Re: First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 20 6:36 PM
      > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

      The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip (FASHHT) is now
      history--hope everyone made it home safe. It was a great weekend
      with mild cloudy and warm weather. Seven hammock hangers from AL, KY
      & NC converged Sat morning and began the hike. We quickly passed
      King's Creek Falls, where a spectacular rain-swollen creek cascaded
      over a verticle rock face and a sudden break in the clouds provided
      probably the best sunny Kodak moment of the entire trip. Hiking on,
      we passed blooming Trillium, Wild Iris, and Dogwood as we made our
      way to the Chattooga River. We set up camp a bit short of our
      originally planned distance due to Karen's mildly-twisted ankle--a
      victum of rain-soaked tree roots! Everyone pitched in and soon our
      unscheduled campsite became a cozy riverside home with hammocks
      everywhere! Karen recovered over night and hiked out Sun am on her
      own (she thanks Coy for the pack assist).

      With our hammokcs, we were able to use this tiny established
      campsite, although there was level space for only one tent--the
      hammocks literally saved the day for us! In addition, we were
      satisfied our hammocks did no undue harm to the site.

      The shelters consisted of five Speer Hammocks (including a home-made
      one), one Hennessey, and one Crazy Creek--the uniqueness and color
      variety of our camp certainly created a carnival atmosphere! Everyone
      got the chance to show off their specific gear and we learned from
      each other. For two hammockers, this was their first night off the
      ground. For us old pros, it was a chance to strut our stuff and teach
      others the better way.

      The relaxed afternoon soon gave way to universal power naps and by
      dinner time we gathered around a small camp fire in the midst of the
      hammocks. Conversations continued well into the night.

      With everyone well rested and Karen boasting "better than any night
      I've ever spent on the ground", we packed up and left after breakfast
      on Easter Sunday, making it back to the cars by late morning. With
      promisses to 'do it again', we parted and began our journeys home.

      Some photos of the trip will soon be posted on this site. Thanks to
      everyone who made the trip--I enjoyed meeting new friends and
      renewing old friendships. Let's hope this is the begining of a new
      tradition. Everyone who missed this trip should definately plan to
      make the next one! ...Ed