is soon so warm it`s completely unnoticable. and by morning the base layer & any other clothing i sleep in is completly dry.
                                  that`s the way i like to do it & there`s little, if any discomfort. i would like to learn more about how others deal w/ moist clothing in differant situations. it`s my understanding that some long term hikers do carry an extra set of clothes for sleep only, & keep them dry at all cost, while others wouldn`t think of carrying an extra set of cloting just for that purpose. i recently read on the "backpackinglight.com" form, ryan jordan talked about digging a snow cave or trench & climbing into his bag soaking wet from sweat & contact w/ the snow. he said he had no problem w/ doing this w/ the right clothing/sleeping system. so anyway, i`d like to learn more about what works in real life for others. thanks...slowhike

                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .

                                  .
                                  .
                                  ..
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  ..
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  ..
                                  .

                                  .
                                  . .

                                  .

                                  .

                                  tim garner

                                • jwj32542
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
                                    > Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this
                                    morning.
                                    > Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for
                                    life
                                    > the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

                                    Nah - not much to see at those temps...
                                  • Chuck Henderson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                                      ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
                                      I change into at night are the very same clothes we
                                      will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
                                      this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
                                      Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
                                      were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
                                      hung out overnight and dried that way.

                                      I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
                                      forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
                                      fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
                                      this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
                                      night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
                                      got much better

                                      --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > .
                                      > .
                                      > .
                                      > .
                                      > .
                                      > ..
                                      > .
                                      >

                                      > .
                                      > . .
                                      >

                                      > .
                                      >
                                      > .

                                      > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
                                      > Happy camper Outdoors

                                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                                      >

                                      > ---------------------------------
                                      >

                                      > tim garner

                                      > removed]

                                      Chuck
                                      counterculture in a conformist environment
                                      I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

                                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                    • Dick Matthews
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                                        Chuck Henderson wrote:

                                        >ah but I forgot to tell you that the clothes they and
                                        >I change into at night are the very same clothes we
                                        >will wear the next day. Now let me also tell you that
                                        >this is winter and late fall camping in Northern
                                        >Ontario , last winter it dropped to -30 celcius and we
                                        >were very comfy in our dry clothes. the wet stuff got
                                        >hung out overnight and dried that way.
                                        >
                                        >I have used the polypro long undies ( Canadian Armed
                                        >forces issue) and didn't change thinking I would be
                                        >fine..... lesson learned it dropped to below zero (
                                        >this was early spring) and I was shivvering into the
                                        >night until i " sucked it up" and changed, then life
                                        >got much better

                                        Chuck,

                                        I never carry more than one set of hiking clothes so I can't change into
                                        what I am going to wear tomorrow without wearing the same clothes I wore
                                        today. Except for socks and underwear I can wear all the clothes I
                                        carry as a part of a layering system.

                                        At -30C (-22F) I would be using vapor barrier clothing. VB makes
                                        layering critical, but clothes do not get wet from the inside. Those
                                        are really great times when you get up in the morning and shake the ice
                                        crystals out of your wool garments. We may be off topic because I would
                                        not be using a hammock in these conditions. In the winter I do carry an
                                        extra pair of long underwear.

                                        Tim,

                                        Generally, the times that I sleep in my hiking clothes are the same
                                        times I don't brush my teeth before bed. Hiking and sleeping in the
                                        same clothes makes me prone to monkey butt. YMMV

                                        Sleeping wet and warm is just another variation of VB technique.
                                        However, the morning "flash" is very uncomfortable if you are wearing
                                        your hiking clothes. YMMV.

                                        Jeff,

                                        Not much to see at any temperature. Contrary to popular opinion, I do
                                        NOT have chronic monkey butt - I just walk funny<grin>.

                                        Dick Matthews