Full Moon Names 2005

  • Bill Martin
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
      January 25, 5:32 a.m. EST -- The Full Wolf Moon. Amid the zero cold
      and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside
      Indian villages. It was also known as the Old Moon or the Moon After
      Yule. In some tribes this was the Full Snow Moon; most applied that
      name to the next moon.

      February 23, 11:54 p.m. EST -- The Full Snow Moon. Usually the
      heaviest snows fall in this month. Hunting becomes very difficult,
      and hence to some tribes this was the Full Hunger Moon.

      March 25, 3:58 p.m. EST -- The Full Worm Moon. In this month the
      ground softens and the earthworm casts reappear, inviting the return
      of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this as the Full Crow
      Moon, when the cawing of crows signals the end of winter, or the Full
      Crust Moon because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day
      and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping
      maple trees, is another variation. This is also the Paschal Full
      Moon; the first full Moon of the spring season. The first Sunday
      following the Paschal Moon is Easter Sunday, which indeed will be
      observed two days later on Sunday, March 27.

      April 24, 6:06 a.m. EDT -- The Full Pink Moon. The grass pink or wild
      ground phlox is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring.
      Other names were the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and --
      among coastal tribes -- the Full Fish Moon, when the shad came
      upstream to spawn.

      May 23, 4:18 p.m. EDT -- The Full Flower Moon. Flowers are abundant
      everywhere. It was also known as the Full Corn Planting Moon or the
      Milk Moon.

      June 22, 12:14 a.m. EDT -- The Full Strawberry Moon. Known to every
      Algonquin tribe. Europeans called it the Rose Moon.

      July 21, 7:00 a.m. EDT -- The Full Buck Moon, when the new antlers of
      buck deer push out from their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur.
      It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, thunderstorms being
      now most frequent. Sometimes also called the Full Hay Moon. The Moon
      will also be at perigee later this day, at 4:00 p.m., at a distance
      of 221,928 mi./357,158 km miles from Earth. Very high ocean tides can
      be expected from the coincidence of perigee with full Moon.

      August 19, 1:53 p.m. EDT -- The Full Sturgeon Moon, when this large
      fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water like Lake
      Champlain is most readily caught. A few tribes knew it as the Full
      Red Moon because the moon rises looking reddish through sultry haze,
      or the Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon.

      September 17, 10:01 p.m. EDT -- The Full Harvest Moon. Traditionally,
      this designation goes to the Full Moon that occurs closest to the
      Autumnal (Fall) Equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon
      comes in September, but every third year it occurs in October. At the
      peak of the harvest, farmers can work into the night by the light of
      this moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later
      each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon
      seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30
      minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for
      much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild
      rice -- the chief Indian staples -- are now ready for gathering.

      October 17, 8:14 a.m. EDT -- The Full Hunter’s Moon. With the leaves
      falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields
      have been reaped, hunters can ride over the stubble, and can more
      easily see the fox, also other animals, which have come out to glean
      and can be caught for a thanksgiving banquet after the harvest. A
      very minor (6.8% coverage) partial eclipse of the Moon will take
      place between 7:34 and 8:32 a.m. EDT and will be visible from western
      and central sections of North America.

      November 15, 7:58 p.m. EST -- The Full Beaver Moon. Time to set
      beaver traps before the swamps freeze to ensure a supply of warm
      winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Beaver
      Full Moon come from the fact that the beavers are now active in their
      preparation for winter. Also called the Frosty Moon.

      December 15, 11:15 a.m. EST -- The Full Cold Moon; among some tribes,
      the Full Long Nights Moon. In this month the winter cold fastens its
      grip, and the nights are at their longest and darkest. Also sometimes
      called the Moon before Yule (Yule is Christmas, and this time the
      Moon is only just before it). The term Long Night Moon is a doubly
      appropriate name because the midwinter night is indeed long and the
      Moon is above the horizon a long time. The midwinter full Moon takes
      a high trajectory across the sky because it is opposite to the low Sun.

      "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
      for you are crunchy and taste good with sauce."
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...> wrote:
        > July 21, 7:00 a.m. EDT -- The Full Buck Moon, when the new antlers of
        > buck deer push out from their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur.
        > It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, thunderstorms being
        > now most frequent. Sometimes also called the Full Hay Moon. The Moon
        > will also be at perigee later this day, at 4:00 p.m., at a distance
        > of 221,928 mi./357,158 km miles from Earth.

        Just checked with my plumb-bob, sexton, compass, and boiling pot of
        newts. I think that's 357,158.21789 km....<g>...

        W-O-W....! Impressive bunch of moon info - THANKS!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Bill Martin
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
          They rounded down.

          Bill

          On Oct 18, 2005, at 2:07 PM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...>
          > wrote:
          > > July 21, 7:00 a.m. EDT -- The Full Buck Moon, when the new
          > antlers of
          > > buck deer push out from their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur.
          > > It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, thunderstorms being
          > > now most frequent. Sometimes also called the Full Hay Moon. The Moon
          > > will also be at perigee later this day, at 4:00 p.m., at a distance
          > > of 221,928 mi./357,158 km miles from Earth.
          >
          > Just checked with my plumb-bob, sexton, compass, and boiling pot of
          > newts. I think that's 357,158.21789 km....<g>...
          >
          > W-O-W....! Impressive bunch of moon info - THANKS!
          >
          > Happy Trails,
          >
          > J.D.

          > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping
          > Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          "Since any reasonable person would choose a Mac over a PC, Apple's
          market share does provide us with an accurate reading of the
          percentage of reasonable people in our society." - Roger Ebert.
        • Matthew Takeda
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2005
            Bill Martin wrote:
            >Full Moon Names 2005

            Depends on your tradition. Some alternate names:

            January Moon After Yule, Wolf Moon, or Old Moon
            February Snow Moon or Hunger Moon
            March Sap Moon, Crow Moon, or Lenten Moon
            April Grass Moon or Egg Moon
            May Milk Moon or Planting Moon
            June Rose Moon, Flower Moon, or Strawberry Moon
            July Thunder Moon or Hay Moon
            August Grain Moon or Green Corn Moon
            September Fruit Moon or Harvest Moon
            October Harvest Moon or Hunter's Moon
            November Hunter's Moon, Frosty Moon, or Beaver Moon
            December Moon Before Yule or Long Night Moon

            Matthew Takeda
            the JOAT
          • Bill Martin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 19, 2005
              Of course.... your last name indicates a Japanese cultural
              tradition.... do you have similar names for the monthly or seasonal
              full moons?

              Rather than post all the names Hawaiians give to the phases of the
              moon.... this is a beautiful website, which names, describes and
              illustrates the Hawaiian method of "moon naming".

              http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Weather.moon

              Bill

              On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:56 AM, Matthew Takeda wrote:

              > Bill Martin wrote:
              > >Full Moon Names 2005
              >
              > Depends on your tradition. Some alternate names:
              >
              > January Moon After Yule, Wolf Moon, or Old Moon
              > February Snow Moon or Hunger Moon
              > March Sap Moon, Crow Moon, or Lenten Moon
              > April Grass Moon or Egg Moon
              > May Milk Moon or Planting Moon
              > June Rose Moon, Flower Moon, or Strawberry Moon
              > July Thunder Moon or Hay Moon
              > August Grain Moon or Green Corn Moon
              > September Fruit Moon or Harvest Moon
              > October Harvest Moon or Hunter's Moon
              > November Hunter's Moon, Frosty Moon, or Beaver Moon
              > December Moon Before Yule or Long Night Moon
              >

              > Matthew Takeda
              > the JOAT

              From the fertile slopes of Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 20, 2005
                It really was fun deciding which names I would call a moon by. I used a
                combination of several NA sources and some of my own.

                Snow Moon is during December - usually the first snow of the winter
                begins this moon. It is the moon with the shortest days.

                Cold Moon is during January - The coldest nights of the year

                Bony Moon is during February - a reminder to be thankful for the many
                provisions we now have that last through the winter.

                Windy Moon is during March - with the blustery weather of early spring.

                Grass Moon is during April - when the grass turns green and life comes
                back into the ground

                Planting Moon is during May - when it is safe to plant vegetables;

                Long Day Moon - June, when the days are long and are first really warm

                Corn Moon - during July when wonderful sweet corn and tomatoes are
                available for the first time of the summer

                Fruit Moon is during August when apples fall from the trees

                Harvest Moon is during September when the full harvest comes in to be
                stored for the winter

                Hunter's Moon - October - traditionally the month for hunting and saving
                meat for the winter

                Frost Moon is during November - with frost almost every night, but very
                little snow

                I have also enjoyed living by the moon and using the moon as a dating
                mechanism for hikes over the last year. In this sense, a blue moon is
                necessary for the second definition Matthew proposed. Since there are
                13 Lunar months of the year, an additional moon needs to be added
                somewhere.

                Rick

                Matthew Takeda wrote:

                > Bill Martin wrote:
                > >Full Moon Names 2005
                >
                > Depends on your tradition. Some alternate names:
                >
                > January Moon After Yule, Wolf Moon, or Old Moon
                > February Snow Moon or Hunger Moon
                > March Sap Moon, Crow Moon, or Lenten Moon
                > April Grass Moon or Egg Moon
                > May Milk Moon or Planting Moon
                > June Rose Moon, Flower Moon, or Strawberry Moon
                > July Thunder Moon or Hay Moon
                > August Grain Moon or Green Corn Moon
                > September Fruit Moon or Harvest Moon
                > October Harvest Moon or Hunter's Moon
                > November Hunter's Moon, Frosty Moon, or Beaver Moon
                > December Moon Before Yule or Long Night Moon
                >

                > Matthew Takeda
                > the JOAT

              • Matthew Takeda
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 21, 2005
                  Bill Martin wrote:
                  >Of course.... your last name indicates a Japanese cultural
                  >tradition....

                  Determining a person't cultural tradition by inspecting his surname
                  in this day and age is not unlike determining the cuisine in a
                  restaurant by inspecting the make of the tires on a car parked in
                  front of the restaurant.

                  >do you have similar names for the monthly or seasonal
                  >full moons?

                  Here in California, we mostly use the same names as they do in Maine
                  (Farmer's Almanac).

                  Matthew Takeda
                  the JOAT
                • Matthew Takeda
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 21, 2005
                    BTW, nothing to do with full moon names, but the only Japanese moon
                    lore I know is that the figure we refer to as the Man in the Moon is
                    a rabbit in Japanese folklore. The rabbit is standing and making rice
                    cakes (mochi) by pounding glutinous rice in a large mortar with a long pole.

                    Matthew Takeda
                    the JOAT
                  • Bill Martin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 21, 2005
                      On Oct 20, 2005, at 9:43 PM, Matthew Takeda wrote:

                      > Bill Martin wrote:
                      > >Of course.... your last name indicates a Japanese cultural
                      > >tradition....
                      >
                      > Determining a person't cultural tradition by inspecting his surname
                      > in this day and age is not unlike determining the cuisine in a
                      > restaurant by inspecting the make of the tires on a car parked in
                      > front of the restaurant.

                      I live in an extremely diverse cultural area......even more so than
                      California....

                      Sorry I jumped to conclusions. You could easily be mostly Hispanic,
                      African-American, even Choctaw.... but, somewhere, in recent
                      history, you have close cultural ties with a Japanese heritage. Be
                      a shame if you lost that.

                      <GRIN>

                      Bill

                      "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
                      for you are crunchy and taste good with sauce."
                    • Marc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
                        wrote:

                        > January 25, 5:32 a.m. EST -- The Full Wolf Moon. Amid the zero cold

                        I am Wiccan, eclectic tradition. The names are different depending on
                        which tradition you follow. The Celts, American Indians, etc all had
                        different names for these moons.

                        Being Wiccan and celebrating each full moon I am constantly aware of
                        the moon phase. BTW the moon is currently 19 days and 13 hours old.

                        Lone Wolf
                      • Bill Martin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
                          On Oct 22, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Marc wrote:

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > January 25, 5:32 a.m. EST -- The Full Wolf Moon. Amid the zero cold
                          >
                          > I am Wiccan, eclectic tradition. The names are different depending on
                          > which tradition you follow. The Celts, American Indians, etc all had
                          > different names for these moons.
                          >
                          > Being Wiccan and celebrating each full moon I am constantly aware of
                          > the moon phase. BTW the moon is currently 19 days and 13 hours old.

                          That's strange. I coulda swore I saw it last month.... and a couple
                          years ago. Astronomers say its actually a couple billion years old.

                          Hmmm.

                          Bill

                          > Lone Wolf

                          > Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors
                          > Happy camper Outdoors Great outdoors
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac...
                          Lying awake at night, wondering if there is a Dog.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 23, 2005
                            marc... would you be the lonewolf who took part in the lynne whelden "secrets revealed" tape? also, what is wiccan, eclectic tradition? thanks...slowhike

                            Marc <lonewolf_34668@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...>
                            wrote:

                            > January 25, 5:32 a.m. EST -- The Full Wolf Moon. Amid the zero cold

                            I am Wiccan, eclectic tradition. The names are different depending on
                            which tradition you follow. The Celts, American Indians, etc all had
                            different names for these moons.

                            Being Wiccan and celebrating each full moon I am constantly aware of
                            the moon phase. BTW the moon is currently 19 days and 13 hours old.

                            Lone Wolf

                            Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors Great outdoors

                            tim garner