First S.P.E. adventures

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2005
      Perfect day here in Northern Virginia....!!! Finally quit raining
      yesterday (Yeah!). We have blue sky, temps 68 F - 75 F and a good
      breeze: 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

      First chance I have had to clean gutters, mow, etc. THEN....! I
      grabbed my new Mr. Speer hammock and the SPE. Just HAD to see how it
      felt!

      Tried putting the 1/4" X 20" wide gray foam in the SPE. That is a
      struggle 'cause of the non-slip / sticky surface of the gray foam.
      Gave up on that... Put my T-Rest 3/4 UL in the sleeve and the blue
      foam in the "wings".

      Even with the nice temps today, the breeze was strong enough to give
      me an idea of what to expect because anytime I was against the hammock
      fabric it was REALLY cool in ten seconds. But, the SPE kinda
      "wrapped" around me without being constricting and protected my
      shoulders down to my knees. Tossed and turned and fidgeted around and
      the T-Rest-in-SPE moved around / slipped out of place here and there.

      Next, I put the full 80" long gray foam in the hammock and the
      T-Rest-in- ON TOP of the gray foam. That worked just fine because
      there was no movement/slipping betweeen the SPE and gray foam. I
      rather like the idea of using the full length gray foam becasue it is
      under my head and lower legs & feet. Eventually, I will trim it down
      and contour the corners for weight savings; but, may keep the full
      length for really cold temps.

      Tried 3/8" blue cc under the T-Rest-in-SPE. That didn't work quite as
      well and there was some movement. I *REALLY* tossed, turned, twisted;
      approximating side, back, belly sleeping.

      Nodded off for 20 minutes or so... Checked Temp at 68 F... I was
      damp with perspiration - wearing cotton tee, cotton work pants, cotton
      sox.

      Dropping to 49 F tonight with 15 - 25 mpg winds. Planning on polypro
      long underwear and a light fleece blanket on top. Gray foam in
      hammock on bottom, T-Rest-in-SPE with 3/8" blue cc in wings on top of
      that. It appears I will be toasty!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.