RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks in parks

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi Jeff, thanks for your comments and welcome---we need more folks like you
      to speak up. Are you a Park Ranger in a MS State Park? If so which one?
      You state that other MS parks also allow hammocks-is this your personal
      experience or an official position? Are you referring to state or national
      parks? Overall, there seems to be more restrictions at state parks than
      national parks, so I'm just trying to clarify what you are referring to..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
        Hey Ed,
        yes I am a park ranger for the mississippi State Parks. Wall Doxey
        State Park just south of Memphis TN. We have no rules stating that you
        can not use a hammock in our parks. As far as the national parks I
        have been told that hammocks can be used aslong as they don't harm the
        trees. I think it is up to the National Park you are goin to. I go to
        the smokie national park in TN. I do alot of baclpacking up there and
        was told they did not have a problem with me using a hammock. As far
        as other state parks in other state I can not speak for them. I have
        used mine in the following states and their parks..AR, Al, TN, MS.

        Hope this helps to clear things up from my post

        Jeff

        One day ED I hope to try one of your hammocks out.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
          Jeff,

          Would you be interested in developing a personal homepage with your
          hammock experience? I'd be glad to help you set it up and I'd be glad
          to host it if you don't wish to host it yourself. It would be very
          helpful for a State Park ranger to have a public presence to describe
          your experience with the hammock, that you have thought about its
          effects on trees and that you have not seen any evidence of damage. For
          other rangers who are trying to come up with policy, such a resource
          could be important.

          If you are interested in setting up a page, let me know at
          ra1ATimriskDOTcom

          If you have some pictures of your hammock set-up, it may be a matter of
          only several hours to develop the page.

          (My home page is: http://www.imrisk.com)

          Rick

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
            Great Jeff.

            I will add Wall Doxey SP, MS to my list of hammock-friendly State Parks in
            the next Hammock Camping Newsletter..Ed

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
              I've not read any posts for quite a while and just now got back
              around to reading them. After the subject of certain parks not
              allowing hammocks came up a few months ago I e-mailed Cheaha State
              Park, Guntersville State Park, Oak Mountain State Park, and Desoto
              State Park - all in Alabama - and the rangers at all these parks
              responded that they had no regulations against hammocks from the
              trees. After these four responded this way I'd guess none of the
              State Parks in Alabama have a problem of hammocks.

              john

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jeffdavis_203"
              <jeffdavis_203@y...> wrote:

              > Hey Ed,
              > yes I am a park ranger for the mississippi State Parks. Wall Doxey
              > State Park just south of Memphis TN. We have no rules stating that
              you
              > can not use a hammock in our parks. As far as the national parks I
              > have been told that hammocks can be used aslong as they don't harm
              the
              > trees. I think it is up to the National Park you are goin to. I go
              > the smokie national park in TN. I do alot of baclpacking up there
              and
              > was told they did not have a problem with me using a hammock. As
              far
              > as other state parks in other state I can not speak for them. I
              have
              > used mine in the following states and their parks..AR, Al, TN, MS.
              >
              > Hope this helps to clear things up from my post
              >
              > Jeff
              >
              > One day ED I hope to try one of your hammocks out.
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Jeff, thanks for your comments and welcome---we need more
              folks
              > like you
              > > to speak up. Are you a Park Ranger in a MS State Park? If so
              > which one?
              > > You state that other MS parks also allow hammocks-is this your
              personal
              > > experience or an official position? Are you referring to state
              or
              > national
              > > parks? Overall, there seems to be more restrictions at state
              parks than
              > > national parks, so I'm just trying to clarify what you are
              referring
              > to..Ed
              > >

              > > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
              > > Author, Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide
              > >
              > > Editor, Hammock Camping News
              > >
              > > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
              > >

              > > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > > _____

            • J.F. Hill
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005

                <jeffdavis_203@y...> wrote:

                > Hey Ed,
                > yes I am a park ranger for the mississippi State Parks. Wall Doxey
                > State Park just south of Memphis TN. We have no rules stating that
                you
                > can not use a hammock in our parks. As far as the national parks I
                > have been told that hammocks can be used aslong as they don't harm
                the
                > trees. I think it is up to the National Park you are goin to. I go
                > the smokie national park in TN. I do alot of baclpacking up there
                and
                > was told they did not have a problem with me using a hammock. As
                far
                > as other state parks in other state I can not speak for them. I
                have
                > used mine in the following states and their parks..AR, Al, TN, MS.
                >
                > Hope this helps to clear things up from my post
                >
                > Jeff
                >
                > One day ED I hope to try one of your hammocks out.
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Jeff, thanks for your comments and welcome---we need more
                folks
                > like you
                > > to speak up. Are you a Park Ranger in a MS State Park? If so
                > which one?
                > > You state that other MS parks also allow hammocks-is this your
                personal
                > > experience or an official position? Are you referring to state
                or
                > national
                > > parks? Overall, there seems to be more restrictions at state
                parks than
                > > national parks, so I'm just trying to clarify what you are
                referring
                > to..Ed
                > >

                > > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                > > Author, Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide
                > >
                > > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                > >
                > > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                > >

                > > _____

              • J.F. Hill
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                  I don't know why I double posted. What can I say? Sorry.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill" <nil_dog@y...>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 13, 2005
                    Thanks John for the update on Alabama State Parks. Did your discussions
                    differentiate between backcounty camping & established campgrounds? I hope
                    other folks continue to share their experiences with their state parks. I
                    have already begun a list of hammock-friendly state parks for the next
                    newsletter...Ed

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                    _____

                  • john hill
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 19, 2005
                      Well, the question as I asked it is below. I asked the same question of all parks, just changed the name. Their answers are listed also and they answered pretty quickly too.

                      Is it permissible to hang hammocks from the trees at Cheaha ? In the campground as well as in the primitive areas? What would be any restrictions? My hammock has 2 inch wide nylon straps that go around the tree with the intent of protecting the tree rather than just wrapping a rope around them.

                      DeSoto State Park does not have any specific regulations for hammock camping in the improved campground or the primitive campground.

                      Yes you can use a hammock at your campsite.

                      Cheaha: yes it is ok to place hammocks. I wish more guests were concerned about the trees. Also, I assume that the hammock would be used with proper camping equipment as required by our regulations.

                      Our regulations require a tent or an RV and you must camp in our designated areas. I am sorry for the confusing answer.

                      Park Supt.

                      Guntersville:

                      It is permissible to use a hammock while camping in either campground.

                      I'll be checking with other parks as the time or need arises.

                      john

                      Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:Thanks John for the update on Alabama State Parks. Did your discussions

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 19, 2005
                        Thanks for clarifying things John. Sure sounds like AL state parks are less
                        restrictive than those in some other states. This is great to know...Ed

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 21, 2005
                          Well, let me be really clear - I don't want any misconceptions. The
                          only parks I've checked with so far are those listed - Guntersville,
                          Mt. Cheaha, Oak Mountain, and Desoto. When I check with others I'll
                          post that info. I kinda think that if you do like some have said
                          and go to the ranger first and explain what you're going to do you
                          might not have any trouble. Wishful thinking maybe?

                          john

                          > Thanks for clarifying things John. Sure sounds like AL state
                          parks are less
                          > restrictive than those in some other states. This is great to
                          know...Ed

                          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                          >
                          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                          >
                          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                          >

                          > _____

                          Outdoors

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------

                          > _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          > * Visit your group "hammockcamping
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping> " on the web.

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                          > _____

                        • Bill in Houston
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 21, 2005
                            wrote:
                            > I kinda think that if you do like some have said
                            > and go to the ranger first and explain what you're going to do you
                            > might not have any trouble. Wishful thinking maybe?

                            It's difficult to imagine anything good coming from talking to the
                            ranger ahead of time. Nothing personal...

                            Bill in Houston
                          • Mark Bayern
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
                              > It's difficult to imagine anything good coming from talking to the
                              > ranger ahead of time. Nothing personal...

                              Yep, but I have a counter-example. Normally I don't tell rangers what
                              our camping arangements are, but my 10 year old decided to brag to a
                              Bastrop SP ranger this weekend that we would be using hammocks.
                              Luckily the ranger's only comment was, "no nails allowed in trees". I
                              told her that we like to be kind to trees and that we use wide straps.

                              Mark
                            • Bill in Houston
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
                                Maybe I'm narrow-minded, but I don't see how that is "good". I guess
                                in that she gave you a performance-based standard rather than an
                                outright prohibition? So that is nice...

                                Great weekend to be at Bastrop SP. Did you guys hike the Lost Pines
                                trail? My 10-yo wants to do that.

                                Bill in Houston

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mbayern@g...> wrote:

                                > > It's difficult to imagine anything good coming from talking to the
                                > > ranger ahead of time. Nothing personal...
                                >
                                > Yep, but I have a counter-example. Normally I don't tell rangers what
                                > our camping arangements are, but my 10 year old decided to brag to a
                                > Bastrop SP ranger this weekend that we would be using hammocks.
                                > Luckily the ranger's only comment was, "no nails allowed in trees". I
                                > told her that we like to be kind to trees and that we use wide straps.
                                >
                                > Mark

                              • Mark Bayern
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
                                  On 10/24/05, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:
                                  > Maybe I'm narrow-minded, but I don't see how that is "good". I guess
                                  > in that she gave you a performance-based standard rather than an
                                  > outright prohibition? So that is nice...

                                  Well I thought it was good. This was a ranger who didn't automatically
                                  say, 'nothing attached to trees'. She was worried about damage to
                                  trees.

                                  > Great weekend to be at Bastrop SP. Did you guys hike the Lost Pines
                                  > trail? My 10-yo wants to do that.

                                  This was a big orienteering weekend in the park. We hiked some of the
                                  trail, and crossed it a lot looking for hidden transmitters. Spent
                                  Saturday night on the trail.

                                  http://www.texasardf.com --and--
                                  http://www.wm5r.org/photos/2005_texas_ardf/ for photos and more
                                  information.

                                  Mark
                                • Bill in Houston
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mbayern@g...> wrote:
                                    > Well I thought it was good. This was a ranger who didn't automatically
                                    > say, 'nothing attached to trees'. She was worried about damage to
                                    > trees.

                                    Ya, you are right, that is good.

                                    > This was a big orienteering weekend in the park. We hiked some of the
                                    > trail, and crossed it a lot looking for hidden transmitters. Spent
                                    > Saturday night on the trail.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.texasardf.org --and--
                                    > http://www.wm5r.org/photos/2005_texas_ardf/ for photos and more
                                    > information.

                                    Looks like he had a good time. Sorry you didn't find any transmitters.

                                    Bill in Houston