The Smokies

  • Marta Clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2005
      FWIW, I went through all the rigamarole to make
      reservations for a week-long hike in the Smokies last
      November (not over the Thanksgiving holiday). I
      dutifully followed my itinerary even though it was
      obvious by the first afternoon that I had not planned
      enough milage in my days.

      Observations:
      1) I never saw a single Ranger in the entire week and
      never had my backcountry permit checked.

      2) Two nights out of six I was the only one in my
      shelter.

      3) Of the people I shared shelters with, NONE of them
      had reservations for those shelters for those nights.
      Four were SOBOs; two were local guys who often make
      overnight hikes without reservations; two others were
      guys who had set up a very ambitious itinerary which
      they weren't able to fulfill and were therefore
      improvising and staying wherever they wanted to.

      So, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about a midweek
      winter hike. Sure, call and make the reservations but
      probably you will have the place practically to
      yourself with no oversight from the Rangers.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2005
        yep the time of year makes all the differance. In mid october year befor last I did a section
        from cosby to newfound gap. the shelters were full every night and we got checked at the
        last stop. i think this was partly due to how close to the road the icewater spring shelter is
        as well. the other 2 nights we were well away from easy road acess.

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
          Marta,

          Yep, that would be my guess in the winter, unless the adverse publicity
          of last winter puts a burr under their saddle to get out in the winter more.

          On my section hikes, I saw two pig hunters, one of which was in ranger
          uniform in late May. In August, for the north part of the hike, I spent
          a half hour with Glenn Reynolds, an ATC Ridgerunner who did ask me for
          my permit. (When I began to dig it out of my pack, he said he was
          satisfied.)

          Rick

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
            I don't have much experience on the AT in the Smokies when section
            hiking and my experience is you don't know exactly what the shelter
            situation is going to be. I believe they can fine you if you don't
            have reservations and the rangers told me there was no need for me to
            bring a tent or hammock since me (and everyone else) had to have
            reservations and could NOT sleep anywhere except the shelters. That
            simply wasn't true. There were folks with reservations that didn't
            have space in the shelter because other folks were already there that
            didn't have reservations and there was no one around to enforce the
            reservations.

            I would make reservations but also carry a shelter. Reservations are
            easy enough to make, just call ahead no more than a month(?) before
            your trip.

            Youngblood

            > Marta,
            >
            > Yep, that would be my guess in the winter, unless the adverse
            publicity
            > of last winter puts a burr under their saddle to get out in the
            winter more.

            > On my section hikes, I saw two pig hunters, one of which was in
            ranger
            > uniform in late May. In August, for the north part of the hike, I
            spent
            > a half hour with Glenn Reynolds, an ATC Ridgerunner who did ask me
            for
            > my permit. (When I began to dig it out of my pack, he said he was
            > satisfied.)
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > Marta Clark wrote:
            >
            > > FWIW, I went through all the rigamarole to make
            > > reservations for a week-long hike in the Smokies last
            > > November (not over the Thanksgiving holiday). I
            > > dutifully followed my itinerary even though it was
            > > obvious by the first afternoon that I had not planned
            > > enough milage in my days.
            > >
            > > Observations:
            > > 1) I never saw a single Ranger in the entire week and
            > > never had my backcountry permit checked.
            > >
            > > 2) Two nights out of six I was the only one in my
            > > shelter.
            > >
            > > 3) Of the people I shared shelters with, NONE of them
            > > had reservations for those shelters for those nights.
            > > Four were SOBOs; two were local guys who often make
            > > overnight hikes without reservations; two others were
            > > guys who had set up a very ambitious itinerary which
            > > they weren't able to fulfill and were therefore
            > > improvising and staying wherever they wanted to.
            > >
            > > So, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about a midweek
            > > winter hike. Sure, call and make the reservations but
            > > probably you will have the place practically to
            > > yourself with no oversight from the Rangers.

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
              It seems we may all have different experiences in the Smokies.

              Seashelly and I hiked the AT through the Smokies last August. We had about a week to complete the hike, as she had to get back to work. When I called the park in mid-July, we had to revise our plans because some of the shelters that we wanted to use were fully booked. Rearranging our plans, we stayed in full or nearly full shelters each night. No one asked us for our permit, although we did cross paths with some teens who were stopped by a ranger at Newfound Gap. They didn't have a permit, but as they were not yet on the trail, the ranger kindly assisted them in obtaining one. (Didn't they luck out!) We shared a shelter with two Park Service researchers one night. The subject of permits never came up. We had a couple of 13 mile days in our trek, just to get to shelters that were available. I think 8 miles probably is about all I'm comfortable taking on in rough terrain at about a mile up. Living at sea level and piloting a desk (more or less) all winter does not prepare a middle aged body for backpacking the Smokies.

              BTW-We did have a newly made problem bear our last night on the southern half of the park. Siler's Bald shelter, maybe? I was glad for the chain link fence THAT night...

              Rosaleen