Re: coffee hammock

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
      paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
        wrote:
        > why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
        > weight on the bottom?
        >
        > and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
        > with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
        > rest of the cup from sliding through.
        .
        .
        . moe... one thing i didn`t add to the explaination is the "side
        line" i use beside my hammock. it`s simply a line (ed`s orange line)
        tyed to the same two trees my hammock is tyed to w/ a fair amount of
        slack. it has several loops in bites tied along its length. it is
        held mabey a foot or so out from the side of the hammock by attaching
        to the handle of a hiking stick, and running a 3rd line down & out to
        a stake (probably one that`s holding my tarp). this is the reason
        for leaving the slack when tying it to the trees. the hiking stick
        stands near the head area of my hammock. (note; 2 hiking sticks
        could be used, the 2nd stick near the foot area). this creates a
        horizonal line for hanging wet rain jacket/pants, empty pack, and
        other orginization uses. also one could hang there water bag at the
        top of the pole handle so it`s off the ground & accessable through
        the night. a few of the small biners from walmart (it takes 5 to go
        over 1oz) can make quick, easy access for some items. two of them
        make attaching & unattaching the cup hammock a breeze. ...slowhike
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .

        > --
        .
        .
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
          > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
          > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
          > >-actually I was lamenting the lack of a lightweight beer holder!

          It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home brew...<g>..!

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
            brew...<g>..!

            Duct tape. Works for everything. :p
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
              On 10/5/05, J.D. Hoessle <JD@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
              > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
              > > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
              > > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

              Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?
              Ralph :]

            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)

                BiH

                > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                brew...<g>..!

                > Happy Trails,
                >
                > J.D.
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                  > Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?

                  Not if it's empty...duh! :)
                • hoi1949
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                    even easier - take a short piece of light line (ex inner core from 550
                    cord) - tie a bowline loop in one end and tie other end onto the neck
                    of the bottle using a constrictor knot

                    HOI

                    <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                    > You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)
                    >
                    > BiH
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...> wrote:
                    > > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                    > brew...<g>..!
                    > >
                    > > Happy Trails,
                    > >
                    > > J.D.
                  • T.W. Cook
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                      While a constrictor knot would probably work, there's actually a knot
                      specifically for this purpose, called a "jug sling knot" or sometimes
                      a "jug sling hitch". Pretty easy to tie, works well. Instructions at
                      http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/jug_sling/jug_sling.htm among other
                      places. It's especially handy for taking 1 or 2 liter soft drink
                      bottles (which make great water bottles) and providing an attachment
                      point to tie them onto a pack or the like.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                        HOI & TW-thanks. Now I have a simple way to keep my beer close at hand...Ed

                        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                        Editor, Hammock Camping News

                        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                        _____

                        While a constrictor knot would probably work, there's actually a knot
                        specifically for this purpose, called a "jug sling knot" or sometimes
                        a "jug sling hitch". Pretty easy to tie, works well. Instructions at
                        http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/jug_sling/jug_sling.htm among other
                        places. It's especially handy for taking 1 or 2 liter soft drink
                        bottles (which make great water bottles) and providing an attachment
                        point to tie them onto a pack or the like.

                        On 10/6/05, hoi1949 <hoi1949@...> wrote:
                        > even easier - take a short piece of light line (ex inner core from 550
                        > cord) - tie a bowline loop in one end and tie other end onto the neck
                        > of the bottle using a constrictor knot
                        >
                        > HOI

                        Camping
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                        amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                        105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                        Camping
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                        Rv
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                        g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                        sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                        Gsi
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                        Happy
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                        Outdoors
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "hammockcamping