Re: [Hammock Camping] Tree Damage

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 5, 2005
      Dave Womble said:
      > What we need is a well thought out plan that addresses the problems
      > in a way that hammock campers using a wide array of different
      > hammocks can live with

      For car camping tie-down straps work pretty well as adjustable
      webbing, and are often useful in the car too. On my bike I generally
      have tree climbing or rock climbing gear, so that's also not an issue.
      Backpacking, I tend to carry a cople of bits of spare webbing anyway,
      because it's useful and quite light. Not ultra-light backpacking
      light, though.

      Moz
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost