Re: [Hammock Camping] coffee hammock

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      The third line can allow use of the two trees that the hammock is tied
      to and one additional tree, pulling the holder away from the centerline
      and away from the hammock. For the messies among us, the coffee will
      not spill into the hammock if we are a little abrupt in grabbing the
      coffee cup. Pretty cool idea Moe.

      Rick

      Moe T. Crow wrote:

      > why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
      > weight on the bottom?
      >
      > and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
      > with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
      > rest of the cup from sliding through.
      >
      > On 10/4/05, tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
      > > ed... if i`m not mistaken, i remember hearing you say "i`m waiting
      > > for someone to come up w/ a lightweight coffee cup holder. well, i
      > > think i have it! i had already been giving it some thought before hot
      > > springs, but your comment encouraged me to press on. at first i was
      > > trying to make it WAY to complicatied. today i think i have the basic
      > > solution. as usual, others will have helpful additional changes.
      > > this one will depend on having a horisonal line to hang from, but i`m
      > > still working on a light, but sturdy way to attach it to other
      > > objects. OK... start by finding a light bowl that is just slightly
      > > larger than your coffee mug. a couple options to consider; a cut-off
      > > 2 liter soda bottle,or desposible ziplock brand food storage dish.
      > > cut the top off so that when your cup sits in it, the top of the bowl
      > > comes about 3/4 of the way up your cup. you may need to cut-out for
      > > the handle. w/ a hole punch (for paper), punch 2 holes on each side
      > > about 1&1/2 - 2" apart. form a loop on each side w/ line. this same
      > > line should continue underneath the cup & be tied where they meet in
      > > the center on the bottom. from this line underneath a weight can be
      > > hung (small mesh bag w/ rock added). the horisonal line will need 2
      > > loops-in -bights about 12" apart. small caribiners can be used to
      > > attach the cup hammock to the horisonal line. BOY... i wish i had a
      > > digital camera. ...slowhike
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
      > matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
        paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
          wrote:
          > why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
          > weight on the bottom?
          >
          > and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
          > with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
          > rest of the cup from sliding through.
          .
          .
          . moe... one thing i didn`t add to the explaination is the "side
          line" i use beside my hammock. it`s simply a line (ed`s orange line)
          tyed to the same two trees my hammock is tyed to w/ a fair amount of
          slack. it has several loops in bites tied along its length. it is
          held mabey a foot or so out from the side of the hammock by attaching
          to the handle of a hiking stick, and running a 3rd line down & out to
          a stake (probably one that`s holding my tarp). this is the reason
          for leaving the slack when tying it to the trees. the hiking stick
          stands near the head area of my hammock. (note; 2 hiking sticks
          could be used, the 2nd stick near the foot area). this creates a
          horizonal line for hanging wet rain jacket/pants, empty pack, and
          other orginization uses. also one could hang there water bag at the
          top of the pole handle so it`s off the ground & accessable through
          the night. a few of the small biners from walmart (it takes 5 to go
          over 1oz) can make quick, easy access for some items. two of them
          make attaching & unattaching the cup hammock a breeze. ...slowhike
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

          > --
          .
          .
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
            > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
            > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
            > >-actually I was lamenting the lack of a lightweight beer holder!

            It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home brew...<g>..!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
              > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
              brew...<g>..!

              Duct tape. Works for everything. :p
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                On 10/5/05, J.D. Hoessle <JD@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                > > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
                > > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

                Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?
                Ralph :]

              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                  You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)

                  BiH

                  > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                  brew...<g>..!

                  > Happy Trails,
                  >
                  > J.D.
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                    > Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?

                    Not if it's empty...duh! :)
                  • hoi1949
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                      even easier - take a short piece of light line (ex inner core from 550
                      cord) - tie a bowline loop in one end and tie other end onto the neck
                      of the bottle using a constrictor knot

                      HOI

                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                      > You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)
                      >
                      > BiH
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...> wrote:
                      > > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                      > brew...<g>..!
                      > >
                      > > Happy Trails,
                      > >
                      > > J.D.
                    • T.W. Cook
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                        While a constrictor knot would probably work, there's actually a knot
                        specifically for this purpose, called a "jug sling knot" or sometimes
                        a "jug sling hitch". Pretty easy to tie, works well. Instructions at
                        http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/jug_sling/jug_sling.htm among other
                        places. It's especially handy for taking 1 or 2 liter soft drink
                        bottles (which make great water bottles) and providing an attachment
                        point to tie them onto a pack or the like.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                          HOI & TW-thanks. Now I have a simple way to keep my beer close at hand...Ed

                          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                          Editor, Hammock Camping News

                          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                          _____

                          While a constrictor knot would probably work, there's actually a knot
                          specifically for this purpose, called a "jug sling knot" or sometimes
                          a "jug sling hitch". Pretty easy to tie, works well. Instructions at
                          http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/jug_sling/jug_sling.htm among other
                          places. It's especially handy for taking 1 or 2 liter soft drink
                          bottles (which make great water bottles) and providing an attachment
                          point to tie them onto a pack or the like.

                          On 10/6/05, hoi1949 <hoi1949@...> wrote:
                          > even easier - take a short piece of light line (ex inner core from 550
                          > cord) - tie a bowline loop in one end and tie other end onto the neck
                          > of the bottle using a constrictor knot
                          >
                          > HOI

                          Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                          amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                          105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                          Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                          Rv
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                          g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                          sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                          Gsi
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                          Happy
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                          Outdoors
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                          food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                          g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "hammockcamping