Forgot my manners again

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 17, 2005
      Hopefully I said "Thanks" to everyone who has responded.

      Nice group here and everyone always offers advice and thoughts
      whenever I post. Much appreciated!

      Great moon out there tonight!

      Harvest Moon was Sept. 15th - wonder what this one is called....?

      The Wolf Moon, the Snow Moon, the Worm Moon, the Pink Moon, the Flower
      Moon, the Strawberry Moon, the Buck Moon, the Sturgeon Moon, the
      Hunter's Moon, the Beaver Moon, the Cold Moon....?

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Bill Martin
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 17, 2005
        On Oct 17, 2005, at 3:35 PM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

        > Hopefully I said "Thanks" to everyone who has responded.
        >
        > Nice group here and everyone always offers advice and thoughts
        > whenever I post. Much appreciated!
        >
        > Great moon out there tonight!
        >
        > Harvest Moon was Sept. 15th - wonder what this one is called....?

        Hunters Moon, because the fields are cleared, and provide no cover
        for game.

        Bill

        > The Wolf Moon, the Snow Moon, the Worm Moon, the Pink Moon, the Flower
        > Moon, the Strawberry Moon, the Buck Moon, the Sturgeon Moon, the
        > Hunter's Moon, the Beaver Moon, the Cold Moon....?
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        >
        > J.D.

        > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping
        > Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
        Wernher von Braun
        (1912-1977) German-USA engineer. He pioneered all aspects of rocketry
        and space exploration, first in Germany and, after World War II, in the
        U.S.
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
          J.D. Hoessle wrote:

          > Great moon out there tonight!
          >
          > Harvest Moon was Sept. 15th - wonder what this one is called....?

          Every tribe and people have their own names for the moon. Like Bill
          responded, this is often called Hunter's Moon. I have an Almanac which
          calls it Second-Spring Moon because of the new growth in a number of
          plants, including occasional dandelions.

          I also call it Hunter's Moon because the deer are in rut and are pushed
          out of their summer hiding places. Deer hunting with a bow is allowed
          here for the first time since January.

          BTW, though it was the full moon yesterday, the Hunter's moon began two
          weeks ago and will continue until it wanes and becomes the Frost Moon on
          November first.
          For my names of other moons:

          http://www.imrisk.com/moons.htm

        • Arron Robinson
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
            New moon to new moon...

            --
            ------
            Arron Robinson --- mouserar@... --- aim:mouserar

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
              > Every tribe and people have their own names for the moon. Like Bill
              > responded, this is often called Hunter's Moon. I have an Almanac which
              > calls it Second-Spring Moon because of the new growth in a number of
              > plants, including occasional dandelions.

              ***THAT*** is very interesting (Second-Spring)...! Thanks, Rick.

              Grew up on a farm in Northern Ohio and understand that name!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Bill Martin
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                OK, folks, here's another little bit of campfire trivia:
                WITHOUT going to your almanac, encyclopedia or the internet; in ten
                seconds or less:

                What is a Blue Moon?

                tick tock tick tock.....

                Bill

                On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:23 PM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                > > Every tribe and people have their own names for the moon. Like Bill
                > > responded, this is often called Hunter's Moon. I have an Almanac
                > which
                > > calls it Second-Spring Moon because of the new growth in a number of
                > > plants, including occasional dandelions.
                >
                > ***THAT*** is very interesting (Second-Spring)...! Thanks, Rick.
                >
                > Grew up on a farm in Northern Ohio and understand that name!
                >
                > Happy Trails,
                >
                > J.D.
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                I have all my money tied up in non-negotiable debts so no one can
                take it
                away from me.
              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...> wrote:
                  > OK, folks, here's another little bit of campfire trivia:
                  > WITHOUT going to your almanac, encyclopedia or the internet; in ten
                  > seconds or less:
                  >
                  > What is a Blue Moon?

                  When my cold butt hangs out of the SPE....?

                  BUT....! Only ONCE IN A....<g>....

                  J.D.
                • Arron Robinson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                    the second full moon during any given month

                    _____

                    OK, folks, here's another little bit of campfire trivia:
                    WITHOUT going to your almanac, encyclopedia or the internet; in ten
                    seconds or less:

                    What is a Blue Moon?

                    tick tock tick tock.....

                    Bill

                    On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:23 PM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                    > > Every tribe and people have their own names for the moon. Like Bill
                    > > responded, this is often called Hunter's Moon. I have an Almanac
                    > which
                    > > calls it Second-Spring Moon because of the new growth in a number of
                    > > plants, including occasional dandelions.
                    >
                    > ***THAT*** is very interesting (Second-Spring)...! Thanks, Rick.
                    >
                    > Grew up on a farm in Northern Ohio and understand that name!
                    >
                    > Happy Trails,
                    >
                    > J.D.
                    >

                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    I have all my money tied up in non-negotiable debts so no one can
                    take it
                    away from me.

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    _____

                  • Bill Martin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                      eeehhhhhh ehhhhh WRONG!!

                      Funny, but wrong.

                      No cheating now.... don't look it up. Everyone has heard about Blue
                      Moons.... what/when is it??

                      Bill

                      On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:58 PM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > OK, folks, here's another little bit of campfire trivia:
                      > > WITHOUT going to your almanac, encyclopedia or the internet; in ten
                      > > seconds or less:
                      > >
                      > > What is a Blue Moon?
                      >
                      > When my cold butt hangs out of the SPE....?
                      >
                      > BUT....! Only ONCE IN A....<g>....
                      >
                      > J.D.

                      > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping
                      > Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      "Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
                      and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."
                      -- Dick Brandon
                    • Bill Martin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                        Did you look it up? Or did you KNOW it??

                        <GRIN> Be honest, now.

                        If you already knew that, then you win a free walk in the park.

                        Bill

                        From the fertile slopes of Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island

                      • Arron Robinson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                          I knew that one, and for my prize, I will be camping during the full of the
                          next blue moon...

                          Which will be in June of 2007 acording to the Navy (this part I did look
                          up).

                          _____

                          Did you look it up? Or did you KNOW it??

                          <GRIN> Be honest, now.

                          If you already knew that, then you win a free walk in the park.

                          Bill

                          On Oct 18, 2005, at 3:06 PM, Arron Robinson wrote:

                          > the second full moon during any given month
                          >
                          > _____

                          From the fertile slopes of Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island

                          Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                          amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                          105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food Rv
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                          g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                          sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping
                          Gsi
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors Happy
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper Outdoors
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                          food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                          g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
                            Yep!! Good on ya!

                            Bill

                            On Oct 18, 2005, at 5:33 PM, Arron Robinson wrote:

                            > I knew that one, and for my prize, I will be camping during the
                            > full of the
                            > next blue moon...
                            >
                            > Which will be in June of 2007 acording to the Navy (this part I did
                            > look
                            > up).
                            >
                            > _____

                            If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
                            Peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the
                            looting started.
                            ...................unknown
                          • Matthew Takeda
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 19, 2005
                              Bill Martin wrote:
                              >OK, folks, here's another little bit of campfire trivia:
                              >WITHOUT going to your almanac, encyclopedia or the internet; in ten
                              >seconds or less:
                              >
                              >What is a Blue Moon?
                              >
                              >tick tock tick tock.....

                              There are two different kinds of Blue Moon. One, as previously noted,
                              is the second full moon in one month. The other is the third full
                              moon in a season that has four full moons (most have only three).

                              Matthew Takeda
                              the JOAT
                            • Bill Martin
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 19, 2005
                                Matthew, Aloha ka kou,

                                As another JOAT, I'd like to know the reference for your answer.

                                That's a good one.

                                But, I KNOW, you looked it up. <GRIN>

                                Bill

                                On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:54 AM, Matthew Takeda wrote:

                                > Bill Martin wrote:
                                >

                                > >What is a Blue Moon?
                                > >
                                > >tick tock tick tock.....
                                >
                                > There are two different kinds of Blue Moon. One, as previously noted,
                                > is the second full moon in one month. The other is the third full
                                > moon in a season that has four full moons (most have only three).
                                >
                                > Matthew Takeda
                                > the JOAT

                                Bill Martin's Creative Services
                                Mac OS 9.x, X Consulting services and support
                                Digital Photography, Audio, Video
                                Copywriting, Production services
                                Aerial & Underwater Video and Still Photography
                                bmartin@...
                                hookoa@...
                              • seuss910
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 19, 2005
                                  Gotta disagree on this one. That's a pre-internet urban legend
                                  popularized by Trivial Pursuit. If you're interested, see
                                  http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-blu2.htm
                                  for a pretty good etymology.

                                  wrote:

                                  > Yep!! Good on ya!
                                  >
                                  > Bill

                                  . . .

                                  > > On Oct 18, 2005, at 3:06 PM, Arron Robinson wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > the second full moon during any given month
                                  > > >
                                  > > > _____

                                • Bill Martin
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 19, 2005
                                    Hmmm still don't see as how its "wrong". Today, it is widely
                                    accepted as being two full moons in one month.

                                    Whether or not that was the etymology in 1548 is immaterial today.

                                    In the 1800's, if you called a woman "homely", she would feel
                                    complimented, as it meant she was a good home-manager for her husband
                                    and children. Today... if you call a woman "homely", you'd better
                                    duck and run.

                                    Our language is a growing, evolving, living language. It changes
                                    with time, and regionally.

                                    I refer you to an excellent book on the English language called "The
                                    Story of English" by Robert Crum, William Cran, and Robert MacNeil.
                                    It has been recently updated and revised, and you may be able to find
                                    it on Amazon.... or at your local library.
                                    Good reading.

                                    The "English" we speak in the U.S. is totally different from the
                                    "English" currently being spoken in Asia, and even in parts of Britain!

                                    The Brits already know that the language we speak in the U. S. is not
                                    "really" English! <GRIN>

                                    Bill

                                    On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:37 PM, seuss910 wrote:

                                    > Gotta disagree on this one. That's a pre-internet urban legend
                                    > popularized by Trivial Pursuit. If you're interested, see
                                    > http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-blu2.htm
                                    > for a pretty good etymology.
                                    >
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Martin <bmartin@i...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Yep!! Good on ya!
                                    > >
                                    > > Bill
                                    >
                                    > . . .

                                    You recommend Macs to your friends, and Intel machines
                                    to those whom you don't mind billing by the hour.
                                    -- Anonymous
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                      Great article.

                                      Now we need to do the same sort of thing to show how all this nasty
                                      sleeping on the ground is just an accident of history, the
                                      military-industrial complex, war-like nations, the need to crowd outdoor
                                      sleepers into fields and into the open, various generals' penchants for
                                      orderly rows, and the military roots of the scouting movement.

                                      Then we will understand how Baden Powell's organization does not even
                                      remember the founder's hammock and won't allow hammocks in the Philmont
                                      reserve It like the bloody Sherif of Nottingham arresting folk for
                                      shooting the occasional game in the lord's Sherwood Forest. For
                                      shame... The woods are for enjoyment, stewardship, and freedom. ;-)

                                      Rick

                                      seuss910 wrote:

                                      > Gotta disagree on this one. That's a pre-internet urban legend
                                      > popularized by Trivial Pursuit. If you're interested, see
                                      > http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-blu2.htm
                                      > for a pretty good etymology.

                                    • Bill in Houston
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                        Let's make sure to get "axis of evil", "evildoers", and "rogue nations"
                                        in there too.

                                        Bill in Houston

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                          Bill Martin wrote:

                                          > Hmmm still don't see as how its "wrong". Today, it is widely
                                          > accepted as being two full moons in one month.
                                          >
                                          > Whether or not that was the etymology in 1548 is immaterial today.

                                          It's not immaterial. It is interesting. :-p

                                          Regardless of how language changes, it is fun to go back and find out
                                          what the history of a phrase or word is.

                                          I knew that the blue moon was the second full moon of a month. I think
                                          I learned it from trivial pursuit, now that I have read about it. To
                                          read Suess' reference was very entertaining and showed me how some
                                          things I really know I know are based on froth and foam instead of bedrock.

                                          Today, I think it would be right to say that a blue moon is a second
                                          full moon of a calendar month - but who needs months when we have
                                          moons? It would also be good to call the fourth moon of a season a Blue
                                          moon so that the moons stay in sequence to their names. That is a
                                          useful trick that I now know I owe to a Maine Almanac writer. To
                                          describe a new moon with earthshine on it as a blue moon because it
                                          looks like green cheese (green in the sense of not being ripe, not green
                                          in color) is a meaning with symbolic meanings I can grow with. And just
                                          to describe something as very unusual or nearly impossible as a blue
                                          moon is also pretty useful.

                                          What are some of the other things I have learned that I used to already
                                          know?

                                          I once knew that it was necessary to be able to start a fire with two
                                          matches. Now, I use none, just a spark.
                                          I once knew that I needed to have dry tinder to start a fire with a
                                          spark. Now I know that wet tinder is infinitely easier. (a couple
                                          drops of alcohol on a candle)
                                          I once knew that I could not stay dry under a tarp. Now (in a hammock)
                                          I stay much drier under one than I ever stayed in a tent.
                                          I once knew that I could not make my own shoes. Now I can.
                                          I once knew that camping outdoors in the winter was very uncomfortable.
                                          Now it is more comfortable than summer.
                                          I once knew that I needed to be very careful in the wilderness of many
                                          dangers. Now I know of no wilderness, just a second home.

                                          Learning is fun, always, except when it is painful, then only sometimes.

                                          Waxing poetic this morning,

                                          Risk

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                            I'll work on it.

                                            Working....

                                            Here is part of the draft history of our descent from the trees:

                                            There have been times and places when for military reasons it has been
                                            found necessary for national authorities to require hikers and campers
                                            to abandon their natural and individual camping spaces in the woods. No
                                            longer able to hang from their rightful place between two trees, these
                                            hikers have been handed a rifle and told to find a way to sleep on open
                                            ground, in the full dew of the early morning hours, and with an infinite
                                            number of lumps, bumps, roots, and rocks under their sleeping bodies.

                                            "But general," one was heard to complain, "I just want to move my
                                            stinking tent two feet north, so that I don't have to sleep on that big
                                            rock."

                                            "Ah, sonny," the 07 replied, "But then the tent rows will not be
                                            straight and regular for the picture."

                                            This may be the origin of the phrase "Axis of Evil," which originally
                                            referred to the axis of the soldier's spine, laying on uncomfortable
                                            ground and only later was appropriated by those with no field experience
                                            as having something to do with evil of certain generals because it
                                            sounded so military and had such a malignant history.

                                            Evildoers, were almost certainly those who made the call for hammock
                                            campers to take up the axis of evil posture in the middle of the
                                            stinking fields instead of letting the hikers stay in the woods where
                                            there was far more to see and they could at least be comfortable when
                                            they were asleep in their hammocks. And rogue nations, of course, were
                                            the red colored nations (states) who had the audacity to suggest the
                                            military actions which made the sleeping in fields necessary to begin
                                            with.

                                            (Excerpt from the soon to be released "Descent from the Trees."

                                            Risk

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                              Nice work.

                                              I find that I not only get "the axis of evil" but also "the hip bone of
                                              evil" and "the shoulder joint of evil" when I have to sleep on the
                                              ground.

                                              Bill in Houston

                                              > This may be the origin of the phrase "Axis of Evil," which
                                              originally
                                              > referred to the axis of the soldier's spine, laying on uncomfortable
                                              > ground and only later
                                            • J.D. Hoessle
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
                                                > What are some of the other things I have learned that I used to
                                                > know?
                                                > I once knew that I needed to be very careful in the wilderness of
                                                > many dangers. Now I know of no wilderness, just a second home.

                                                WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cool.......!

                                                Thanks Rick!

                                                Hppy Trails,

                                                J.D.
                                              • Matthew Takeda
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 21, 2005
                                                  Bill Martin wrote:
                                                  >As another JOAT, I'd like to know the reference for your answer.

                                                  Umm .... something I read back in the sixties.

                                                  >That's a good one.
                                                  >
                                                  >But, I KNOW, you looked it up. <GRIN>

                                                  Yep, back when I was in grade school, but the reference was wrong.
                                                  The "second full moon in a month" definition is incorrect. Only the
                                                  "third full moon in a season with four full moons" definition is right.

                                                  <http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/article_127_1.asp>

                                                  Oh, wait ...

                                                  Were you talking about the Blue Moons or the different names for the moons?

                                                  I'm not sure where I got the names, but a quick search brings up these:

                                                  <http://www.thealmightyguru.com/pointless/Moon.html>
                                                  <http://members.aol.com/ivycleartoes/moons.html>
                                                  <http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonnames.htm>

                                                  Matthew Takeda
                                                  the JOAT
                                                • Bill Martin
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 21, 2005
                                                    Thanks for this....

                                                    Informative!

                                                    On Oct 20, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Matthew Takeda wrote:

                                                    > Yep, back when I was in grade school, but the reference was wrong.
                                                    > The "second full moon in a month" definition is incorrect. Only the
                                                    > "third full moon in a season with four full moons" definition is
                                                    > right.
                                                    >
                                                    > <http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/article_127_1.asp>

                                                    bill