Re: insulation/was Re: more hammocking at BPL

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2005
      This seems to be a much-copied thread, but I THINK I'm responding to Slowhike's comment/question.

      If you are looking for a reasonably cheap source of synthetic hammock bottom insulation, consider watching for a 50% off sale at JoAnn Fabrics. Sometimes I see 40-50% off all quilting supplies, other times I receive a coupon for 50% off a single item. Sign up for their mailing list to get the sale info. I wasn't too excited about the quilting supplies until they began carrying Thinsulate....Cool!

      Rosaleen

      From: tim garner <slowhike@...<mailto:slowhike@...>>
      Subject: Re: more hammocking at BPL

      Rick <ra1@...<mailto:ra1@...>> wrote:

      Well that is interesting. I do believe it is the lightest way to get
      effective inch-thick insulation.

      Risk

      rick... i`m planing to add 2 or 3" of insulation permanantly to a home made winter hammock, but i haven`t heard any response to a question i asked earlyer; if a tree falls in the forest when there`s no-one... oh...no, that`s not it! do yall think it would be money better spent to order some type of insulation(delta or something) rather than use the cheap stuff from walmart? i suspect i would end up w/ a better weight to warmth ratio, but i wonder how MUCH differance there would be. thanks...slowhike

    • sdbrehm
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2005
        <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:

        > This seems to be a much-copied thread, but I THINK I'm responding to
        Slowhike's comment/question.

        > If you are looking for a reasonably cheap source of synthetic
        hammock bottom insulation, consider watching for a 50% off sale at
        JoAnn Fabrics. Sometimes I see 40-50% off all quilting supplies,
        other times I receive a coupon for 50% off a single item. Sign up for
        their mailing list to get the sale info. I wasn't too excited about
        the quilting supplies until they began carrying Thinsulate....Cool!

        > Rosaleen

        I searched JoAnn's website and finally called them. The woman I talked
        to said they no longer carry thinsulate, but could try to find some
        still in stock at a store. The odd thing is she was searching for it
        based on it being precut as batting for various size quilts, i.e.
        twin, queen, full, crib. Where did you find them now carrying it? A
        search in their system for Primaloft and Polarguard also came up blank.

        Scott
      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 24, 2005
          Scott-

          JoAnn only started carrying Thinsulate late last winter or early last spring. I saw it in a sale flyer and had a 40 or 50% off coupon, so I picked some up. That was in the Shrewsbury, MA, store.

          I wonder why they discontinued it so quickly?

          Rosaleen

          Subject: insulation/was Re: more hammocking at BPL

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>, "Rosaleen Sullivan"