Re: [Hammock Camping] coffee hammock

  • Moe T. Crow
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
      weight on the bottom?

      and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
      with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
      rest of the cup from sliding through.

      > ed... if i`m not mistaken, i remember hearing you say "i`m waiting
      > for someone to come up w/ a lightweight coffee cup holder. well, i
      > think i have it! i had already been giving it some thought before hot
      > springs, but your comment encouraged me to press on. at first i was
      > trying to make it WAY to complicatied. today i think i have the basic
      > solution. as usual, others will have helpful additional changes.
      > this one will depend on having a horisonal line to hang from, but i`m
      > still working on a light, but sturdy way to attach it to other
      > objects. OK... start by finding a light bowl that is just slightly
      > larger than your coffee mug. a couple options to consider; a cut-off
      > 2 liter soda bottle,or desposible ziplock brand food storage dish.
      > cut the top off so that when your cup sits in it, the top of the bowl
      > comes about 3/4 of the way up your cup. you may need to cut-out for
      > the handle. w/ a hole punch (for paper), punch 2 holes on each side
      > about 1&1/2 - 2" apart. form a loop on each side w/ line. this same
      > line should continue underneath the cup & be tied where they meet in
      > the center on the bottom. from this line underneath a weight can be
      > hung (small mesh bag w/ rock added). the horisonal line will need 2
      > loops-in -bights about 12" apart. small caribiners can be used to
      > attach the cup hammock to the horisonal line. BOY... i wish i had a
      > digital camera. ...slowhike

      "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
      matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        Sounds neat slowhike! I wish you had a digital camera too-I sure would like
        to see a picture of your coffee cup holder. You know you're much too
        polite-actually I was lamenting the lack of a lightweight beer holder! But
        I think I can modify your cup design..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

[...]

        Camping
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
        amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
        105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

        Camping
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

        Rv
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
        g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
        sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

        Gsi
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

        Happy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

        Outdoors
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          The third line can allow use of the two trees that the hammock is tied
          to and one additional tree, pulling the holder away from the centerline
          and away from the hammock. For the messies among us, the coffee will
          not spill into the hammock if we are a little abrupt in grabbing the
          coffee cup. Pretty cool idea Moe.

          Rick

          Moe T. Crow wrote:

          > why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
          > weight on the bottom?
          >
          > and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
          > with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
          > rest of the cup from sliding through.
          >
          > On 10/4/05, tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
          > > ed... if i`m not mistaken, i remember hearing you say "i`m waiting
          > > for someone to come up w/ a lightweight coffee cup holder. well, i
          > > think i have it! i had already been giving it some thought before hot
          > > springs, but your comment encouraged me to press on. at first i was
          > > trying to make it WAY to complicatied. today i think i have the basic
          > > solution. as usual, others will have helpful additional changes.
          > > this one will depend on having a horisonal line to hang from, but i`m
          > > still working on a light, but sturdy way to attach it to other
          > > objects. OK... start by finding a light bowl that is just slightly
          > > larger than your coffee mug. a couple options to consider; a cut-off
          > > 2 liter soda bottle,or desposible ziplock brand food storage dish.
          > > cut the top off so that when your cup sits in it, the top of the bowl
          > > comes about 3/4 of the way up your cup. you may need to cut-out for
          > > the handle. w/ a hole punch (for paper), punch 2 holes on each side
          > > about 1&1/2 - 2" apart. form a loop on each side w/ line. this same
          > > line should continue underneath the cup & be tied where they meet in
          > > the center on the bottom. from this line underneath a weight can be
          > > hung (small mesh bag w/ rock added). the horisonal line will need 2
          > > loops-in -bights about 12" apart. small caribiners can be used to
          > > attach the cup hammock to the horisonal line. BOY... i wish i had a
          > > digital camera. ...slowhike
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
          > matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
            paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
              wrote:
              > why only 2 lines? if you added a third, couldn't you get rid of the
              > weight on the bottom?
              >
              > and if you have a dedicated coffee cup, couldn't you use just a ring
              > with those 3 lines going up? the handle of the cup should stop the
              > rest of the cup from sliding through.
              .
              .
              . moe... one thing i didn`t add to the explaination is the "side
              line" i use beside my hammock. it`s simply a line (ed`s orange line)
              tyed to the same two trees my hammock is tyed to w/ a fair amount of
              slack. it has several loops in bites tied along its length. it is
              held mabey a foot or so out from the side of the hammock by attaching
              to the handle of a hiking stick, and running a 3rd line down & out to
              a stake (probably one that`s holding my tarp). this is the reason
              for leaving the slack when tying it to the trees. the hiking stick
              stands near the head area of my hammock. (note; 2 hiking sticks
              could be used, the 2nd stick near the foot area). this creates a
              horizonal line for hanging wet rain jacket/pants, empty pack, and
              other orginization uses. also one could hang there water bag at the
              top of the pole handle so it`s off the ground & accessable through
              the night. a few of the small biners from walmart (it takes 5 to go
              over 1oz) can make quick, easy access for some items. two of them
              make attaching & unattaching the cup hammock a breeze. ...slowhike
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .

              > --
              .
              .
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
                > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
                > >-actually I was lamenting the lack of a lightweight beer holder!

                It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home brew...<g>..!

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                  > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                  brew...<g>..!

                  Duct tape. Works for everything. :p
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                    On 10/5/05, J.D. Hoessle <JD@...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                    > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                    > > a piece of paracord hanging down from the ridgeline with a bent
                    > > paperclip on the end. hook the paperclip thru the pull-top.

                    Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?
                    Ralph :]

                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                      You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)

                      BiH

                      > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                      brew...<g>..!

                      > Happy Trails,
                      >
                      > J.D.
                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                        > Doesn't the beer spill when you get up to pee?

                        Not if it's empty...duh! :)
                      • hoi1949
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                          even easier - take a short piece of light line (ex inner core from 550
                          cord) - tie a bowline loop in one end and tie other end onto the neck
                          of the bottle using a constrictor knot

                          HOI

                          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                          > You can use the grolsch bottles with the stopper and the bail...:-)
                          >
                          > BiH
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...> wrote:
                          > > It is sooooo difficult to get those pull tabs onto my home
                          > brew...<g>..!
                          > >
                          > > Happy Trails,
                          > >
                          > > J.D.
                        • T.W. Cook
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                            While a constrictor knot would probably work, there's actually a knot
                            specifically for this purpose, called a "jug sling knot" or sometimes
                            a "jug sling hitch". Pretty easy to tie, works well. Instructions at
                            http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/jug_sling/jug_sling.htm among other
                            places. It's especially handy for taking 1 or 2 liter soft drink
                            bottles (which make great water bottles) and providing an attachment
                            point to tie them onto a pack or the like.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                              HOI & TW-thanks. Now I have a simple way to keep my beer close at hand...Ed